Julebryg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, sure did.
1 oz of National Homebrew's finest :D

I pitched the yeast from my starter on the 4th of August.
Before doing that, I re-tested SG, which came in at 1.058 @ 8.5C = 1.057 @ 20C
That's exactly what I'd based my recipe on, and means that my new 3V setup hit exactly 70% brew-house efficiency, with 23L of wort collected. It can only get better from here on in.

I like to check the gravity a couple of times during fermentation, just to get an idea of the speed the yeast eats the sugar at.
Today's gravity reading came in at 1.047, which I'm happy with.
The taste is already pretty nice, sweet, but with slight tones of the licorice root... I'm getting excited! I think this is going to be a very very nice drop :D
I'll be saving 3 or 4 tap king bottles for when my parents come down to Oz for Chrissy, I'm sure my dad'd appreciate a good Julebryg then ;)

I'll report back when I've had a proper taste of it, in my case, all bottle conditioned.

+1 on the star anise. I've got an extract brew that I've done a few times that uses 1 or 2 of them in the boil (sieved out and put in the fermenter as well). I was going to brew it again this weekend.

Using two stars gives a fairly potent licorice taste & smell - it takes about 4 months before it mellows enough to drink. You can certainly make do with one if you don't want a massive licorice hit. Cloves (about 4 or so) go well with the star anise.

This will be made tomorrow. It is a Christmas beer - first of November? That should be enough time to mellow.

Recipe: Julebryg I
Style: Wiener

Recipe Specifications
————————–
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.057 SG
Estimated Color: 17.2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 26.0 IBUs
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
————
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
4.19 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC) Grain 1 70.0 %
1.20 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 2 20.0 %
0.60 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (78.8 EBC) Grain 3 10.0 %
10.00 g Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus (CTZ) - Hop 4 15.0 IBUs
30.00 g Saaz - Boil 30.0 min Hop 5 8.4 IBUs
2.00 Items Anise, Star (Boil 30.0 mins) Spice 6 -
20.00 g Saaz - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 2.6 IBUs

——————————————————————–

ahhh OK, I never knew that about cloves, does it impart much flavour?

I personally don't like star anise, but love licorice and Dutch licorice. Perhaps I should swap ya a bottle of yours for a bottle of mine Indica? Maybe I'll change my mind regarding star anise :)
For me, I'd probably add a darker crystal malt to get a bit darker colour and rounded caramel flavours.

Happy to swap, bear in mind this is the first lager I have made. Darker colour I can do, I have some caraaroma around.

About 25g of Marynka added @ 15 minutes gives just a nice hint of anise on the nose and a subtle hint on the tongue.

That's the think with anise / licorise etc. anything beyond a hint and it becomes really dominant.

What Marynka brings to the glass is just enough and very pleasant. Outstanding in stouts/RIS/Baltic Porters as a late addition as well.

My current RIS has a touch of Marynka and Centennial together at 15 mins and is just right.
Martin

You can make it the way you prefer mate, just remember to bottle one up for me when time comes :)

Thanks for the tip Martin, I'll have to grab a bag of this of ya in my next order, especially coz if you keep talking to everyone about it, shhhh already ;) hahaha

Off topic, what's an RIS?

I added 100g Roasted Barley and the colour is amazing.
I made it yesterday and no chilled overnight. I was a bit concerned there was no anise flavour but this morning when I emptied the cube into the FV I was stunned.
A very nice background bit of something. This could be good.

sounds great! that should come out more during/ after fermentation if its anything like my batch :)
looking forward to swapping now :chug:

A slight update, diacetyl rest has started. 2 days ago I raised the temp from 14C to 19C.
The gravity then was about 1.029 and it's now sitting at 1.018, so according to Brew Mate, there's still 4 points to go.
Flavour-wise, it's tasting really good, slight hint of licorice root as I had hoped for. This one will have to mature a bit in the bottles once I get to that stage, but for now, it appears I've missed any diacetyl problems, which I'm really happy about :D

Cheers
Martin

I checked the gravity yesterday, and it was sitting steady on 1.014 as per my recipe :D
I've now crash chilled that at zero degrees, and it will sit like that until tomorrow, when I'll rack it into secondary with a hit of gelatine.
As I don't have that yeast strain in my yeast bank, I'll obviously also make sure I wash some for future use ;)

I'm pretty happy with the flavour at the moment, and can't wait to let it lager for a bit and then compare with the Danish version (oh no, I'll be forced to go to the Danish club and eat lots of delicious Danish food and drink beer LOL)

cheers
Martin

Well mine is done, diacetyl rest done. No shit flavours, rapid lagering now. I got down to 1012 I think. Very happy. I have an Aussie Premium Lager next to it too.

awesome, what do you mean by rapid lagering? do you bottle it and keep it in the fermentation fridge at a set temp or what have you got planned?

Bottled my beer today, it'd been crash chilling since last Friday, with an addition of gelatine on Tuesday.
The taste is really nice, I can't wait for it to mature a little in the bottles :)

BoscoJulebryg.jpg

Very happy with the clarity, that's my neighbours house in the back ground!!

Cheers
Martin

Nice, mine won't be clear, I have as yet unbeaten chill haze issues in my brewery.

Latest posts

Back