Julebryg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottled mine today. Random lager made side by side was clear, this is murky. Taste is great just fooking cloudy.
May have to make another.

Early taste is great!

Vtn4LQX.jpg

Well mine came out crystal clear after sometime in the fridge.
Danish friend said the colour was spot on, the taste too, but a little strong (the taste that is).

Nice :)
I only have two bottles left of mine, had the Danish family over for the Chrissy period, it was highly rated.
I reckon with time it has become better and more balanced. I'll brew another, but perhaps around July, in readiness for Christmas :)
I may as well pluck 5l of wort aside and try out staranise too

Time to make another. Less crystal this time as I want to use what I have, and more star anise.

haha, thanks for reminding me, better get this one under way as well in a month or two :)

Apologies for reviving a dead thread, just wondering if AHB'ps julebryg knowledge had advanced from this?

Any lessons learned on the above recipes? Any tips for a first attempt at a julebryg?

This may be too ambitious, but I have an idea to do the julebryg and then infuse with quince gin, which is another traditional christmas beverage. Same sort of style flavours and spices, could work well or could be a total disaster.

Thanks for brining this up.
Time to brew another.

No advice sorry

I'm doing this tomorrow. Any comments?

Aiming for:
OG around 1060
Bitterness around 25 IBU
40 litre preboil, around 36 litres into kegmenter

Grain bill
6kg pilsner
2kg munich
2kg wheat
1.4kg caramunich
0.1kg choc wheat

Hops
25g Magnum @ 60mins
50g saaz @ 30 mins
50g saaz @ 10 mins

Spices (all in kettle at flameout)
1 or 2 star anise
some fresh orange peel (1 orange)

Yeast - 2 packs rehydrated S33

Depending on how this tastes in a few weeks, I plan to then infuse it with some leavings from my quince gin infusion. So it will get some gin, then a heap of pureed quince that has been flavoured with sugar, cloves, star anise, cinnamon, etc

My last one had 4 star anise boiled for 30 minutes and the flavour was really nice. That was in 23 litres

My last one had 4 star anise boiled for 30 minutes and the flavour was really nice. That was in 23 litres

Interesting. The impression I got reading through all of this was that the anise can be overpowering?

I'll go with 2 for now and adjust from there I think.

Star anise is not for me. I really like it.
I'll be making one of these shortly when the caraaroma arrives.

I ended up staying pretty close to my outline above, with the spices as follows in a double batch:

30 mins - 2 star anise

5 mins - 50g fresh orange peel (3 navel oranges)
5 mins - 1 cinnamon stick
5 mins - 25g coriander seed

Will see how it goes.

I wanted to go easier on some of the spices because the gin I'm going to add in the keg later on has plenty of star anise, cinnamon, etc. So I wanted to have the option add more if I needed, rather than be stuck with too much.

Kegged this yesterday.

Getting a nice flavour from the orange peel, this is a good level in this amount of beer (yielded 2 full corny's).

The other spices are lacking a bit, so I may consider dry hopping with some spice, or making a tea infusion and adding them.

Otherwise, it's a pretty decent dark lager. Heavy going at 6.5% though, my numbers came in a bit high :D

Back