Julebryg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indica86

Reaction score
I think about now would be a nice time to make one.
Anyone have a tops all grain recipe they would like to share?

as a Dane come Aussie, I'd be interested in this :)

I think you'll find that the Tuborg version probably has a lot of lager similarities, with a high ABV and darker notes. So maybe start off with a lager grain bill, adding some crystal to that.
From memory, it was on the sweeter side, suggesting a higher mash temperature.
I don't recall it to have a heavy hop schedule, nor do I think it had any other funky spices. I would think a bit of spice, such as cinnamon would be very nice.
Perhaps cinnamon and vanilla, cardamom is a common spice in Denmark too, but I'm not sure how it would go in a beer.

For yeast, perhaps something that produces fruity notes, fermented at a bit higher temperatures. I'm not so well traversed in the yeast department, so you'd have to do a bit of investigation there.

PLEASE, if you come up with something, post it up, I'd be keen to see how it turns out.
In fact, I'd be keen to brew one up myself now haha :D

Good luck!

Cheers,
Martin

Well, a Danish friend recommends the Tuborg Julebryg which is made by Carlsberg http://www.carlsberggroup.com/brands/Pages/Tuborgjulebryg.aspx
Strong Pilsner is denoted as the type.

“Tuborg Julebryg is a bottom-fermented, wiener beer brewed on lager, münchener and caramel malt with English liquorice.
The beer is dark-golden with a fresh aroma of caramel, grain, liquorice and blackcurrant.”

So a lager with munich, crystal and liquorice?

Carlsberg bought the Tuborg brewing company quite a few years ago, I personally still see them as two different breweries :) buuuuut technically, it's true :D

Yeah, that does sound like I was pretty close in what I recall of the beer.
As for the grain bill, I did a bit of playing around in brewmate. I'd like it to finish a bit higher in gravity, to carry a sweetness that I seem to recall, so maybe:

70% Pilsner
20% Munich I
10% Crystal 80/ Dark

Maybe even a tad darker...
It's a 5.6% beer, so grain weight would have to reflect that I guess.
As for hops, I'd probably just go for about 15 IBU using Saaz or something European.

I would think that the liquorice wouldn't be added, but probably a character given from the yeast. I've tried to look for one with that character, but didn't find any, perhaps someone could suggest something?

Cheers
Martin

PS. At the right time of the year, I can still get this and Tuborg Classic at the Danish Club in Brisbane (and my hit of Danish sandwiches and hard liquorish candy too :D )

a bit of inspiration :D

tuborg_julebryg_tuborg.jpg

926_856398g.jpg

The prospect of making a copy of this one is alluring me to do a bit of research on this :D
As I couldn't find anything about it through the BJCP style guides, I googled onwards and came across this, which seems fairly close to what I remember of the beer in the first place.

Wiener Beer Characteristics (from here: http://beer.findthebest.com/l/25336/Wiener)

Beers in this category are reddish brown or copper colored. They are medium in body. The beer is characterized by malty aroma and slight malt sweetness. The malt aroma and flavor should have a notable degree of toasted and/or slightly roasted malt character. Hop bitterness is clean and crisp. Noble-type hop aromas and flavors should be low or mild. Diacetyl, chill haze and ale-like fruity esters should not be perceived.

Style IBU Range: 22-28
Style ABV Range: 4.8%-5.4%

Going by that, and using the above picture for colour reference (it does seem slightly darker than I recall), I'd say the style SRM is somewhere between 11 and 20

The alcohol level suggest
  • SG between 1049 - 1057, corrected for 5.6% alcohol, which is what the Tuborg has.
  • FG between 1014 - 1012, this is a guess, and I think the sweetness would have to be adjusted through a few brew attempts.
Searching for inspiration for the yeast, I came across a BYO recipe that used the whitelabs WLP920 Old Bavarian Lager yeast.
Reading up about it, it may give the characteristics we're after. I couldn't find that yeast at all, but looked up Craft Brewer to see what they had, and there's this one: Wyeast 2206 - Bavarian Lager
It sounds pretty much the same, so I'd go with that for a recipe.

Regarding the liquorice, perhaps they do add that to the boil?
Has anyone else done that? Would liquorice root be better than soft English liquorice?

Based on the above research, I've added the Wiener Beer style to Brewmate and come up with the following recipe, thoughts?

Cheers
Martin
Bosco Julebryg (Wiener Beer)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.057 (°P): 14.0
Final Gravity (FG): 1.014 (°P): 3.6
Alcohol (ABV): 5.60 %
Colour (SRM): 13.2 (EBC): 26.0
Bitterness (IBU): 24.1 (Average)

70% Pilsner
20% Munich II
10% Crystal 80

0.7 g/L Hallertau Mittlefrueh (6.3% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
1.3 g/L Saaz (3.6% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil)
0.7 g/L Hallertau Mittlefrueh (6.3% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

2.0 g/L Licorice Root @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 67°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 19°C with Wyeast 2206 - Bavarian Lager

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Could perhaps use Star Anise instead of the root.
Hmm, all I'd need for that would be the yeast and the Hallertau.

I just went with a European hops to create that, so you could substitute with something else, or more Saaz if you already have that.
I don't personally like the star anise flavour, it gives too much of an Asian touch IMO

I'll probably get some grain together in the next couple of weeks and try out a batch too :D
If you go ahead and brew this, let me know!!

Not having brewed Lagers / Pilsners before would I be wrong in suggesting that ferment temp is too high?
I may just use Mangrove Jack's dry yeast and see how that goes for now.

I read somewhere along my research that the normal temp for fermentation of these beers was kept LOTS higher, to create more fruity esters from the yeast.
In fact, I think generally it was around 23C, which seemed way too high for a lager type yeast to me...

indica86 said:
Not having brewed Lagers / Pilsners before would I be wrong in suggesting that ferment temp is too high?

Have had this one sitting on the back burner for a bit now. Was originally going to brew it for this winter, but time gets away. I was originally going to brew it using a German or Euro Ale yeast but it'll probably end up on tap at Christmas now, so i'll do it as a Lager. Original Version used a cracked Star Anise and was hopped with Styrian Goldings.

Estimated IBU: 28.9 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 81.6 %
Boil Time: 100 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2.75 kg Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 44.7 %
2.50 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) ( Grain 2 40.7 %
0.60 kg Extra Special (Briess) (256.1 EBC) Grain 3 9.8 %
0.30 kg Crystal Wheat Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (124 Grain 4 4.9 %
30.00 g Marynka [7.30 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 22.2 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 6 -
25.00 g Marynka [7.30 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 6.7 IBUs
25.00 g Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 8 -
15.00 g Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 9 -
2.00 Items Cinnamon Stick (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 10 -
1.00 Items Vanilla Bean Pod (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 11 -
2.0 pkg Bohemian Lager Yeast (Mangrove Jack's #M Yeast 12 -

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 6.15 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Saccharification Add 40.63 l of water at 70.2 C 66.7 C 75 min
Mash Out Heat to 75.6 C over 7 min 75.6 C 10 min

Sparge: Remove grains, and prepare to boil wort
Notes:
------
Should be enough of a hint of anise from the Marynka Hops to not need to add star anise.

Winter warmer.

Ask and ye shall receive.
Thanks.
That's now on my to brew list.

HBHB, thanks for the recipe, that does look like a nice christmas beer, I might have to give that a shot at some stage too :)

Indica, I'm not sure if you're aware, HBHB's recipe is not at all like the Tuborg one, just FYI
Tuborg and other big Danish breweries don't have coriander/ orange/ cinnamon/ vanilla additives. The newer craft breweries in Denmark do use those types of additives though :)

I am aware.
I may make one with the spices and one with Marynka hops only and the Tuborg style grain bill.
Thanks though.

seehuusen said:
If you go ahead and brew this, let me know!!
Considering this tomorrow...

Recipe: Julebryg I
Style: Wiener

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 26.5 EBC
Estimated IBU: 25.1 IBUs
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
3.99 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC) Grain 1 70.9 %
1.14 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 2 20.2 %
0.25 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC) Grain 3 4.4 %
0.25 kg Crystal (Joe White) (141.8 EBC) Grain 4 4.4 %
10.00 g Millenium [13.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 13.8 IBUs
30.00 g Saaz [3.75 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 6 8.6 IBUs
20.00 g Saaz [3.75 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 2.7 IBUs
2 Star Anise - Boil 5 min

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 5.63 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Saccharification Add 33.44 l of water at 70.3 C 66.7 C 75 min
Mash Out Heat to 75.6 C over 7 min 75.6 C 10 min
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Will use a couple of packets of probably MJ's Bohemian...

I have not made it yet. No hurry as my two FVs are still chugging away at two IPAs.

I brewed this one up today, it's currently chilling in the FV overnight and I'll pitch the yeast tomorrow :)

Nice one bud, you went with the licorice root?

Latest posts

Back