Js Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i was there but the rum porter killed that particular brain cell :eek:

That grist sounds pretty spot on to me, thats how i have been making my version at home for all the swill drinking mates that like the stuff.
Its very similar to grumpy andrews XLCR recipe from a few years back.

Enjoy the gold and the heat drunken one
Jayse

I too was there, and my memory is hazy on the subject.
I had a feeling the grain was 90% pils + 10% mix of crystal (Carapils + crystal)
and 10% sugar was in the kettle.
or am I thinking of another brew?

Amarillo is definately the late hop,was PoR the bitterness hop?
Yes, the rum porter and the strong ale afterwards definitely
made a difference to my recollection. Curse you Dr. Hahn. :party:

bradmcm said:
I too was there, and my memory is hazy on the subject.
I had a feeling the grain was 90% pils + 10% mix of crystal (Carapils + crystal)
or am I thinking of another brew?

Amarillo is definately the late hop,was PoR the bitterness hop?
Yes, the rum porter and the strong ale afterwards definitely
made a difference to my recollection. Curse you Dr. Hahn. :party:
[post="80256"][/post]​

Yes you were thinking of another beer. I'm sure it has 30% wheat.

I make you correct on the hop additions as well cause I remember being quite surprised when told that POR was used for bittering.

Was the squid any good?

C&B
TDA

bradmcm said:
[post="80256"][/post]​

I remember Chuck saying the amber had sugar, TDH asked him. I don't remember anything about the Golden having sugar.

From my observation, Goldern Ale seems to be around the 9 EBC level in colour - maybe even 10. Does that sound about right to everybody else? Anyway, I don't think a beer made purely out of Pils and wheat malt would be this colour - I reckon it would come out at around 6 or 7 EBC. I'm not trying to dispute anybody by the way - obviously you heard it from the horse's mouth. Maybe Goldern Ale is lighter than I remember...

If I took a stab at doing this beer I reckon I'd add a pinch (almost literally) of crystal too - maybe 0.5% of the grain bill, just to get that slightly richer colour. What do you think?

Back