Js Golden Ale - Recipe Comments

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wes, I doubt they have fixed the modification problems - I consistently get 10% lower efficiency with Powells compared to JW. Having said that, I see no problems with their quality - its great malt. The lower cost more than covers the lower efficiency. I can't give you a definitive comparison to other floor malted grain though like MO as I have not done a direct comparison. I think I am going to go back to JW from my next grain order onwards - but only because my LHBS is now moving back towards JW away from Powells. I would happily continue using Powells. I must say though, I am looking forward to only needing to mill the grain once and getting higher efficiency again when I go back to JW.

Re the Malt Shovel using JW malt thing, I don't know if you are suggesting that they don't use JW, but I have seen bags of the stuff in the brewery on a couple of tours I have been on. They also show it in the movie that you can view on the MSB website.

TD, Malt Shovel use JW malts exclusively. But they dont use the Trad Ale Malt or the Export Pilsner Malt. They have there own pale malt spec which is produced at the JW plant in Tamworth. The other specialties come from from JW Ballarat.

Wes

Recipe looks good, but like Sam I would up the Amarillo.

I have found this beer to be completely different on draught compared to bottles. Like the draught better. This could be a use by date issue.

T.D. said:
My standard Golden Ale recipe is:

45% JW Ale malt
45% JW Pils malt
10% JW Wheat malt

Bitter to 27-28 IBUs
1g/L Amarillo @ 15mins
1g/L Amarillo @ flameout
[post="126674"][/post]​

TD,

What original gravity do you make this to?

thanks
Scott

Had it on tap - nice beer. I thought (could've sworn!) the aroma hops were cascade?

Cheers - Mike

Hi all
If you don't know the EXTACT grain hops bill, you will never make an exact JS amber ale clone.
Its all experimentation, some will turn out close, some worse, and some better (in your opinion) :D

Normell

sah said:
T.D. said:
My standard Golden Ale recipe is:

45% JW Ale malt
45% JW Pils malt
10% JW Wheat malt

Bitter to 27-28 IBUs
1g/L Amarillo @ 15mins
1g/L Amarillo @ flameout
[post="126674"][/post]​

TD,

What original gravity do you make this to?

thanks
Scott
[post="127095"][/post]​

Scott,

Somewhere around 1.045 will do nicely. The last one I did I somehow got much higher efficiency than expected at the brew ended up at around 5% alc/vol. I would rather stick at around the 4.5-4.6 level though if possible. Great summer time quaffing beer.

Good Day
Sorry but did not have time to reply earlier. I have attemped to make a Golden ale and the result was close IMHO.
Side by side (sip by sip) to the real GA, mine was slightly less "gold" in colour and less "gold" in malt flavour but hop flavour and aroma was very close. Hard to tell much difference when not together. If interested the recipe for 22+ L batch is as follows.

OG 1.046, FG 1.010, 5% (when bottled), 20+ IBU, BUGU 0.44.

3.5 kg Maris Otter
0.5 kg Wheat malt
0.5 kg JW Vienna
0.150 kg Melanoidan
0.100 kg JW Caramalt
0.050 kg JW Dark Crystal

Amarillo 9.8% 15 gms boil, 10 gms 25 mins, 10 gms 7 mins, 10 gms 0 to -10 mins.
5 gms CaSo4 mash.

WLP 004 Irish (because I had it)

Mash at 65oC for 80 mins, 70oC for 10 mins.

To make more "golden" I would add 100 gms more vienna, or 20 gms more melanoidan. You could increase the cara or dak crystal instead??

Well, I made mine on the weekend and ended up having to change the recipe when I discovered I was out of CaraPils. What I ended up making was much the same as my original post except I replaced the 150g of CaraPils with an extra 50g of 55L crystal and an extra 100g of dark munich. The aroma hops were slightly higher than in my original post because I measured out a little too much.

This batch is fermenting nicely, after the wierdest start to fermentation I have ever seen - but that is another story which I will post in The Common Ground.

I think this is going to be a great beer.

I am brewing a golden ale type beer this weekend. Off the top of my head the recipe will be something like:

3.5kg Powells Pilsner malt
1kg Powells Ale malt
0.5kg Powells Wheat malt
0.25 Weyermann Cara Red

NB to 27 IBUs
25g Amarillo @ 15 mins
25g Amarillo @ 0 mins

US-56 yeast.

Its been a while since I have brewed an American Ale so I am really keen to get this one happening! I just hope it ferments out ok now that the weather has started to get a bit colder!

That looks tasty. I love Northern Brewer as a bittering hop.

US-56 works fine at 16C, so you should be fine.

Just a quick follow up about how the JS Golden Ale clone went.

I kegged & bottled the beer a few days ago, and although it is early days yet a first tasting of the beer from the keg indicates that this recipe is close to the mark. My OG was about 1.043 and FG was 1.009 for around 4.5% alcohol, very similar to the commercial beer.

Colour, bitterness, hops flavour, malt character are very similar to JS Golden Ale. The aroma is a little bit lacking compared to the commercial version, leading me to believe I should increase the post-flamout aroma addition of Amarillo to maybe 15-20 grams.

The only other changes I would make is either an increase in the amount of munich malt, or replace some of the pale wheat malt with dark wheat malt, for a little more toasty character. Maybe reduce the crystal malt a little bit as well, as I perceive the JS beer as toasty but not caramelly.

Over all, I'd say with some tweaks the recipe I originally posted will go very close to reproducing this beer.

just started the boil on a 'golden ale'.
40% pils 40% ale 10% carapils 10%wheat.
bittered with northern brewer flavoured with lots of amarillo. smells great already.

got 79% efficiency!! not bad for my first go. happy with that. :beer:

I have the exact recipe here, I wrote it if memory serves, but several of the ingredients are not readily available, some you wouldnt want to use, its not brewed at sale gravity and as it remains the intellectual property of LN, youll just have to wonder. Or try this:

21 litres boiled down to 20:

1.7 kg Joe White export pilsener
0.3 kg Joe White Caramalt (light crystal, 50 EBC)
0.5 kg Joe White dark Munich (20 EBC)
0.8 kg Wheat malt

Target OE of 10.5 plato, so adjust your pale up or down to suit the efficiency of your own kit.

For a 4.5% abv brew, you'll need the ferment to stop at 2.0 plato, quite low for an all-malt beer, so use a reasonably aggressive ale strain such as White Labs WLP007 or WLP001 and mash at 66-67 degrees.

Boil long enough to get that 5% evaporation. NZ Super Alpha (12.5% alpha) up front or any other clean bittering hop to contribute 11BU. Amarillo (9.0%) last 15 minutes and again Amarillo off boil. Beer should finish at 20 BU and have a colour of 20 EBC. AE 2.0, ABV 4.5.

but several of the ingredients are not readily available, some you wouldnt want to use,

Well Randall having a wealth of inside info, it sounds like he is suggesting the inclusion of white sugar(with or without GST), as most of us wouldn't add that to our AG brews. Is Pride or Super Pride a bittering option. Would use stuff all to get 11 IBU's.
Thanks Randall

Depending upon the degree of authenticity you're seeking, the two options mentioned by Jim would not be out of place. However, all things in beer are synergistic, so a different and less attenuative yeast strain would be needed...

Colin, are you comparing to the draught or bottled version? I'm a fan of it on tap, but the bottled version seems to lack all the hop character that makes it so good from the keg.

Comparing draught with draught.

I've had both, and my beer seems more comparable to the draught in flavour, except the aroma is lacking to a level even less than the bottled version. (Although to be fair I have been a bit off colour and it could be me)

Back