Js Golden Ale - Recipe Comments

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah - the chocolate malt is just something I do in nearly all my ales. Adds a bit of colour to its cheeks, and also makes my mash pH come out exactly where I want it. If I darken a beer to a similar colour with caramel malt, or with black malt, I can taste it, where the chocolate malt doesn't seem to disturb the flavour as much.

I'm not entirely convinced that the munich malt belongs in there either, although I sometimes get a subtle toasty character in JSGA. I suspect I may end up eliminating it entirely in a future version of this recipe.

If I was using a less attenuative yeast I'd up the sugar to as much as 10% of fermentable points, but with 1056 or US-56 I think I'd get way too dry a beer.

I've more or less given up on the idea of a neat 'clone' anyway. Too many differences between the ingredients we can source, and too many unknowns in the commercial process. The objective now is a beer which is as good or better than JSGA, but recognisably based on it.

cheers,
Colin

Colinw,
Your recipe is very similar to one that made recently, it was very nice. I did a 40 litre batch half I fermented with US56 and the other half Old dog fermented with SO4, you wouldn't have believed they were the same recipe. The US56 gave a clean hoppier profile and the SO4 a clean but estery profile from the yeast.
Recipe below.
AC
45) Golden Ale clone
American Pale Ale

Type: All Grain
Date: 13/08/2006
Batch Size: 45.00 L
Brewer: Paul
Boil Size: 55.07 L Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 75 min Equipment: My Equipment
Taste Rating(out of 50): 43.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0
Taste Notes:
Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.50 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (5.9 EBC) Grain 42.7 %
4.00 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (3.2 EBC) Grain 38.0 %
1.00 kg Munich, Dark (Joe White) (29.6 EBC) Grain 9.5 %
1.00 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5 EBC) Grain 9.5 %
0.04 kg Chocolate Malt (Joe White) (750.6 EBC) Grain 0.4 %
35.00 gm Perle [6.00%] (60 min) Hops 11.2 IBU
10.00 gm Magnum [13.50%] (60 min) Hops 7.2 IBU
45.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (10 min) Hops 6.8 IBU
30.00 gm Perle [6.00%] (10 min) Hops 3.5 IBU
45.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
2.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
10.00 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs US56 (DCL Yeast #US56) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.055 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.055 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.016 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.1 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.1 %
Bitterness: 28.7 IBU Calories: 522 cal/l
Est Color: 13.9 EBC Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body Total Grain Weight: 10.54 kg
Sparge Water: 23.74 L Grain Temperature: 22.2 C
Sparge Temperature: 75.6 C TunTemperature: 22.2 C
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 27.49 L of water at 74.4 C 67.8 C 60 min
Mash Out Add 15.39 L of water at 91.5 C 75.6 C 10 min

So what was the verdict AC? Which was the preferred beer taste wise?

cheers Ross

Personally I preferred the US56 (cos it was mine). LOL

It was one of the beers that I took to PP's when Bunyip was in town, Old dog brought his and I think it was split decision between the two some perferred mine and I think PP and OldDog pertferred the SO4.

You tasted my Golden Ale, I thought it was pretty good and would make it again.

AC

Personally Aussies was to my taste.

I found the amarillo was a lot more prominant in Aussies, more aroma and flavour using the US 56, mine is still very drinkable but it is a not as full flavoured.

I was suprised by the difference and the guys thought they were from two different batches. It also gave Pat some ideas on how to use his spare 04 yeasts.

looking forward to another golden ale, a great drop enjoyed by all that has tasted mine.

cheers old dog

I have been making this beer for some time now and I feel that I have the colour and malt profile spot on, so, FWIW, this is what I use,

Joe White Export Pilsner 44%
Fawcetts Maris Otter 48%
Weyermann Carapils 5.4%
Joe White Crystal 140 2.2%
Joe White Chocolate 0.4%

I have placed this alongside the original Golden Ale and there is absolutely no difference in colour.
Total grain bill for 25 litres is 4.57 kgs and OG @ 1.051. My efficiency runs around the 90% mark.

Regards,
Lindsay.

If you want to try making chalk & cheese from the one wort, try splitting an English pale ale between Nottingham & Windsor. Adrian Levi and I did that with an English pale made with Northern Brewer & EKG. My half (nottingham) was dry but malty, clean palate with quite intense woody hops character. Adrian's half (windsor) had complex esters giving a soft fruity/bready flavour, mouth filling malt presence, and an incredible floral boquet which was quite delicious. Both were superb beers, and you simply wouldn't be able to pick them as the same wort.

Regarding S04 - IMHO it does much better in malt accented pale to amber beers of moderate bitterness. I dislike the way it performs in hoppy beers, or in dark beers, but if you use it to make a moderately hopped ordinary bitter (something like Wadworth 6X), or an Irish Red, it is lovely. In particular the diacetyl it leaves behind can work beautifully with a moderate amount of roast & caramel character in a red ale.

I have been making this beer for some time now and I feel that I have the colour and malt profile spot on, so, FWIW, this is what I use,

Joe White Export Pilsner 44%
Fawcetts Maris Otter 48%
Weyermann Carapils 5.4%
Joe White Crystal 140 2.2%
Joe White Chocolate 0.4%

I have placed this alongside the original Golden Ale and there is absolutely no difference in colour.
Total grain bill for 25 litres is 4.57 kgs and OG @ 1.051. My efficiency runs around the 90% mark.

Regards,
Lindsay.

Hi Lindsay,

If you don't mind me asking... what was the Hop Schedule for your beer above?

Cheers,

JS

JS,

Amarillo 8.4% 32 grams @ 60 min.
Amarillo 8.4% 18 grams @ 10 min.
Amarillo 8.4% 13 grams @ 1 min.
Chinook 12% 16 grams @ 1 min.
Amarillo 9.5% 25 grams @ 3 minutes after flame out.
Chinook 12% 16 grams @ 3 minutes after flame out.

Don't ask me why I chucked to hops in at three minutes after flame out....don't know. I do some weird things from time to time

Regards,
Lindsay.

I've chucked hops in anything up to 5 minutes after, always with good results.

Gotta love that Chinook/Amarillo combination. Our best APA ever was Amarillo/Chinook - the Chinook adds a citrusy/grapefruit bite which pure Amarillo is missing.

Thanks Lindsay,

Thats sounds bewdiful, I'll have to give that one a go sometime.

Cheers again,

JS

Anyone considered using Simco hops with this recipe? I've heard some wonderful things about Simco and it's similarity to Amarillo (but better apparently) from the US guys.
Tim.

I reckon that would be a winner!

I have brewed a Simcoe APA after running out of Amarillo, and it was fantastic.

The champion beer at this year's BABB annual competition - Ken Wieden's APA - was also made with Simcoe. This was the beer that was brewed commercially by Brennan Fielding at Oxford 152.

Just simcoe is a bit bland IMHO, but as a blend with B Saaz or Amarillo... :super: Recently did an APA with nothing but simcoe, was a bit lacking, i bottled it with a hop tea of B Saaz and Amarillo and it's got a very nice rounded citrus flavour.

Anyone considered using Simco hops with this recipe? I've heard some wonderful things about Simco and it's similarity to Amarillo (but better apparently) from the US guys.
Tim.

Check the harvest first.

Simcoe 04 was markedly different from Simcoe 05.
Amarillo 04 was vastly different from Amarillo 05.

Simcoe 05 and Amarillo 04 were my picks. Simcoe 04 was overly piney/resiny for me but worked well with Northern Brewer to tone it down.
Amarillo 05 had nowhere near the melony/stone fruitiness of Amarillo 04.

New 2006 US harvests should be with us soon. If they don't smoke any more of them that is. :blink:

The overwhelming impression I got from Amarillo '05 was pineapple.

In comparison, Amarillo '04 was tropical fruit punch.

Right, so it's on for tomorrow!

I'm going with this hop schedule, unless anyone can suggest otherwise :)
16.5gms POR for 60mins
20.0gms Simcoe for 12mins
30.0gms Amarillo for 2mins
20.0gms Amarillo for 5min at flameout.

Any thoughts/comments/suggestions?

Tim.

Tim,
I may be a little late in answering now as you're probably we into your brew but I may as well ask, what is the alpha acid ratings of the hops you are going to use and why are you using the Pride of Ringwood?

Regards,
Lindsay.

Tim,
I may be a little late in answering now as you're probably we into your brew but I may as well ask, what is the alpha acid ratings of the hops you are going to use and why are you using the Pride of Ringwood?
Regards,
Lindsay.
Hi Lindsay, not too late yet. Gotta wait for the wife to wake and take over the baby sittiing duties! :(

The AA ratings are as follows:
Pride - 9.2%
Simcoe - 11.0%
Amarillo - 8.4%

I'm using Pride because I've got heaps of it, and it's just for bittering, no?
Tim.

I should have asked in the previous post so I could look at the overall IBU's of the brew.
What size is your brew?
Are you using ProMash?

Lindsay.

Back