Jordie_tackles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What was your measured mash temp?
For how long?
How much yeast?
What strain?
How was it prepared?
What was the bb or manufacture/packaging date?
How was it stored prior to purchase?
Did you shake or otherwise oxygenate the brew before pitching?

I'd also expect less than 1.018 but many possible factors at play before making an informed diagnosis.
Mash temp was 69 degrees
For an hour
Yeast Safale US-05
About 9-10g in 15L
Was stored in fridge and poured over wort
BB 07/18
Oxegenating was just pouring from mash tun into Fermenter from height.

Note fermentation began at 29 degrees by accident as it's my first brew and I forgot I had a temp controller with needle to tell temp below my candy thermometer.
Yeast manufacturer says to use between 12-25 degrees Celsius.
Was dropped to this temp within hours of pitching

Ok I did the forced fermentation, enough wort for my test tube in a sterilised glass jar, with 1g of yeast for 2 days and the FG didn't move an inch.

Guessing from my research which isn't a surprise really as I had issues with my mash and boil.

I mashed slightly high and boiled way to long as u couldn't get a rolling boil happening.

Only ended up with about 10 litres or 30 stubbed of beer.

Really enjoyed all of it though and appreciate everyone who helped with advice.

Thanks

John Palmer How to Brew; i think world plus dog has read, so should you.
Chris White's book on Yeast should be on there too.
Thanks so much, I have heard people mention that this palmer bloke wrote the bible just thought it would be easy to find at a later date.

Exactly what I was after but am open to further suggestions if people think it's worth it.

Follow up after checking my second brew which I did on Sunday.

First off I mashed at a lower more appropriate temperature, more like 65-67 rather than 69.

Second got a better rolling "just" boil happening where I didn't last time.

Thirdly I airated my wort before pitching yeast with a stick blender creating large foam ontop of brew.

Finally I pitched a full packet of yeast where as last time I only used 3/4 of a packet due to only having 15L batch.

Checking last night my FG was around 1.012 down from SG of 1.047.

Yeast Cake has dropped to the bottom of Fermemter.

Am I good to bottle after 4 days most likely will wait until at least Saturday anyway or should u leave it a bit longer?

Thanks for all the help previously I think I have identified that my first batch had a few processes just off which held it back even though it is now bottled and tasting good.

2 equal gravity readings over 2 days. I usually let sit in the fermenter for a week after fermentation is basically done (2 weeks all up) the last few days to cold crash.

Latest posts

Back