Hello from Paddo (Qld)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewno Marz

Reaction score
Hello fellow home brewers

What do you do when you have two spare fridges at home? Convince the wife she needs more beer in her life and take the plunge into home brewing (now with temperature control).

So, I've started the journey into all-grain brewing, splurged on a 52 litre SS Chronical FV and made a fairly basic Kolsch (Pilsner & Munich malts with Ella hops), which is in the keg and tasting just like it's supposed to after a couple of weeks to carb and clear. Now thoroughly hooked on this all-grain brewing caper...although the wife is not so sure that's what she really signed up too.

I've previously dabbled in "brew-on-premises", so I have a basic understanding of the brew process and I also brewed with the old Cooper's kits back in the 1980's when the lack of temperature control & lack of knowledge gave me very consistent results - consistently bad.

Apart from my obsession with beer and brewing I also enjoy skiing and have a passion for good wine.

Looking forward to learning from others, improving my brewing and swapping opinions on all things beer related.

Geoff (aka Brewno Marz)

welcome mate.

What are you using to make your wort?

I'm pretty new to brewing myself, took the plunge about a year ago and haven't looked back. One of my other hobbies is also skiing (well, snowboarding) and I just got back from 2 weeks in Canada :)

Welcome along. Sounds like another awesome brewing setup! Hope you make some absolute cracking beers. Share what you learn - everyone here is very upfront with the advice. All the best!

Hang on did you say just started all grain and you already have a conical fermenter? Wow! Ha ha

Welcome aboard and you can't say that you weren't warned!!!!

Cheers,
Jase

Thanks BKBrews,
Whereabouts in Canada? We were in Alberta three years ago and loved it. We went home via LA and I got the taste for American craft beers - I couldn't believe the choice and quality at nearly every bar.

Anyway, back to topic. We made up a three vessel HERMS system using 3 x 58l Keg King keggles. (I confess to being an engineer and my wife has an electrical and controls trade background...next project is to automate the sparge). I doubt you'd get any better results from a HERMS (or RIMS) system, but it suits us.

Cheers Brunicorn
So far I've learnt loads. Done three consecutive batches (Kolsch, APA, Blonde Ale) and found, among other things: that the temp of Brisbane water in summer makes cooling the wort a real challenge; don't drop your digital thermometer in boiling wort; and have a spare hydrometer and spare LPG bottle handy!

Brewno Marz said:
Thanks BKBrews,
Whereabouts in Canada? We were in Alberta three years ago and loved it. We went home via LA and I got the taste for American craft beers - I couldn't believe the choice and quality at nearly every bar.

Anyway, back to topic. We made up a three vessel HERMS system using 3 x 58l Keg King keggles. (I confess to being an engineer and my wife has an electrical and controls trade background...next project is to automate the sparge). I doubt you'd get any better results from a HERMS (or RIMS) system, but it suits us.
We went to Big White in BC - been there nearly every year for the last 15 odd. Tried a few of the others around there but keep coming back! The craft beer scene in Canada is taking off at an unbelievable rate. 2 years ago it was Molson or Molson, this year I could almost get a different craft beer at every restaurant/bar and the mountain actually had a dedicated craft beer bottle shop! Even Vancouver airport had craft beer.

Sounds like you've reaaaally thrown yourself in the deep end - well done. I use the grainfather and am restricted to 26L batches.

Hi Jase

Thanks for the welcome... and the warning. Yeah, straight to 40 litre batches and a conical fermenter. Going to find it hard to blame the equipment when I stuff up though.

Latest posts

Back