Joining The Wheat Beer Club

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueJ

Reaction score
Hi All

Brunswick Massive Brewing (myself and the brother-in-law) will be starting their (our) first wheat beer in the next week or so.

This will be our 3rd brew and we will use the ESB Summer Wheat fresh wort kit and Wyeath 3068 liquid yeast. We will top up with 5 litres of 'spring water' rather than use tap water.

We plan on pitching around 22C and fermenting around 18C, relying on the Melbourne autumn weather to prevent the ferment temp from getting much warmer than this. We have a thermostat set up to control the ferment temperature by turning a brew belt on and off, so a sudden cold snap won't cause any undue distress to the yeast.

It feels good to be starting on a wheat beer - this is my favourite style.

Any suggestions are most welcome.

Im sure weizguy will add heaps of info here as im sure this is his fav style as well.Ive only done the one wheat and it was an unreal failure.Havent done one since but it is one beer style i will do again.

Cheers
Big D

Maybe some coriander and lemon zest in secondary. Have a search, loads of people have done this with great results. I personally havent.
Cheers - have fun
Steve

BlueJ said:
Any suggestions are most welcome.
[post="121034"][/post]​

Make sure you've got about 30% headspace in your fermenter. The weizen yeast throws a head that wants to crawl out and over the floor. :blink:

Brunswick? We're almost neighbours BlueJ. I'm in Pascoe Vale Sth. :)

Warren -

Keep a close eye on your temp, wheat yeast can go bananas.

warrenlw63 said:
snipped>
Make sure you've got about 30% headspace in your fermenter. The weizen yeast throws a head that wants to crawl out and over the floor. :blink:

[post="121050"][/post]​

..and get to the phone and order a pizza.

Give it an american twist with some "aromatic" Cascade or "lemony" Glacier...
I'm making my next wheat with "spicy" Liberty for bittering & Glacier all through the finish Mmmmmm...

cheers Ross

Thanks for the confidence, Big D.

This certainly is my fave beer style, coz it works well in my brewery, and I have some prizes for my weizen and even one for a Wit. I don't brew it for beer judges, except the one studying at my house (oh, that's me, silly).

Some tips? OK, here goes:

I'm not familiar with the ESB wheat, except in the 3kg tin, and that was some time ago, but I would prefer not to mess with the recipe first time out of the gate, and let the beer tell you what it needs. In my experience, ESB tends to be hoppy, which IMHO is not true to style. If you like the flavour tho', what does "style" matter, I say? Suck it and see, as the poms say.

Yeast culture...yes, please. You will need plenty of head space in your fermentor, as you will be pitching about a 1 litre culture (1.25 litre soft drink bottle is what I use). For a less frantic ferment, you can pitch a 500 ml culture and expect a lesser krausen and a milder flavour.

If you like the banana flavour (and I do, but some don't - loonies, I say) you can ferment up to 25C, without producing off-flavours. BTW, great pun, Kai
...bananas/weizen. :D :lol:

As Jayse sez, great with pizza, and I find it great with chilli. So if you like chilli, you could prime one of your longnex with a halved chilli (both halves but no sugar,as there is enough in the chilli), or just eat chilli with the beer to bring out the sweetness, maltiness and fruitiness on your palate. I prefer ham, pineapple, mushroom and chilli pizza with a chilled weizen. Am I giving away too many secrets?

Sure, U can use American hops if you want a Yank wheat (and I do at times). But if U do, you should use a more neutral yeast such as liquid American ale yeast or US56 dry. I feel that you are after a Bavarian flavour here, so save that one for another time.

Gimme a pm if U want any of my fave recipes. You'll prob find plenty on this forum if you do a search for weizen.

You could even try your hand at a Berliner Weisse (sour light ale). Now I'm getting carried away.

Happy to share, and very happy to hear that the clarity/sanity of weizenness has brought another wheatie (?) to the forum.

Testify, brother! :super:

Brother Seth out :p

I've used 1010 Wyeast american wheat once and can attest to it being a wonderful yeast. It's not a full-on wheat yeast but is very refreshing and makes some great mild fruit flavours in my experience.

Lol, looks like there IS some kind of a wheat beer club here after all...

Thanks everyone for the advice. We decided on keeping it straight and simple first time around, and making changes for subsequent brews. The fermenter is 30l, and the recipe is for 20l, so we should have enough headspace.

It is great to see so many positive responses and only one member so far with a sad tale to tell wrt wheat beers. This makes me more confident that we can make something that is drinkable.

I went for many years as a wine drinker - I just couldn't stomach any more VB or Carlton (maybe I had too much when I was young, or something...). Now and then I tried the occasional boutique 'supposedly good' beer, only to find myself looking for the corkscrew and wondering how I ever drank beer in the first place. I guess I can say those were my personal dark ages.

Then one day I was in Germany and I tasted a good weizen. I just understood it, I 'got' it. That turned my whole attitude to beer right around.

So weizens are special to me for more than just their great taste. Making a good one is absolutely my personal, home brewing, holy grail.

They are fairly easy to brew too, at least in my experience. Good luck on your quest.

Thanks Kai

They better be easy to brew, given our current level of experience. I do get the impression from reading the various weizen threads that the satisfaction rate is high.

Does anyone have any suggestions for treatments at the end of the ferment, in terms of racking, resting, cold conditioning or whatever? Or should I just bottle and enjoy as the man said?

i brewed a wheat beer with K97 and it was sh!t
(sorry whoever it was who tried to warn me off it)
then after 3 weeks in stainless at .5C, it was drinkable until there was no more...
i've used the belgian wit before with great results, with and without coriander etc.
i'm about to try the 3333.
the secret to any wheat beer seems to be almost entirely yeast and ferment temps

tangent said:
i'm about to try the 3333.

[post="121159"][/post]​

I made a wheat with this yeast last year. Previously I was not a big fan of wheats but this one turned out very drinkable and refreshing.
I will be making some more of course :) later this year, in time for the warmer weather.

cheers
johnno

BlueJ said:
Thanks Kai

They better be easy to brew, given our current level of experience. I do get the impression from reading the various weizen threads that the satisfaction rate is high.

Does anyone have any suggestions for treatments at the end of the ferment, in terms of racking, resting, cold conditioning or whatever? Or should I just bottle and enjoy as the man said?
[post="121141"][/post]​

While wheats ought to be cloudy you still don't want them too yeasty. A little conditioning after the ferment does not hurt, if you have the time.

BlueJ,
Go the Wyeast 3068, you won't regret it.

BlueJ said:
<chopped>Then one day I was in Germany and I tasted a good weizen. I just understood it, I 'got' it. That turned my whole attitude to beer right around.

So weizens are special to me for more than just their great taste. Making a good one is absolutely my personal, home brewing, holy grail.
</chopped>
[post="121134"][/post]​

OK, I resent the term beer club. Too "beer-wanker" for me. Personal taste (personal taste, or otherwise).
If you see it as a club...whatever floats ya boat! As long we don't make it exclusive. Cheers.

Regarding your opinion above: Testifyyyyy!

Did U know that Wheat beer was reserved for royalty until the 1600s. Anyone have the facts to correct me here? Warren?, ur good with this stuff!
So, I thought..."Good enough for those blokes, good enough for me".
My first wheat beer was Redback, which I now judge as too bitter. First Bavarian wheat beer was Schofferhofer hefe, and a grand bier it is. Certainly a benchmark for me. Your fave?

Da man who said dat..he da maaan!
Bottle/keg and evaluate ASAP.

Easy? If you think that you could score a red ribbon with your first-ever comp entry, would U call that easy?

Would U believe that I haven't changed the recipe for my fave extract weizen very much since I first brewed it? I reckon that's an easy beer.
As long as U start out with a decent recipe, you should be able to tweak it and be happy with it in a short time.

Many weizens made in this country are overhopped in both bitterness and flavour. Yeah, that's what I think, but we all know the value of opinions (if not, search my early posts for the word "opinion").

Bad wheat beers can be made, though. You must still care for your sanitation and your yeast culture especially. If you get a phenolic taste, check to see that the taste is balanced by the fruitiness. If the phenolics are overwhelming, you may have a wild yeast contamination in your beer (buy another yeast or reculture from a clean batch), or you used W3056 blend and you fermented way too high. I have done both.

Then there are Belgian wheat beers. Would love to get a book on them. There's Wit, Maaswheat and possibly lambics (aren't they wheat beers?). Lambic soon, I think. Just 5 others beers first (ha ha ha).

the secret to any wheat beer seems to be almost entirely yeast and ferment temps

tangent, U said a mouthful. Yeast selection (use a wheat yeast, not a standard ale yeast) and ferment temp (although more with Belgian wheats/Wit rather than Weizen), are both crucial.

That's enough testifying from me tonite.
Sleep tight, little BlueJ. Tomorrow's another day suitable for brewing your ultimate weizen.

One more thing...the American wheat beer is an underestimated quantity, and a hoppy (beer named above) will keep you 3 shades of happy in Summer and maybe all year round. And that's a unique happiness, not the same as U get from weizen, or dunkelweizen.

Time to go.
Seth out :p

*(is there a filibuster limit here?)*

My personal favourites are the Paulaner hefe and the Schneider Weisse hefe. The Paulaner is light and clean but hard to get here (if anyone knows where to get it in Melb please let me know). The Schneider is darker and fruitier and was $7.20 per 500ml last time I looked. Which makes 26x 750ml bottles home brewed at less than $2 per bottle look very appealing!

I have never had much luck with the Schofferhofers. I think it is a freshness issue, buying from shops with low turnover and long shelf times.

Jees I'm thirsty now and its only 10:30AM. This brewing caper is just too much fun, isn't it?

BlueJ,

If it's too early for a weizen, maybe you might want to dilute it with some fruit juice.

I've had some early starts with weizen and mango, or weizen and tropical juice.
A bit like champagne and OJ, I suppose, except that's its for a beer drinker.

Sour weisse and cherry juice might be nice, too. lol

I think the first Shofferhofer I got was when I was working in Perth. Fresh from Vintage cellars...

Seth :p

Latest posts

Back