John Smith - Extra Smooth a taste of....well nothing.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's the English version of "how do I make VB/CD/TN for my mates to drink".

I'm angry that we continue to pay top dollar for tasteless English beer and despite the exchange rate being far strong that a number of years ago (used to by Newky Brown for $14 a six pack a few years ago).

Im currently in North Yorkshire & have had a pint or 6 of Black Sheep & Theakestons & the York Brewery traditional ales. All excellent examples of English real ale IMO. Theyre all fairly locally brewed & definately fresh due to good turn over. They are all very drinkable & all got more taste & mouth feel than Morrison Bitter for example.

Foster said:
Im currently in North Yorkshire & have had a pint or 6 of Black Sheep & Theakestons & the York Brewery traditional ales. All excellent examples of English real ale IMO. Theyre all fairly locally brewed & definately fresh due to good turn over. They are all very drinkable & all got more taste & mouth feel than Morrison Bitter for example.
******* - and i mean that in the nicest possible way. Oooh how i wish I was with you. York brewery real ales were one of our highlights of our trip to the UK. I was quite keen for the Ghost Ale while Mrs Slowhand was nuts about the Terrier Bitter. Enjoy you lucky *******.
Cheers
LB

There is a godawful campaign running in the UK at the moment called 'Let there be beer' which when launched sounded like a good idea to promote beer and especially beer with food but it became apparent that this campaign, which was the brainchild of 5 of the megaswill brigade - Carlsberg, Molson Coors, Heineken, ABInBev and SABMiller, was just about promoting their crappy product.
There are some of the TV adverts on youtube promoting the joys of Fosters Radler (Shandy in the 70's) etc with...... a barbeque, inspired thinking there.

Anyway here's a link the the equally laughable video promoting the joys of John Smiths.

Regarding cloning it, I think you'll find it difficult to make something this flavourless TBH. Maybe use a single can kit and some sugar rather than AG ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
anthonyUK said:
Regarding cloning it, I think you'll find it difficult to make something this flavourless TBH. Maybe use a single can kit and some sugar rather than AG ;)
I am going to make a AG Brown Ale and let him try that. I am convinced he'll realise he is currently paying ridiculous amounts of money for a can of shite.

Foster said:
Im from Yorkshire too mate. And "them wer't days" has never been truer. Back in the day, the beers were better made, however, they had to be managed properly to get the best out of them. Folk would travel for miles to drink Tetleys in the Gaping Goose in Garforth or Ye olde three tuns in Thirsk.

The smiths & tetleys in can is a waste of money, im afraid.
I'm from Yorkshire too. My Neighbour is also from Yorkshire and keeps asking me to brew him a John Smiths clone. I refuse :D Terrible stuff.

On the subject of Tetleys, back in't day, there was just one pub in the little market town of Dewsbury (not too far from Garforth!) called The Market Tavern. The hand pulled Tetleys here was served like nowhere else. The body was 'milky' and smooth. If you had the desire, you could literally down a pint in one go with ease.

I don't know what the pub landlord did to serve it like that. I suppose he was the only one keeping his Tetleys properly.

:icon_offtopic:

I was watching wallace & gromit the other day (were-rabbit one) with my kids, other parents, etc.

Noticed Wallace's magazine was called "Ay Up" - looked like the writing of "Hello!" mag (obviously).

Had me a cracking great laugh, and no-one could figure it out. Summat wrong with them.

My Fam (well part of it, they come from far and wide over the world - well the isles and india for the most part) are from the other side of the Pennines, though I do (masochistically and from a safe distance) support Leeds United.

Support Leeds United, tha will be telling us next that masochistically you enjoy John Smiths Extra Smooth

malt & barley blues said:
Support Leeds United, tha will be telling us next that masochistically you enjoy John Smiths Extra Smooth
If we are going to get into the masochistic nature of supporting shite football teams, I see your Leeds United and raise you a Coventry City fan.

I don't know about nowadays but Tetleys used to get pulled through a tight sparkler and ended up with a creamy head almost like a Guinness. Last time I drank it on handpump was in York about 40 years ago and it's like yesterday.

Beer Ninja said:
I don't know what the pub landlord did to serve it like that. I suppose he was the only one keeping his Tetleys properly.

Looking after it properly & selling it quickly. The sign of a good pub. Tha no's.

LagerBomb said:
******* - and i mean that in the nicest possible way. Oooh how i wish I was with you. York brewery real ales were one of our highlights of our trip to the UK. I was quite keen for the Ghost Ale while Mrs Slowhand was nuts about the Terrier Bitter. Enjoy you lucky *******.
Cheers
LB
Cheers Lagerbomb

Back