Joe White Pilsner Vs Weyermann Pilsner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aussies are very good at growing grain. VERY good.

It's a wonder there aren't more malting plants around with the explosion in independent breweries looking for unique ingredients.

Edit. There's an old saying "There is more money to be made in the gold rush selling spades than there is digging for gold".

Adr_0 said:
Yeah I read somewhere that Aussie barley is used for something like 30% of malted barley around the world?
Yes I've seen that too but it makes no sense. World barley production is about 100 MT PA. Australian barley production is about 8 MT PA. Around 30% of the crop reaches malting grade.

reference: https://bsgcraftbrewing.com/Resources%5CCraftBrewing%5CPDFs%5CAgricultural_Reports_and_Papers/BSG_CROPREPORT_PRESENTATION_2014.pdf

On the other hand Australia exports an unusually large percentage of its malt production, mostly due to our proximity to a bunch of countries with hot wet climates which are inimical to barley production.

Growing barley and malting it are separate things.

Not saying AU can't malt: just being a pedant because I'm on a forum and it's allowed.

Maybe we are relying on the wrong people to do the malting and select the grain.

I don't stock JW, well there are a couple of exceptions. The Porter Malt is unique and great.
But lets say compare the other Aussie Malt, Barrett Burston to Wyermann,

First of all these are all good quality Malts.
The Weyermann Pilsner range at the moment goes like this

Pilsner
Premium Pilsner
Floor Malted Bohemian Pilsner
Floor Malted Bohemian Pilsner Dark

There is a big difference between the Oz Malts and the Weyermann. But it depends on the beer. If your making a delicate Pilsner, the Malts are key. If your making something bolder, then the base malt is less of a consideration. Nonetheless the Weyermann in my opinion is far better.

Then weigh up the extra cost, the Weyermann is more expensive. We all have a budget, and that is sometimes the main consideration. A good brewer will turn out a good beer with any of these malts.

I think in this comparison you get what you pay for.

Personally I have beers that I make that use BB Pils and others that use Wey Premium Pils. The Wey Premium Pils is my personal favourite. It is biggest selling malt by the bag that I sell behind BB Ale being the most popular.

The craft breweries are mostly on the same page. I see truck loads of Wey Premium Pils by the pallet going to the craft breweries.

Now this really annoys me. Someone with a commercial position passing an opinion based on what they profit from.

Brewno Marz said:
Now this really annoys me. Someone with a commercial position passing an opinion based on what they profit from.
Sorry man.

I think I have given a balanced perspective. I am also in a position to touch and feel the malts everyday, so I thought it worthwhile. You know I am a retailer, so you can take what I say anyway you like, but my intentions are for the brewing community.

I am also a brewer, been brewing and a member here for 10 years. I am not saying buy anything off me.

I pass opinions with regards to making the best beer. That is what is in everyone's interest. I trust most people see it that way.

If you remain unhappy you can report this to the moderators.

Cheers Steve

Weyermenn and Gladfield grains are from cooler climates with (slightly) higher rainfalls than the Australian grain belt.

And I suspect slightly better soils with less sand and dust blasting the fields.

Actually the snow on the southern Alps of NZ occasionally glow red with dust from Australian soils.

While you have admitted you are one of those who hate JW because it is less profitable, I think you should try some of their others - their amber and roasted barley add some excellent notes for those of us who love classic British Ales - I was converted from a crappy kit brewer to a crafter by a girlfriend who was a member of CAMRA, plus while most of Australia only drank highly processed sugar lager swill, Perth has a huge number of POMEs so I was able to try English beers on tap.

That and a friend gave me a classic book - can't remember the guy's name now and he died about 10 years ago - with old recipes that even included stuff like wheatbix (I used Vita-Brix and the result was actually quite nice.)

I don't hate you for it (unless you are also a hipster,) but if you don't stock what I want I won't buy it from you.

Edit: I was replying to Brewman_ - just a couple posted in-between.

Tasmanian barley and maltsters would be the go. Anyone recommend any?

Phoney said:
Has anyone here tried Gladfield pilsner & can compare to Weyermann pilsner?
IMO Weyermann > Gladfield > Oz Pilsners*.

Having had a lot of exposure to Oz pilsner malts from both the production and brewing persectives, I think the dominant barley varieties grown here make better ale malts, they tend to retain a grassy edge when restricted to Pilsner levels of modification.

Quokka42 said:
While you have admitted you are one of those who hate JW because it is less profitable, I think you should try some of their others - their amber and roasted barley add some excellent notes for those of us who love classic British Ales - I was converted from a crappy kit brewer to a crafter by a girlfriend who was a member of CAMRA, plus while most of Australia only drank highly processed sugar lager swill, Perth has a huge number of POMEs so I was able to try English beers on tap.

That and a friend gave me a classic book - can't remember the guy's name now and he died about 10 years ago - with old recipes that even included stuff like wheatbix (I used Vita-Brix and the result was actually quite nice.)

I don't hate you for it (unless you are also a hipster,) but if you don't stock what I want I won't buy it from you.

I have never ever said I hate Joe White. Not here and not in any exchange or in any private conversation. That has never happened.

I have a preference and lets face it, there is no point holding two Australian malts. I have BB mainly and others have JW, you'll make good beer from both.

I said that I do have JW malts. I am a retailer of theirs.

Cheers Steve

Quokka42 said:

Just quietly, he never said he hated it, just that he doesn't stock it, with a couple of exceptions. I have noticed that most brew shops that stock a decent grain range tend to stock either JW or BB, rarely both. As he then goes on to express an opinion as a brewer, I personally think he should be applauded for being so upfront and honest.

@quokka - He didn't say it was less profitable either.
In between which lines on what page from which book are you reading?

Phoney said:
Has anyone here tried Gladfield pilsner & can compare to Weyermann pilsner?
Yes. Both are great base malts. You'll get great results with either.

ok all lets get back on topic of the malts and not what people stock or are haters of.

good4whatAlesU said:
A couple of these beers use exclusively Tasmanian grains - would be worth a comparo:
https://brunyislandcheese.com.au/beer
Not for horses folded away soon after it started. Only other maltser down here I know of is JW but that website mentioned tas grown, not specifically tas malted.

I would love to know of and purchase grain local to me of a high quality so if you know different, please elaborate. There is a lot of lovely whisky down here so presumably they are buying from somewhere (probably JW)

Wasn't a big fan of the bottled farm ale I tried but Bruny is superb so next time I go I'll make sure I try it in situ/context.

Latest posts

Back