Jockey Box ? thinking of getting one

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skb

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting a jockey box, but interested to know if they work well ?

My concern is I thought that a warm keg would have the CO2 come out of the beer, so wouldn't putting a warm keg through a Jockey box result in flat beer ... or am I mistaken.

I would love to be able to have a portable keg system .. and this seem to be the answer.

The other question is can you use the little 16g keg chargers to pour ? if so how many do you need for a keg and is the pressure ok

G'day Mate

I store my kegs out of the fridge and they hold carbonation just fine, so no drama with that issue. As far as the keg chargers they are pretty good, i get most of a 9L keg with one.

lmccrone said:
G'day Mate

I store my kegs out of the fridge and they hold carbonation just fine, so no drama with that issue. As far as the keg chargers they are pretty good, i get most of a 9L keg with one.
thanks for the quick response that is fantastic news ..

I dont think a 16g keg charger will have enough to push your beer through the ss chill coil

I don't find any dramas with excess foaming with hot kegs, but with my set up the beer is only borderline cold enough once poured if using a hot keg so I generally chill the kegged beer first and often have the kegs sitting in ice also. I think the general consensus for the CO2 bulbs is 1 per 9L 2 per 19L kegs for dispensing. I found them quite frustrating to use so now just have a small gas bottle.

Adam.

my mates and i use jockey boxes all the time for camping and events. we have 3 boxes with a total of 5 taps.

you will use more gas to push it through the coil or cold plate whilst keeping the co2 in suspension (ie beer carbonated) my home system pours at 10psi but most jockey boxes i've been involved in will need around 30psi to run. I cannot comment on the gas bulbs, we always take a bottle or 3 with us. Sodastream as our backup.

they work brilliantly as long as you can get ice every few days (if camping). We always try to be kind to the kegs and don't store in direct sunlight.

Great thanks looks like a purchase is a must

Back