Jesters Pies

• Thread starter olly4891
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O

olly4891

Not sure how many of you will be familar with this establishment or not...Most West Auzzies should have a fair idea, unsure about the rest???

Nonetheless, I tried a couple of their pies this morning and was utterly disappointed. Sorry, to be venting on the forum like this, but just thought I would share with you all the following rant I emailed to their comments page:

Dear Jesters,

I do really hope you take constructive criticism as seriously as you apparently take your pies. If not, tough, I'm going to criticise you anyway.

I recently had an 'experience' with your Armadale store, and I have to say, I wont be going back. Its nothing to do with staff, the venue, location or even the area...but your pies. They are terrible.

I tried the 'Pavarotti'. Chicken, bacon, mushroom and creamy Carbonara sauce. Firstly, I only had to engage my mandible on two occasions to actually chew a piece of chicken, the remaining piece's (or flecks) of chicken where so small they may as well not have been there. I don't recall consuming anything resembling bacon. On the plus side, a few bits of mushroom were there... but the most overwhelming part of the entire thing, was this strange white, snot consistency type of thing that I assume you call, Carbonara sauce.

It reminded me of something my dog would cough up after drinking too much water, and probably tastes about the same. Why was there so much of this shit in your pie? It's ******* horrible! What happened to the chicken and bacon? Does this sauce go into autocatalytic synthesis and consume other proteins? That would perhaps explain the lack of other meat based products in this pie, as I can see no good reason why anyone would want to pay good money, for a pastry filled with clag (you know, that cheap white glue that we used as kids at school...came in a white bottle with a red lid and a little brush...we all licked it at least once - well, your Pavarotti tastes the same).

Now, you may think this is a little bit of an unfair criticism, considering I am attacking you based only on trying one of your pies. However, I thought about this, and decided that perhaps I got a dodgy pie, a one off bad batch. Maybe, the chef was out to lunch and his apprentice made this lot up and was smoking too many doobies before calculating the chicken and bacon to gloop ratio. So, I decided to try another of your pies, just to give you the benefit of the doubt.

**** me, was that a bad idea!

Chef's Special - The Hunter...Apparently has Venison, and other vegetable goodies. Seemed to me, the chef just ate one of his own Pavarotti's, realised how bad it was, regurgitated the contents of his stomach shortly after, put a lid on it and called it The Hunter. Its got small pieces of chopped up vege's with bits of meat around it that seriously looks like vomit. SERIOUSLY!!! Have a closer look next time you bite into one. Note the bits of what I can only assume is corn, potato and other unidentifiable chucks of crap in there, surrounded by more of this gloopy, clag snot stuff, this time in diarrhoea-brown colour.

What is going on in your head kitchen? Who is the creator of these things? Who let's your chef add tonnes of gelatine to your pies to bulk out the sauce...

Just so as not to seem totally negative about the whole thing, I would like to offer you a couple of friendly suggestions that may help improve the contents of your pies.

Firstly, shoot your head chef.
Second, throw out all the gelatine that you can find in your kitchen.
Third, stop chopping all your ingredients into such small pieces. Meat & vege's. Particularly the meat. Aussie's are meat lovers. They enjoy sinking their teeth into big steaks, lamb chops, fried bacon. Not nibbling on bite sized morsels of unidentifiable chewy things.
Four, pies don't need sauces. Good ingredients in the first place will give you good gravy's. Stop bulking out the pies with whatever that sauce shit is...put more meat in it instead.

Hopefully, this gives you something to work on.

For the time being, I'll be at Brumby's getting my pies from there. Which, conveniently, is only a 30 second stroll from your store.

Warmest regards,

Olly

@ Warmbeer

thanks. I had noticed. I also figured, this was the 'off-topic' section...

I am not aware of this establishment, but reading your letter in the assumption that it is a small chain or corner-shop style bakery, I think the translation is

Dear Jesters,

I'm pissed off so I'm writing this to you which I will then post all over the internet for others to praise me for being so ******* cool.

Blah blah ******* shite pies blah blah winge winge blah blah rant about pies for christ sake blah blah I'm too good for this shite blah blah.

Now if you excuse me, I'm off to show off my culinary superiority by eating food from a similarly tiny chain-bakery.

Insincere pleasantry.

Asshat.
Awesome. Now do one on the quality of the pizza at the local place - the people need to know the truth!

Quantum, you are spot on!

How about the local Indian...? Any other requests...perhaps a Hans cafe or similar

So you ordered something with Cabonara sauce then complained that pies don't need sauce.
Yeah, a well thought out complaint from a true pie critic here.
FFS. :unsure:

Might have been easier to just buy a pie from the other shop down the road. Shit you could have made 10 of your own pies in the time it took to write that letter.

Quantum: They are a franchise that sell pies all over the state. Doubt that 1 letter like that is going to change anything.

I shall endeavour to be nicer in the future...

flies.png

Jesters is a chain Pie store that has 15 year olds putting defrosted pie filling into premade pastry...... And you expected them to be good? Try a decent bakery.

Jester's pies always seemed to me to be a mass produced version of the vies you'd make in a Sunbeam pie maker, only the ones I made were better...

There was a shop in Chaddy years ago that had the best pies I've every had - brilliant fillings, and a pastry top that was brilliantly curled over on the edges - I've never found them again, and lusted after them often... drool & sigh...

Andy

I recently had an 'experience' with your Armadale store, and I have to say, I wont be going back. Its nothing to do with staff, the venue, location or even the area...but your pies. They are terrible.

I like how in your email you claim the location had nothing to do with your bad experience. Just walking through Armadale shops completely fucks my day up! You have to live here to understand :lol:

Cheers, John.

Yes treid one 8 years ago when I came over here, they are ******* awful and it beats me how any of the stores survive,
that said brumby's are not exactly delectable either.

edit ;I just read the bulk of your post, and its bloody funny, and the "glue" is exactly how i decribed these gastronomic vulgarities to someone recently

I hope they dont open a Darts store.... my reputation will be tarnished :blink:

Yep, agreed. Jesters pies are bloody shithouse. I probably wouldn't write a letter though, they would probably just laugh at it and file it with all the other complaint letters.

Bahahahaha........the funniest bit was where you said you'll go to Brumbies from now on :lol:

Their pies are absolute crap.

Latest posts

Back