Jerky from corned beef?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
apoole said:
Hi all,

Has anyone tried making jerky from corned beef? I just put a coned beef into the crock pot & noticed its quite a lean cut - I make jerky in a dehydrator & the leaner the better.

Adam
Hey Adam if you read the whole thread of A Beer Accompaniment you will find out lots about making your own jerky.

I only make jerky using silverside or salted pork as they already have lots of flavour - I don't do it for any other reason other than flavour. I think girello would be an excellent cut to use also due to it's leaness.

kezza said:
I use fresh silverside,topside and rump i have found corned silverside ends up to salty
The whole idea is that the corned meat is already salted so you dont need to add salt to your marinade

Rowy said:
Using the theory of the meat being already salted in brine would pickled pork be good in the smoker?
Hell yeah......you end up with yummy smoked ham

I buy pickled pork and roast in the oven. Comes out rather nice

Yep I've done pickled pork in the smoker, comes out nice pretty much like ham. Next time I do it I'll soak it in fresh water for a bit, then in a bit of honey & vinegar to soak as well, just found the last ones a bit too salty... And make sure the internal temp gets high enough, iirc over 83*C and if its got bone in it make sure the probe is in the thickest part right near the bone.

I tried once to make a kind of bacon by smoking a pickled pork. It tasted rather good but it was such a rough cut of meat it just didn't look appealing.
It's the thing at the back that kind of looks like a rabbit.

bbq.jpg

This batch just finished in the oven, made from a kilo and a half of vac sealed corned beef.

I must say I really do like the texture and mouthfeel the corned beef gives the jerky, it just has that slightest hint of cat food, in a very good way.
But then again it's straight out of the oven and still warm, will see how it tastes tomorrow.

DSC_5295.JPG

DSC_5298.JPG

Photos are weird, this is a deep bowl but it looks like just a few strips of jerky. Goes very well with the 4pack of Hop Hog I'm on tonight.

A couple of days ago I made jerky with corned beef, and while it is good, and the first time I have made jerky by myself, it is far too salty for my tastes.

My oven sucks, it is electric and seals well, so it always ends up steaming foods I am trying to roast (so I generally use a BBQ), but because it goes so low, it is actually pretty good for making jerky.

I had the oven too low and the jerky was not ready in the morning by the time I had to go to work, so the GF had to put them in storage. I failed to tell her that the lower rack was drenched in hab sauce on top of the already high chilli load.

Yeah, I did that. I was just saying that it sucks to roast stuff in because it seals so well.

Bizier said:
A couple of days ago I made jerky with corned beef, and while it is good, and the first time I have made jerky by myself, it is far too salty for me.
Ok.

Depends where you get your corned beef from.

Aldi-woolies-coles wont need much more salt. Local butcher..cant say.

What was your marinade...did you add salt...did you use lots of soy sauce

If it was to salty then look at your marinade.

Corned beef is a great starter as it is basically cured

You could use just the corned meat alone as a jerky

Latest posts

Back