Jerky from corned beef?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apoole

Reaction score
Hi all,

Has anyone tried making jerky from corned beef? I just put a coned beef into the crock pot & noticed its quite a lean cut - I make jerky in a dehydrator & the leaner the better.

Adam

I prefer to use corned beef when making jerky. I like the texture better than plain beef.

I have made it a few times now used the recipe from Paul Mercurio's book cooking with beer. Have always had good results it takes me about 8 hours in the dehydrator. Definitely give it a go

I honestly thought you're all talking about the tinned stuff and thought wtf, but then had a look in the above mentioned book and it appears I was wrong.

I might start doing this, it seems quick and easy and my partner has developed an expensive jerky habit.

Florian said:
I honestly thought you're all talking about the tinned stuff and thought wtf, but then had a look in the above mentioned book and it appears I was wrong.
Nooo no no, that's that horrible mechanically recovered meat. Coles have corned beef portions vac packed at around $10/kg, usually around the 500-700g size, very lean and good in the pot, needs a good wash after unpack aging as its quite salty (as expected)

apoole said:
Nooo no no, that's that horrible mechanically recovered meat. Coles have corned beef portions vac packed at around $10/kg, usually around the 500-700g size, very lean and good in the pot, needs a good wash after unpack aging as its quite salty (as expected)
That's what I figured, why would anyone want to make jerky out of that stuff. Although, now that I've said it, I might as well give it a try. Will grab a tin when at Aldi next, and maybe grab a pack at coles and do a side by side.

Florian said:
That's what I figured, why would anyone want to make jerky out of that stuff. Although, now that I've said it, I might as well give it a try. Will grab a tin when at Aldi next, and maybe grab a pack at coles and do a side by side.
You'll be sooooooorrrry.

Judging by your avatar I would assume that you do that quite regularly then?

Seriously though, Might give it a miss then, also just came back from Aldi but didn't put it on the list, so didn't get it.

Yes...corned beef makes the best jerky..

I have been using it for years. The reason being is

A. It is already salted and cured
B. It is generally lean which is what you need
C. Its cheap.
D. It is not tough
E. It makes great jerky

I go to the supermarkets and pick cryvac corned meat with the smallest amount of fat.

A good trick is to freeze the meat up to the point where it is ALMOST FROZEN. Then slice it into 5mm thick slabs. It is a lot easier to slice meat semi frozen. Its an old butchers trick.

Make sure you cut as much fat as possible of the meat.

Marinade over night in the fridge. If you want a rub to stick whilst drying then let it dry/drain then rub on honey then your dry rub... bit like crumbed chicken etc.. egg then crumb

I do mine in the oven set at about 80-90*c. Takes about 4-6 hrs

Dont make the mistake of cutting your slabs into strips before you dry it......you will end up with string

Using the theory of the meat being already salted in brine would pickled pork be good in the smoker?

I use fresh silverside,topside and rump i have found corned silverside ends up to salty

Latest posts

Back