Jenco 618N pH meter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Novastart

Reaction score
Hi

Looking at a digital pH meter, a Jenco 618N pH and temp meter, mainly because it has a temp range up to 100 deg C

the other one I was looking at was a Hanna 98128 pH and Temp but it only goes to 60 deg C (possibly to low to put it straight in mash wort). Has anyone got any thoughts on either of these meters, had/used one? I have seen the Hanna's pH, EC brother and was impressed with the build quality. Or if there are other worth considering?

Cheers

Brownie

Don't get a pH meter based on its temp range alone. You don't want to be exposing the probe to high temps as it reduces the working life of the things real quick. Also pH is different at different temps and mash pH is given at room temps as that is the standard. You would need to know the exact temp of your hot samples and then convert it to room temp pH to know if your mash pH was in the territory you want to achieve.

I bought a Japanese Horiba aquatwin and am very happy with its accuracy and usability.

Jack of all biers said:
Don't get a pH meter based on its temp range alone. You don't want to be exposing the probe to high temps as it reduces the working life of the things real quick. Also pH is different at different temps and mash pH is given at room temps as that is the standard. You would need to know the exact temp of your hot samples and then convert it to room temp pH to know if your mash pH was in the territory you want to achieve.

I bought a Japanese Horiba aquatwin and am very happy with its accuracy and usability.
Jack, Looking at the manual for the Horiba PH22 there is no mention of storing electrode with storage solutions as with other instruments such as the Hanna ones
Is this necessary and how do you find the sensor life if only using every 3-4 weeks?

That's right it's not necessary according to the user manual, but reconditioning of the electrode with pH 7 solution for a fee hours is recommended if it has not been used for some time. I tend to cover to electrode with the solution the day before a brew day, but follow the instructions to the letter re cleaning and calibration.

I use it less than once a month (maybe one & half or every two) and have had it for over a year, so a little too early to tell yet. What I can say is it is extremely accurate and very easy to use.

Jack of all biers said:

Thanks for the reply Jack I have been playing with 2 Laquatwin pH meters from work, couldn't get them to read the same reading at the same time or even the same reading twice on a single meter. Even after soaking the sensor in pH7 standard solution for a day then re doing 2 point calibration rinsing with distilled water in between calibration solutions I still had issues. However the Horiba Laquatwin Calcium and Sodium meters both consistently gave the same answer. They are all very simple to use but I couldn't get a consistent answer out of the pH meter or least not one to warrant upgrading from strips.

According the Tech Specs of the Jenco it has temperature compensated pH reading, also the idea i had was to verify the mash temp at the same time as my robobrew is a bit out i suspect. ;) Hence asking if anyone had used one, whats on paper is not always the same as in practice.

Yeah, the measurement can creep on the Laquatwin a bit on the normal setting, but if you hold the Measurement button down when taking a measurement, it does a better reading and holds the result. Sounds like your work ones might be past their best though, as the creep I've seen is no where near the 'not worth getting as opposed to strips' type creep. What are they used to test on generally? At what temps? Higher temps can slowly (or quickly) ruin the effectiveness of pH tester electrodes.

I'm not saying the Horiba pH meters are the bomb, but for me, for the price v quality, I found they seemed to meet the 'good enough' scale. Mine is also temp compensated and I think you'll find that all brands recommend that getting the sample to room temp will prolong the life of the sensors/electrode.

EDIT - how much is the Jenco? Is it worth getting a good thermometer to check temps and a pH meter that can be used at room temp. Apart from saving your electrode, the temp of your sample does matter. Mash pH recommendations are given at room temp, which from memory is lower at higher temps (mash temps around 65C) by 0.35 or thereabouts.

They could possibly past their best the are only a year and half old but no idea how they where treated in that time. They are both used for irrigation and dam water so no high temps involved.

Jenco is about $240 without storage solution and buffers.

Fair call on separate temp meter, just curious if it possible to kill two bird with one stone. I have a basic thermometer but it is very slow to react and i cant be bothered holding it :)

Mine is just over a year old, so maybe I'll find out soon how much longevity it has, but to date I'm happy with it and it always provides accurate readings that are damn close to what Brewers friend has predicted for the recipe/salt additions etc.

When I was looking for mine I came across this thread. There are a few options put up with opinions and advice so worth a read. http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/89292-ph-meter-recommendations/page-3

Novastart said:
Hi

Looking at a digital pH meter, a Jenco 618N pH and temp meter, mainly because it has a temp range up to 100 deg C

the other one I was looking at was a Hanna 98128 pH and Temp but it only goes to 60 deg C (possibly to low to put it straight in mash wort). Has anyone got any thoughts on either of these meters, had/used one? I have seen the Hanna's pH, EC brother and was impressed with the build quality. Or if there are other worth considering?

Cheers

Brownie
I would be opting for the Hanna, got almost 4 years out of mine before replacing the electrode, plus you have good support from Hanna here in Melbourne.

Latest posts

Back