Jao The Ultimate Beginners Mead Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first batch is fizzing away nicely.
Mildura orange blossom honey, Mildura orange and Mildura muscats. Mildura Mead !

I substituted the raisins for the big, fat muscats, and threw in 3 dates too, just for laughs. And no bloody cloves, because they suck arse :icon_vomit:
Hopefully it'll be just the tipple with a cheese board at Christmas, though not this one unfortunately...too soon.

Where in the instructions does it say "2 packs of bread yeast"? Have a look at Page 1, for a 3.8lt batch (i.e. demijon sized) it calls for 1 tsp of bread yeast.

I suspect the reason you're not seeing anything is because all that yeast has completed fermentation within a 12 hour period.

Mmmmm, yeasty...

2 packs of that crusty old bread yeast thats been sitting on the shelf in woolly's for god knows how long, will be about equal to a teaspoon of healthy yeast when pitched dry straight into must at OG-1.380 or whatever it was because it was unreadable on the hydro when I checked it before adding the yeast. If it was done in a 12 hr period it would have bursted out the gladwrap but now I see it's just starting up and bubbling away nicely.
The 6 month old mead I have now is tasting really nice and I made a 5L starter with a liquid wyeast mead yeast pack and no "yeasty" flavours at all. Yes it's not to the recipe and more bread yeast than stated but now I see it fermenting away I think it'll turn out fine over time.

I just put my second mead down in as many weeks. First one using Red Box honey from Castlemaine and a Navel orange. The second one I got a little adventurous... Wangaratta Stringybark and a Blood Orange. Can't wait to try them!!

I just put my second mead down in as many weeks. First one using Red Box honey from Castlemaine and a Navel orange. The second one I got a little adventurous... Wangaratta Stringybark and a Blood Orange. Can't wait to try them!!
Ha! And Reedpaths just posted a photo of them on face book :p

made up my first batch of JAOM yesterday following the recipe including the optional spices, only problem i encountered was the IGA only had big navel oranges upon cutting open they were nice and juicy and the pith wasn't to thick so went with 2/3 of the orange cut into 8 pieces, and just used off the shelf black and gold honey

then was bored this morning so made a second batch this time swapping the orange for a tangerine and using manuka honey and skipped the optional spices,

the local markets are on this weekend so i should be able to get some cheap honey and if im lucky when i get back to work next week our regular bee-keeping customer might have dropped some fresh honey in to, just have to remember to give him a few bottles when its done

Thanks for the beginner recipe. Ive never made Mead and found this really easy to follow.

Started bubbling away nicely after first hour and has been down two days now. Smells really nice in the cupboard. :rolleyes:

Its at 26 degrees with a single buble coming through the airlock every 5-6 seconds.

The yeast I used was Tandaco dry yeast (7grams per pack) from Coles.

Has about 1 cm of head on it.

I just opened my JAO. Been 18 months in bottle (I know...best drunk fresh!). Friends polished off a bottle in a couple days and asked for more. Will have to make another batch urgently as I only have 4 more litres. Will try fresh next time. Delicious.

Just bottled my second batches. Another pair of 5l demijons. After a month I racked one onto a heap of frozen berries and some french berry jam. I didn't take OG readings or SG when I racked.

It's been three months. They started getting very clear about a month ago, but the fruit didn't drop until I crash chilled a few days ago.

I probably should have taken readings...maybe waited a bit more. The honey mead was ~1050 and the melomel ~1070. I suspect that one stopped fermenting soon after I racked it.

I am drinking the melomel now. Pretty darn sweet, but not undrinkably so. Well over a definition of a sweet mead though. As I didn't take OG readings, I have no idea of alcohol content. Looking at OGs posted in this thread it could be anywhere between 2.5 and 8%.

Lessons you might draw from this: take OGs, don't rack onto something acidic too early.

G'day All,
I posted this message before but I do not know if I posted it in the correct place. I have read all these messages on Mead so I thought I would post it here as well.
Cheers Perry

G'day Brewer Pete,
I have followed your Mead recipe to a T. I made sure I purchased new yeast and kept the temperature correct. The mead bubbled in the airlock for two days, now it has stopped. I can see thousands of tiny bubbles coming from the bottom of the glass carboy to the top. I am in Queensland and the temperature is in the high 20. Could you give me some advice please, or anybody that has knowledge on the subject of Mead.
Cheers Perry the Pom

Stick it under the house. It is too hot. I just leave mine in cupboardwhich seems to stsay quite cool.

G'day All,
I posted this message before but I do not know if I posted it in the correct place. I have read all these messages on Mead so I thought I would post it here as well.
Cheers Perry

G'day Brewer Pete,
I have followed your Mead recipe to a T. I made sure I purchased new yeast and kept the temperature correct. The mead bubbled in the airlock for two days, now it has stopped. I can see thousands of tiny bubbles coming from the bottom of the glass carboy to the top. I am in Queensland and the temperature is in the high 20. Could you give me some advice please, or anybody that has knowledge on the subject of Mead.
Cheers Perry the Pom

I needed a 5 litre demi today and then it hit me - I'd seen this recipe 2 years ago, raced out to get all the goodies, followed the recipe to the letter and started it same day......
Having forgotten all about it for long enough to go significantly greyer I eyed the brew with some suspicion, the orange was a nasty dark colour - but hey it was nice and clear so I siphoned it out 99% sure I it was going to be bordering on poisonous.
A tentative sip ............... heaven :icon_drunk: , still not quite believing it could actually be alright, much less the sweet warming nectar I had sippped I poured 2 little glasses, added some ice and had my lad try it with me - it's unanimous.

I'm certainly not saying it was a good idea to leave it that long, but the mead gods were obviously smiling upon me.

Cheers,
Spanky.

Tried mine a couple of weeks ago after 3 months and it's just got the hottest alcohol taste. Pretty disappointing really lucky Iv'e got heaps more mead on the go that is tasting spectacular!

Thanks for the beginner recipe. Ive never made Mead and found this really easy to follow.

Started bubbling away nicely after first hour and has been down two days now. Smells really nice in the cupboard. :rolleyes:

Its at 26 degrees with a single buble coming through the airlock every 5-6 seconds.

The yeast I used was Tandaco dry yeast (7grams per pack) from Coles.

Has about 1 cm of head on it.

This batch of mead from last month cleared last night - happy new year!!

Will it be ok to drink so soon after just 30 days?

bottled my first batch yesterday. looks pretty darn spiffy

20130120151129.jpg

Well I went and forgot to add the water after the initial flurry of fermentation. Just checked on it after almost 3 months and they are clear as a bell. Too late to top up the water to 5L?

Just whipped up my first JAO, followed the instructions to the letter, currently sitting in a dark place waiting for the yeasties to kick into action, roll on the next few months!

I like the idea of this mead stuff, makes me imagine pewter or wooden tankards and goblets, open fires, candlelight and importantly wenches dispensing the mead into said tankards and goblets of hairy men dressed in leather and fur, with daggers, axes n swords n stuff!

Yep I was born 1000 or so years too late!! :beerbang:

bullsneck said:
Well I went and forgot to add the water after the initial flurry of fermentation. Just checked on it after almost 3 months and they are clear as a bell. Too late to top up the water to 5L?
See what your grav is like. As I posted above, I had a couple batches of this that finished way high - 1050 for a straight one and 1070 for one I mixed with berries. The 1070 in particular was undrinkably sweet. I have found that it is absolutely smashing mixed in with Champagne or Cider though.

I have post diluted beer with boiled, coiled water at bottling before and the product was OK, and I believe the big commercials do this too? Wouldn't hurt to try, but I'd let gravity be your guide. Any higher than 1050 and I'd say it's too sickly sweet, but maybe it will make a good mixer?

Danwood said:
My first batch is fizzing away nicely.
Mildura orange blossom honey, Mildura orange and Mildura muscats. Mildura Mead !

I substituted the raisins for the big, fat muscats, and threw in 3 dates too, just for laughs. And no bloody cloves, because they suck arse :icon_vomit:
Hopefully it'll be just the tipple with a cheese board at Christmas, though not this one unfortunately...too soon.
OK, all finished and bottled !

OG 1.118
FG 1.010
14.5% abv

Initial tasting is very good. Quite light, nice citrus sweetness with a touch of bitterness and a slight warmth at the end.

Although, that was straight out of the fridge, crash chilling to drop the yeast, so I'd expect all the above notes to be more exaggerated when it's a bit warmer....which I'm looking froward to !

I had a play aroung with 3 of the bottles too. One with 2 whole cocoa beans, one with 4 cocoa beans and one straight but with a half tsp honey for a little carbonation.

I'll post back results in a month or two :icon_cheers:

Have made so many versions of this and never thanked you Pete. My wife no longer worries about the time and money spent on my brewing . Thanks !!. My fav version of JAO is no cloves, Blackberries instead of raisons, blood oranges, and 3 or 4 star anise, done with a nice dry style white wine yeast--- oh yeah, pattersons curse honey.

Bottled mine yesterday and can suggest that lowans bread yeast has a decent alcohol tolerance. The mead was thin, highly potent and the primary flavour seemed to be orange peel, will not be using the whole orange next time! The yeast chewed up all the honey and if I had to compare it to anything it tastes like cask moselle that I imagine is in the high teens as far as alcohol content goes. Wasn't what I expected, it did taste marginally better with a teaspoon of honey whirled around in it though. Couldnt register any spicy notes from the cinnamon, nutmeg or clove, was just hot and orangey. Oh well, one must try these things.

Latest posts

Back