James Squires' Brewhouse And Restaurant

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was down at the James Squire Brewhouse yet again a week or so ago.
The brew gear still isn't plumbed in.

I asked them why they hadn't started brewing yet and the answer was they don't have a license to brew there yet.
They were hoping to get the license at the end of this month (Feb).

Hopefully they will be brewing there soon.

Beers,
Doc

<<Don't take this as JS bashing, coz I love their beers normally, but.......>>

I was at the Melbourne JS Brewpub the other week when I was in Melb for work. After building it up to the guy I was with, we got there and were both REALLY disappointed.

They were serving every beer way too cold. They all came out tasting really bland and flavourless. We even had to switch from pints to schooners just so that we could finish the beers. Ended up getting through the entire menu, to me the Highwayman was the better, but only in comparison to the others.

It's really weird, coz I love their wheat beer, amber, and porter out of the tap, and have had them several times. For each of these beers, they tasted better back here in adelaide. Weird.

Has anyone else noticed this?

I'm going to be in Sydney soon, so I'll have to give the one at the rocks a go for comparison.

Yes, I'm with you Boots.
I had an Amber Ale at the Greenwood last Thursday night and it was awful.
My wife got me a couple of their Colonial Wheats, and they were very ordinary too.

My only hope is with the hot weather in Sydney recently they just haven't been stored or transported properly.

Doc

i was at malt shovel brewery last night, speaking to the guy that runs the brewhouse....he said they will start brewing april.

should be nice.

Heard from a reliable source they started brewing a couple of weeks back (finally).
If I get a chance, I'll slip out tomorrow for lunch and see if they have them on tap yet.

Also was at lunch today at the Newport Arms (Newport, Northern Beaches, Sydney). There was a poster up that Chuck Hahn was going to be doing beer tastings there in a couple of weeks. One of the beers on the list was the James Squire Golden Ale.
Anyone know anything about this beer ? There is a post on OzCB today saying it is brewed with Amarillo hops. Anyone got any more details ?

Beers,
Doc

got this email from msb -
TOP SECRET NEWS
As you are a valued member of our beer club, we are now going to let you in on a little secret...this summer we are bringing out a new limited release beer, guaranteed to quench the thirst on those long hot days! This top secret brew will be available at your local good bottle shops. Make sure you keep your eyes open in November and remember...ssshhh!!

the new beer sounds ok, although i hope they dont stop making the summer wheat - i love that beer.

http://www.realbeer.com.au/alefiles/local_..._10_11_0015.php

"Golden Ale is a lighter bodied beer with an alcohol content of 4.5%. Fresh toasted grains of Barley and Wheat give it a rich orange-amber colour and the pleasing tropical stone fruit aroma comes from the new season Amarillo hops, said Head Brewer, Doug Donelan. "Often thought of as an English-style summer beer, this brew demands cold fermentation. It has a restrained bitter finish, mild carbonation, a firm head and a dry cracking finish and is an ideal thirst quenching session beer,

Sounds great bobby, first time i see it i will be grapping a six pack.
Those amirrillo hops rock and i'll be grapping as many as i can when the next load is avaliable to us.

Jayse

Bobby said:
"Golden Ale... <snip> this brew demands cold fermentation."
So is this actually an ale or is it a lager? :huh: :unsure: Their 'porter' is a lager too isn't it? <_<

yeah like wise, sounds the goods. but i will miss the summer wheat - looks like i will have to brew a wheat beer then....

Sounds like a lager to me. pour sods are missing half the flavour! ;)

i went to the Caledonian tonite to celebrate their first birthday, and had one of the MSB wheat beers on tap. Unofrtunately is was very very sour :angry: , maybe a berliner weisse. they didn't have any other kegs of wheat so had to make do working through there other tap beers - porter, amber and pils. :rolleyes:

Went here for lunch on Saturday and enjoyed three off there beers. The Governer King, Highway man and the Craic.

I thought that the Governer king was great with a balanced hop flavour and aroma. Might have to try some munich in my next Pale ale. Tasted like amarillo hops aswell. Anyone know what type of hops are used.

The Craic was also an excelent beer. Beautiful chocolate flavour and one of the smoothest stouts I have had. How do they get the stouts to settle in the glass like that. Would love to give it a go

Kabooby :)

Latest posts

Back