James Squire Run Rebelion Porter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Quality over Quantity
Reaction score
I had a couple of these the other night with my old man (who works for a megaswill mob) and we both decreed it was one of the best comercial beers (australian) we had tried in a while.

Aparently it is matured in old oak rum barrels for a while before they bottle it.

I found it to be creamy smooth with a well ballanced bitterness and a rich chocolate taste and aroma.

Aparently there is only 800 or so cases made so it you can get some grab a carton. It was $49 a carton at Dan Murphys when i was there last. I should have got a case.

I bought the last 6 pack of Coopers 2006 strong vintage ale instead and was disapointed with it :(

Will store the last 4 bottles for a year or 2 and try them then to see if its improved.

Who else has tried these beers and what was your thoughts on them?

cheers

Edit: yeah yeah i called it Run rebelion porter

RUM Rebelion Porter is what its called ;)

ahhhhhh what are we going to do with ourselves Jazman :super:

Thanks for that, I just got the last case from D.M.
I'll let u know what I think tomorrow

good score mate.

While we aro on dan murphys i got a couple of chech beers from there i havnt tried before.

Kozel Premium and Kozel Dark

The promium was very nice, a malty clean pilsner but the Dark is awsome. Its only 3.8% ABV but it have a smooth chocolate/vanilla taste and is so easy to drink.

And only a bit over $2 for a 500ml bottle.

I think i will look into a carton price of this stuff.

Its the colour of tooheys old but tastes way way better and is cheaper than most imports.

It is a bit sweet but nice all the same

cheers

I grabbed a carton last week. I agree, a very nice beer by large commercial standards. I find it a little sweet for my taste though, a common theme with the JS brews. One thing I have discovered about this one is that the ladies tend to like it, quite unusual for a dark beer.

I was at JS in darling harbour last night and drank this beer all night.
Went great with the steak I had (which was awesome also)

Nice roasted flavour and seemed a bit more sharper than the normal porter and didn't leave as much of a coating inside your mouth.

Really liked this beer.

Bought a carton of it the other week. A very nice beer and agree it is on the sweet side. However, in order to gain maximum appeal, it seems to have been dumbed down a little compared to when I sampled it at a MSB club night at the Worldsend last year.

it probably has been dumbed down.
i was hoping for something abit more complex. it didnt quite match my anticipation for it.

good to see they are pushing the boundries though.

Richlum wrote:

At $8.50 a pint, I think I need to change jobs.

Pete

ill be down there next week for work, i cant wait to try it on tap!!!! Also have a tour lined up as well

Cheers, JJ :D

Richlum wrote:

At $8.50 a pint, I think I need to change jobs.

Pete

Thats about the price of a standard pint in WA, although premium beers dont seem to cost anymore...

I tried a 6 pack of this the other day. not bad. smooth is probably the best way to describe it. I think I prefer my beers a bit rougher around the edges, with a bit less subtley (sp)?

I grabbed a carton last week. I agree, a very nice beer by large commercial standards. I find it a little sweet for my taste though, a common theme with the JS brews. One thing I have discovered about this one is that the ladies tend to like it, quite unusual for a dark beer.

I started with a six pack, but then the missus decided that she liked it too(go figure, hates beer) So I went out and got a carton. Last one @ Vintage Cellars on the day. Then she helped me drink it also...

Must admit I was rather happy with the flavour of this one. Although when drank real cold, lacked the rum flavour.

Might have to try to get my hands on another if I can.

Cheers

HK :chug:

Hi,

I went halves in a case of the JS rum rebellion porter with a mate a week ago. Not bad at all but I like JS porter normally anyway.

Actually went down to my local vintage cellars (to get the JS RRP) and saw they have some pretty good pricing for their belgian beers (chimay was cheaper than what I've been paying). I'll have to go back. I wonder what sort of a case price they'll do for chimay grand reserve... I was reading in my World book of Beer that if you lay it down for 5 years it develops similar chemical qualities as in port.

Does anyone have a 5 year bottle in their cellar? I don't think I've got the patience to not drink it for 5 years, maybe I should invest in a saftey deposit box.

As for the Kozel, my DM used to only have the premium and now only has the dark (when I looked last, thought that could just be a stocking issue). You can pay alot more for alot crapper. I've only given the premium a whirl, but on your reccomendation Tony, I'll have to road test the dark.

Mic

Not bad at all but I like JS porter normally anyway.

Each to their own, but I can't stand the JS Porter.

Bought a sixer of it thinking "I'll like this" and was way wrong...tasted like cocoa flavoured mouthwash if you ask me, I couldn't stand it and palmed off four of them to my dad :excl:

But again, that's just what I think of the regular Porter and if I see the Rum Rebellion Porter around I may as well buy one to try it (you'll never never know if you never never go) :chug:

PZ.

Just got a 6pk from Buck's Off Liquor on High Road in Riverton (for th WA dudes). Seemed to have a few cartons left, thought if I like the 6pk I'll go back tomorrow and buy the carton. I think ~$48 for the carton and ~$13.50 for the 6pk.

Not bad at all but I like JS porter normally anyway.

Each to their own, but I can't stand the JS Porter.

Bought a sixer of it thinking "I'll like this" and was way wrong...tasted like cocoa flavoured mouthwash if you ask me, I couldn't stand it and palmed off four of them to my dad :excl:

But again, that's just what I think of the regular Porter and if I see the Rum Rebellion Porter around I may as well buy one to try it (you'll never never know if you never never go) :chug:

PZ.

I was of the same opinion.

I detest the regular JS porter. Its thin and acrid and if i brewed it i would be looking into what i did wrong.

But this is definatly a better beer.

Dont know if i would pay $8.50 a pint for it though.

Do you know how much beer i can make for $8.50

cheers

Oh and long live chech and chong :super:

Hooooly sheeeep shiiiit :lol:

Latest posts

Back