James Squire Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Cracking finish" in the 6 pack I had was eerily reminiscent to staling; I just can't get past using Amarillo using to achieve that taste. Don't get me wrong, I like the aroma, and the bitterness was OK, I just don't like the finish it gives. Thought it could do with slightly more body too. I drank them though, so I wasn't overly offended :p

Just got back from the pub ... had one of these and I didn't bother with a second. My impression was mildly hoppy with a clean watery aftertaste. Pretty average indeed. Some hop notes but nothing special.

ramble on ...

I'll second all the previous comments about this beer. I found it quite sweet actually, not really enough bitterness there and thus on a hot day not too many of these would be knocked back before you started to feel a little overwhelmed by the sweetness. But yes the one dimentional comment was an apt one too.
Fair but not inspiring, won't have another.

For those that want to clone it, Dark crystal and amber malt are present amoung other malts. I asked Doug.

JD

Believe a couple of MSB kits will be waiting for me under the tree come Saturday, so I picked up two stubbies each of the JS pilsner & IPA on Tuesday night for a taste test.
Shirley Tracey & I were out eating Vietnamese*, not the most subtle food as a background, but anyway...
1- not bottle conditioned. You know, you get very used to seeing a bit of a throw in your brew after a while, and you miss it when it's not there.
2- label says "brewed by MSB or local licensees/nominees" (or something)- who do they farm the work out to?
3- the IPA was dry hoppy as all get out, ditto the pilsner. When we left I slugged down the last (warm) inch in my glass- like lemon juice mixed with malt. Over kill.
4- not comfortable with the (fake?) heritage marketing either.

I am looking forward to the kits, to see what we can make out of them, hopefully we can do them and our palates justice. But for my money it's neither of these were a beer to taste and then say- "I want to make something like this".

*Quan 88, 88 Victoria St. Richmond, try the grilled beef in mint leaves & broken rice combination.

Backlane.

I think they farm out production because the volume is probably now well over what the brewery can handle.

They are owned by Lion Nathan - so this gives them the flexibility of using the larger brewery's in the group. A bit dissappointing - but business is business and this is probably what LN planned all along for the brand. Hopefully one day Dr Hahn will take a nice package and start out again as a true independent without a big brother looking over his shoulder. Having said that he has done a lot for Aussie beer over the past 15 odd years.

I don't mind the Pilsener and the IPA but was dissappointed with the Golden Ale. Hope the kits turn out well !!

I had the Golden Ale the other night. Was amazed because it had flavour then it was all gone. Wierd never had a beer like that. One minute you taste it then it just vanishes with the dry finish. Mind you this was only the first bottle. The next few I could get some aftertaste.

Anyone got any ideas on a recipe for this? Extract or partial or full mash?

am

I'd say first and foremost you'd want to get your hands on some Amarillo hops. IBUs wouldn't be all that high 25 or so :super:

Taking a rough stab at the grainbill would be pale/pils malt, about 10% light munich or vienna and a small amount of light crystal would get you close. OG of about 1.045-1.050.

Use Wyeast 1056 or it's Whitelabs equivalent. Ferment on the lowish end and keep the esters to a minimum.

Hope this helps and don't quote me because I haven't made this beer. Just a wild guess from tasting the commercial equivalent. Nice drop. :)

Warren -

Cheers Warren,

I just read that (grain wise) it is a combo of barley and wheat malts, so i'll have to add some wheat too.

Also I don't think I've ever seen anyone with amarillo hops in stock, but then again I haven't looked for them before.

My HBS here in Newcastle got some Amarillo in 3 weeks or so ago. PM me if you would like the details. I'm sure he'll ship them to you if you would like.

No affiliation etc.

Shawn.

Bugger. Didn't even know it had wheat. :eek:

Think Goliath's in SA stock Amarillo hops from memory. Remember stumbling on their site once. Mayabe some of our SA bretheren can verify. ;)

Warren -

Latest posts

Back