Jaggery Brown Ale, Tips?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrumpy

Reaction score
I'm just after some opinions on this brown ale recepie i've come up with, i've sorta mashed this one outa the Classic Beer Styles series (Brown Ale) the recepie calls for about 8% Treacle but I've substituted it with Indian Jaggery sugar. Ive been wanting to experiment with sugars in brown ales for some time and this is gonna be my first crack at it. The Jaggery, I picked up at an local indian supermarket, it smells and tastes delish! lots of plums and rasins!

Any way has any body brewed a brown ale this way?? any tips would be great!

have'nt decided on yeast either. was thinking London ale III??
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Beer
Brewer: Daniel
Asst Brewer:
Style: Southern English Brown Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 33.63 L
Estimated OG: 1.040 SG
Estimated Color: 39.5 EBC
Estimated IBU: 23.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.51 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 69.66 %
0.28 kg Bairds Brown Malt (128.1 EBC) Grain 7.82 %
0.28 kg Special B Malt (354.6 EBC) Grain 7.82 %
0.17 kg Weyermann Cara Pils (2 Row) Ger (5.0 EBC) Grain 4.85 %
0.07 kg Bairds Chocolate Malt (1200.0 EBC) Grain 2.04 %
32.66 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 20.0 IBU
15.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (10 min) Hops 3.3 IBU
0.28 kg Cane (Beet) Sugar (0.0 EBC) Sugar 7.82 %

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 3.32 kg
----------------------------
ERROR - All Grain/Partial Mash recipe contains no mash steps

Notes:
------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No tips from me but Jaggery is mentioned a bit in radical brewing if you have access to a copy.

I'm just after some opinions on this brown ale recepie i've come up with, i've sorta mashed this one outa the Classic Beer Styles series (Brown Ale) the recepie calls for about 8% Treacle but I've substituted it with Indian Jaggery sugar. Ive been wanting to experiment with sugars in brown ales for some time and this is gonna be my first crack at it. The Jaggery, I picked up at an local indian supermarket, it smells and tastes delish! lots of plums and rasins!

Any way has any body brewed a brown ale this way?? any tips would be great!
Brown ale no, but I have brewed a Scotch/Scottish ale with an addition of Jaggery.
Since Jaggery is semi refined sugar it will impart more flavour to your beer than refined sugar would, but its not unlike treacle in that regard.
However most of the sugar will ferment out and since it's only 8% of the fermentables and you also have a number of specialty grains in the recipe, I'm not sure it will be that noticeable, other than as an extra layer of complexity - with any specifics probably only determined by a side-by-side brew/taste test.

You're not going to taste much jaggery; not with Brown, Special B and Chocolate malts! I think if you used enough to taste it, you'd be bang outta style.

Maybe bulk prime with it as well?

Chuck some chalk (calcium carbonate) in there as well to balance the acidy malts when you mash... Southern Browns need to be sweeter than my beloved Northern brews.

I've used jaggery to sweeten a Perry...

Let us know how it turns out!

gonna brew this one tommorrow got the grain in yesterday ready to go, made a 2L starter this morn, ended up going with wyeast 1318 London ale III.

any body think it would be a bad idea upping the Jaggery to 570 grams ( 15% double than original recipe ) this would up the gravity by 5 points to 1.045.

I really wanna get some of the jaggery flavour to come through! I'm just not to sure how much to throw in , Its sorta scary throwing other fermentables into the kettle.

cheers folks!

any body think it would be a bad idea upping the Jaggery to 570 grams ( 15% double than original recipe ) this would up the gravity by 5 points to 1.045.

I really wanna get some of the jaggery flavour to come through! I'm just not to sure how much to throw in , Its sorta scary throwing other fermentables into the kettle.
5-15% sugar is not uncommon, but I'm not sure you'd want to go much higher than that.

Randy Mosher's sugar comparison table describes jaggery as 'delicate but complex' and suggest it adds a creamy softness, so you may find that - especially since have 4 specialty grains in your recipe - that the jaggery will not add much more than a subtle layer of complexity to what is already a very busy list of fermentables.

5-15% sugar is not uncommon, but I'm not sure you'd want to go much higher than that.

Randy Mosher's sugar comparison table describes jaggery as 'delicate but complex' and suggest it adds a creamy softness, so you may find that - especially since have 4 specialty grains in your recipe - that the jaggery will not add much more than a subtle layer of complexity to what is already a very busy list of fermentables.

cheers wolfy,

maybe i'll keep the recepie as is this time round, next time ill drop some of the spec malts and up the jaggery to 10 or so percent.

You're not going to taste much jaggery; not with Brown, Special B and Chocolate malts! I think if you used enough to taste it, you'd be bang outta style.
With a little amount that's my thinking too. I think jaggery has a pretty complex bunch of flavours on its own and can't guess how it would go with chocolate, brown and special B but it has got me thinking of making an imperial brown with jaggery before the winters done - something like double your grain bill and heaps of hops in a 23L batch.
I've brewed the Jaggery IPA in Radical Brewing twice and in fact just finished a glass now.
My first batch was great and I even managed to put a six pack in the cupboard for six months and they were awesome -probably the best beer I've made!
To me the freshly kegged jaggery has a real resiny maple sort of taste (battling it out with 120g of EKG) pretty dominant at first but after six months it is divine. :icon_drool2:

I make 21-23L batches and used
Australian Traditional Ale Malt 4.250 kg (70.2 %) In Mash/Steeped
Australian Wheat Malt 0.800 kg (13.2 %) In Mash/Steeped
Sugar - Jaggery 1.000 kg (16.5 %) Start Of Boil
UK Challenger (7.0 % alpha) 50 g Loose Pellet Hops used 70 Min From End
UK Golding (7.5 % alpha) 120 g Loose Pellet Hops used 5 Min From End
First batch I used Wyeast 1968 (perfect) and this time around 1028(good but not quite as nice as the 1968 version yet).

Just noticed a few 7% beers has got me typing a bit too! :lol:

Latest posts

Back