I've created a monster - How did this happen?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

altone

Reaction score
Ok. I've been using up lot's of bits and pieces up recently to get rid of them and I decided to make a sort of American Pale

Here's what i used aiming to get a Corny keg full of beer.

2.50 kg Pilsner (2 Row) UK (2.0 EBC)
1.25 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) US (3.9 EBC)
0.25 kg Munich II (23.0 EBC)
0.25 kg Pale Crystal (110.0 EBC)

30.00 g Old China Hop [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min (original AA 14%)
20.00 g Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 20.0 min
20.00 g Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 0.0 min

Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)

70 min boil to accommodate the Pilsner malt

I was going to use a dried California yeast but went with 2x rehydrated Coopers packets that were lying around.

Fermented around 18C and left for 10 days.
Measured OG was 1.048 FG was 1.005 - with Coopers???

Tastes almost like a Dry white wine ..
I can taste and smell the Amarillo, the malt is lost to me, but no Acetic or off flavours that I can identify.

Any ideas whether this could be caused by bad process or if I just got some aggressive wild yeast in there?

Luckily my last mistake, the Munich Pale Ale when blended 50/50 with this tastes pretty decent so I'm not chucking it away.

[I use an SS bowl that weighs exactly 500g to measure grain in so I often just deduct 500g from the final weight to get the correct grain amount
I inadvertently zero'd the scales so added 750g instead of 250g]

Your still using the Chinese hops? I consider myself to be a tight arse and even I threw my 3kg's out.

mash temp and or mash volume would be where i'd be asking questions

malt junkie said:
Sounds like low mash temp combined with high attenuation.

what was the mash schedule?
Simple as I could make it. 75 mins at 66-67C Mashout heat to 75-76 for 10 mins - approx 8 mins to reach temp.

I've made other beers using same gear and method ok but this one was far from what I was expecting

bradsbrew said:
Your still using the Chinese hops? I consider myself to be a tight arse and even I threw my 3kg's out.
Not from the old 2009 (I think) bulk buy. They would have turned to dust a while ago I expect (Or compost in my case)

My wife goes to China regularly for business and bought these for me while she was there from Xi'an Lyphar biotech
from Shaanxi early last year.

A kilo cost about the same as a 90g pack would here, but they didn't even specify a hop type just humulus lupulus and the tech data.

My surprise was not at the taste - rather the low FG
I thought the yeast would have given up way before that.

The temps may have strayed a little as you guys suggest but wouldn't have thought way more than other brews.

From 1.048 to 1.005 you are at nearly 90% apparent attenuation, I suspect you might have a wild yeast infection, been using Champagne yeast or one of those "turbo" products in the brewery lately?
Mark

MHB said:
From 1.048 to 1.005 you are at nearly 90% apparent attenuation, I suspect you might have a wild yeast infection, been using Champaign yeast or one of those "turbo" products in the brewery lately?
Mark
Well the current "brewery" is the deck area and laundry with no big parties so champagne is probably out.
BUT I have been resurrecting a lot of old yeasts on a stirplate in the laundry - No wine yeasts, but I'm thinking something might have gone feral in there.

Time to wait till the missus goes to church and pressure clean and sanitize the begeebus out of it :lol:

Latest posts

Back