It Is Worth Getting My Chest Freezer Fixed?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peas_and_corn

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I cannot mash that
Reaction score
I have a chest freezer for my fermentation fridge, and it's not keeping my ferment cool. I believe that there is a leak, as I can hear the compressor working, but the coils at the back aren't getting hot- and of course the interior isn't getting cooler.

Is it worth getting a fridgie in to fix it? Around how much would it cost to fix?

Cheers,
Dave

2nd hand freezers around the 300+L are usually available for around $80 - $100, ring a fridgie and ask how much he charges for a call out.

Yeah, the way chest freezers have been turning up recently it's almost certainly cheaper to chuck it and get another one.

I have a 300 liter freezer that i was going to convert to a Kegorator. I was using it to CC lagers till i got holidays to do the job.

My sister in law is staying and kindly placed the cussions form the sofa bed she is sleeping on up against the side of the freezer, blocking the ventilation the the compressor.

It got really hot and while still humming and running, it no longer gets cold inside.

Not happy jan.

Now i have to buy another freezer. Cheaper to get another than to ing a tradie these days.

can buy a second hand unit for the cost of a quote to fix the old one.

cheers

Beer is like a currency over here, ask your fridgie if he assents to get payed by beer :lol:

*sigh*, I will probably have to bite the bullet and get another. The question is: how do I get rid of the old one? Would the council pick it up as hard refuse- doubtful, it's probably over their size limit.

Look in the paper for people wanting scrap metal. Usually you will find people willing to take it away for free.

Beer is like a currency over here, ask your fridgie if he assents to get payed by beer :lol:

Ahhhh yes beer is also a currency here in Aus but it dont always pay for the tradies!

We are few and far between these days and worth more than gold!

I love it. The oportunities are only limited by your imagination.

cheers

I've seen that, but it still requires a fridge, really. I'm not going to take the bar fridge out of my bedroom for this

Latest posts

Back