iSpindel Digital Hydrometer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok, I fired this up tonight and noticed that the Tilt sensor wasn't reporting any values. The temp sensor seemed to be checking in ok though. Noticed that I hadn't followed the instructions to remove the diode on the Wemos...did this and now nothing works :) This is mentioned in the German, English and some Dutch examples that I've found. However, removing this seems to disable the onboard USB from working, I no longer see a USB serial port appearing on my Mac.

What is the intention of removing this part? How do you flash the wemos now that it seems to have killed USB and seemingly Wifi also?

F

ok, I fired this up tonight and noticed that the Tilt sensor wasn't reporting any values. The temp sensor seemed to be checking in ok though. Noticed that I hadn't followed the instructions to remove the diode on the Wemos...did this and now nothing works :) This is mentioned in the German, English and some Dutch examples that I've found. However, removing this seems to disable the onboard USB from working, I no longer see a USB serial port appearing on my Mac.

What is the intention of removing this part? How do you flash the wemos now that it seems to have killed USB and seemingly Wifi also?

F
My 0.02:
1 - If the Temp sensor was working but not the Gyro sensor, it could be a faulty gyro sensor or bad soldering. The tip is to use a multimeter to check continuity at the pins.

2 - Here are some explanation from the creator of the iSpindel for the "why":
Nevertheless, don't forget to remove that very diode, otherwise you are powering the battery directly by 5V from Wemos and might lead to a nice fire in your house...

3 - After removing the LED, the only way to feed the Wemos is from battery. Charge the battery first, after finish keep feeding the Wemos from batteryb and connect the microUSB cable at the Wemos. It should work. If not, you probably killed the Wemos.

My 0.02:
1 - If the Temp sensor was working but not the Gyro sensor, it could be a faulty gyro sensor or bad soldering. The tip is to use a multimeter to check continuity at the pins.

2 - Here are some explanation from the creator of the iSpindel for the "why":

3 - After removing the LED, the only way to feed the Wemos is from battery. Charge the battery first, after finish keep feeding the Wemos from batteryb and connect the microUSB cable at the Wemos. It should work. If not, you probably killed the Wemos.

The original circuit has the battery connected to the diode connector....is this still the case with the PCB?

Cheers

F

I got mine in under 2 weeks. I don't think that's very slow for custom pcb.

I eventually got the PCB's but was about 4 weeks. Must have been some hold up ... oh well they arrived but were just thrown in a bag with no padding etc and were rattling around when they arrived. One had some minor damage but it isn't enough to make the PCB unusable.

Cheers

F

And still run a wire from the battery then? That would make sense :)

Cheers

F
If you use the Mikmonken board you don't have to use that orange wire from the original diagram since this job is done by the Mikmonken PCB.

Well just jumped on board and ordered all my parts! Just need the sled(s).

The waiting game begins! 30-45 days...

Hey farsonic,

Looks great!!!

I trust that this is from thingiverse?

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1996171/#files

Did you order drawer-combo-short-spring2

?

Rainy Sunday here today so decided to tackle the first iSpindle build. I have most of the components, minus the battery and weights.

View media item 10552View media item 10551
I had the sled printed online at https://www.3dhubs.com/service/3d-easy-printing and this was an amazingly great guy to deal with. Need to get the battery and the weights now.

What did I learn from this....piece the entire build together as much as possible on the desk before soldering! The build process needs to be in the right steps otherwise you will end up removing stuff and restarting. I ended up using some risers on the PCB to attach the mini-d1 which I had to trim down to get this all to fit nice and snug.

Overall, simple enough though :) I seem to be missing a photo of the final "stack" also...will look to upload soon.

Beer I have at the end is my Citra Smash (100% Maris), which is incredibly simple and everyone loves it!

F

Anyone order their PCB from here?

https://pcbs.io/search?query=MIKMONKEN

Looks easy to order from there...

Anyone have a spare they want to sell, or anyone else need one - I won't need 4x and the order is a set of 4!

$7.45 for a set of 4 - cheap as chips!

Anyone order their PCB from here?
Looks easy to order from there...
Anyone have a spare they want to sell, or anyone else need one - I won't need 4x and the order is a set of 4!
$7.45 for a set of 4 - cheap as chips!
Yes - delivery was just over 3 weeks.

If you're in Brisbane I can give you one if you want to pick it up but otherwise it's easy and cheap enough to source directly from the maker isn't it?

Last edited:
Yes - delivery was just over 3 weeks.

If you're in Brisbane I can give you one if you want to pick it up but otherwise it's easy and cheap enough to source directly from the maker isn't it?

Thanks for the offer Chris - but probably easier to source it from pcbs.io as you said. I didn't realise that shipping from there was free!? Incredible.

I've placed my order for 4x units so I may as well get the other parts to make 4x seeing as it's all so cheap!

If anyone is after the PCB for this project please PM me I stuffed up and order 4 sets of 4. So I have an extra 12 if needed. I can sell them for $3 AUD each and $1 for postage.
This is the boards I bought.

Last edited:
Just to make it clear for everyone. I bought 16 boards shipped here to Australia for 48.24 AUD. I am selling them at $3 each with postage at $1. I have 12 available.

Got my iSpindel working. I'm running through a fast ferment for calibration right now.

I ended up needing 30g of weight to make sure the iSpindel was at a good angle in tap water (my angle there was 23.32°).

Okay, Moad I found your post with your sled on dropbox (red)

Below is a comparison of the size of this versus DRAWER-COMBO-SHORT-SPRING2_STL (blue)

The one a lot of users had printed by Kerry from 3D hubs is significantly bigger.

What bottle did you guys find to work with this?

ispindel.PNG

Just to make it clear for everyone. I bought 16 boards shipped here to Australia for 48.24 AUD. I am selling them at $3 each with postage at $1. I have 12 available.
Hi everyone. Sorry I just did a recount of the boards i bought. I ended up getting 25 @ $48.48 So works out around $2 per board. I have some with spares from Aliexpress. Would have been good if I counted the boards before I posted on the forum. Anyway pm me if intrested. The extra spares will be $1extra. This includes the micro switch, the diode, the usb charging port and the two resistors.

Latest posts

Back