Isb November Brew Day

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looking forward to doing this as soon as i can clear some fridge space.
yes stu and his leaking bung hole brought us all some amusement. between that and his aspro beer.

Lots of fun yesterday - thanks very much to Croz for putting up with all of us!

Poor Stu, after seeing the crude screwing they did to stop your bung hole from leaking hot wort I'm not surprised that it's a bit leaky! :unsure:

Hi guys,
had a good time yesterday! Thanks for setting it up.

Was nice to meet more brewers and have a look at crozdog's massive brewing setup.

thanks
Bjorn
Was good to meet you too Bjorn. That mild was fantastic.

Top day yesterday!! :super:

Great to meet a few new faces as well as share the day with some old mates.

Thanks all for coming and sharing some fantastic beers! The quality was outstanding!! :beer:

I'd be interested to hear how everyones cubes turn out - should be a nice summer quaffer.

We just need to get stu to work out how to tighten his bung hole :lol:

Have to agree top day indeed. Wish I could have been able lend more of a hand with the brewing, but the boys in the shed seemed to have it all under control.

Not a worry Phil thanks to you for having us all over, and thanks to everyone for the top beers especially Barls for his Scottish beverages. Great to see so many new friends again and meet some new ones.

Mine is just going into the fermenter now. Thanks for the yeast Phil, forgot to leave you an extra fiver for it though sorry. I'll get you a beer next time we meet up.

looking forward to doing this as soon as i can clear some fridge space.
yes stu and his leaking bung hole brought us all some amusement. between that and his aspro beer.
Aspro beer?

Cheers Jason

just on heathen actually hes big and bearded and not me.

Was a good day, for sure.

Happy to get some positive feedback on my Kellogs Corn Ale and the Mild, as well!

I just asked Dave for the grains for a Dr Smurto's Golden Ale, want to try that on the weekend if I get time.
By then maybe my rice-lager is out of the fridge.

thanks again, hope I'll be invited back next time :)

That's what the heathens were calling my berliner weisse. :rolleyes:
Oh I see, I actually found it interesting and differnt and quite refreshing.

Now who could that be.....

Just pitched yeast, 1.046 @27.5 (1.048 @20) (now in water bucket and small ice pack to slowly bring down to temp, then on rotation of frozen juice bottles).

Might just be able to crack the week old taster at xmas.

Cheers Jason.

Thanks guys for letting me come over and have a look at how it's done. Alot to take in a couple of hours, but I learnt a bit. Hope to come to the next one if it's ok.

Cheers.

Farside

Stuster - Aspro beer? Might have to rename yourself Stu

astro_boy_image__1___medium_.jpg

I resemble that remark ! :D

It was BC who thought it tasted more like dispirin than aspros !

hehehe!!!

being a lightweight I need to mix in some light beers :lol:

Thanks Croz
A very mellow day with good beers and good brewers. Wish more days were like it.

Well I thought I'd test out the Proculture yeast, Pro-11 English London Ale, looks to be the same as 002, on my cube. I thought I'd go a fair way against my standard practise of late, firstly just dumped the wort into the fermenter, I usually aerate with a stone but dodged that step. I use stir plated starters on everything now but threw the contents of the canister straight in.
With the recent heat the wort was chilled down to around 14 deg. to start with and I thought it'd warm up over the course of 24 hours even with a frozen bottle or two and blanky but a day later it was still sitting at 14 so off with the blanky and over the next 36 hours it'd come up to 20 odd deg. and started to krausen up.
Quite impressed given that level of mistreatment!!! Will be interesting to see if it ferments out without any kicking.

what do guys reckon for dry hopping this beer, would 50gms of Amarillo do it, or 4 cascade hop plugs, I can't decide

what do guys reckon for dry hopping this beer, would 50gms of Amarillo do it, or 4 cascade hop plugs, I can't decide

I reckon go the amarillo, nice summer ale hop.

I will be doing mine as is, it is for the GF and she doesnt like incredibly hoppy beers or many for that matter. She recently discoverd she liked Little creatures Bright ale so I am hoping this one turns out similar, it smells nice out of the airlock after a week, I'll take a sample tonight and see how it is going.

Cheers
Jason

what about equal quantities? after all that's what all additions from 20 mins were....

Quite impressed given that level of mistreatment!!! Will be interesting to see if it ferments out without any kicking.

Mmmm, seems to have stalled, sitting @ 1030. Of course didn't measure it before hand. What was the OG??

Mmmm, seems to have stalled, sitting @ 1030. Of course didn't measure it before hand. What was the OG??
Mine was down to 1020 yesterday. Got a lil cold in the ice bath while away on the weekend. Gave it a rouse and a kick and it is of again finishing up.

mine was 1048 OG.

Cheers
Jason

Pretty much the same as Jason, I got an OG of 1049. Mine was down to 1018 a couple of days ago so I chucked in 20g Amarillo and 20g Cascade. Probably going to keg this on the weekend. Just in time for Christmas. :party:

What yeast is everyone using? I've used the Wyeast 1450 Denny's Favourite. A nice yeast though it doesn't like to flocculate. :rolleyes:

Pretty much the same as Jason, I got an OG of 1049. Mine was down to 1018 a couple of days ago so I chucked in 20g Amarillo and 20g Cascade. Probably going to keg this on the weekend. Just in time for Christmas. :party:

What yeast is everyone using? I've used the Wyeast 1450 Denny's Favourite. A nice yeast though it doesn't like to flocculate. :rolleyes:

Just some US-05 courtesy of Phil as my cube lid wasn't sealing and I had no yeast on hand, thanks heaps again Phil. Probably a very suitable yeast for the brew though. I will bottle sometime next week after I make my first APA attempt to chuck on the yeast cake.

Cheers
Jason.

Edit: Barls is using the Denny's too Stu, I don't know a thing about the yeast though to be honest. Will be interesting to compare the same beers and same yeast side by side, hops additions may differ though.

Back