Is your craft beer actually 'craft'? What the big brewers don&

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been lucky to have had 4 pines pale,esb and kolsh at the brewery in Manly, I rate them bloody good!
But as others have given their opinions I guess this proves that not everyone's tastes are the same.
Which goes to the topic title.? ..cheers..spog...

Parks said:
Magna is no longer made, might have to be a Mirage.
Still plenty of Magnas around, mostly clapped out, with nearly all of them in two specific locations:

1. Motor Finance Wizard's car lots
  2. Hillsong carpark.

Matilda bay is not a craft brewery?? What?!!!??

**** me, I thought it was one bloke and a two legged pony.

I don't see this as a bad thing. It demonstrates that craft beer was eating into the major players market share so they did something about it.

Similar thing happened with fair trade coffee. Once it got up to about 5% market share it was impacting the big players profit margin and they were forces to get on board.

Does it matter who owns matilda bay or James squire? They are still far better beers than VB or New and the increasing variety means your average punter is more likely to be exposed to a greater range of beers.

:icon_offtopic: tough crowd, this AHB.

I saw yesterday that Woolworths have brewed a barleywine and it's stocked in a lot of their BWS & Dans. It was selling for some outrageous price before xmas, but is now going for $8-$9 per 640ml. Mixed reports, but it's supposed to be ok. I'd call this good news.

contrarian said:
I don't see this as a bad thing. It demonstrates that craft beer was eating into the major players market share so they did something about it.

Similar thing happened with fair trade coffee. Once it got up to about 5% market share it was impacting the big players profit margin and they were forces to get on board.

Does it matter who owns matilda bay or James squire? They are still far better beers than VB or New and the increasing variety means your average punter is more likely to be exposed to a greater range of beers.
For sure.

Have Coopers 'sold out' now their stock is on the rise? Have their beers suddenly turned to garbage as a result? Does anybody actually believe the owners of 4 Pines or Matilda Bay would knock back the opportunity to go global for fear of no longer being the darlings of the local craftbrew scene and 'die hards'? **** off..

As Mitchel himself says -

"There are some great beers coming out of the stables [of the big brewers] that definitely satisfy the style-discovery and taste-discovery journey of consumers' love for craft beer. But the full scope of the heritage [component] is not entirely covered off by the big brewers.

At least he acknowledges the fact rather than beating the same old non sequitur drum of big breweries = shit beer. Boring? Perhaps, but there's a difference.

Liam_snorkel said:
:icon_offtopic: tough crowd, this AHB.

I saw yesterday that Woolworths have brewed a barleywine and it's stocked in a lot of their BWS & Dans. It was selling for some outrageous price before xmas, but is now going for $8-$9 per 640ml. Mixed reports, but it's supposed to be ok. I'd call this good news.
Unfortunately IMO it is a turd. I got given one for XMAS and then bought the other at less than half price before I had drunk the XMAS one.

Had one last weekend, had to force myself through it. Muddled malt profile, hot alcohol, lot of things that a good big beer doesn't have. Can't force myself to open the other one. YMMV.

Yob said:
:blink:

a well and truly debatable point. ;)
You'll get no debate from me, at least one front..

coopers-clear-beer-online-1343452683.jpg

i'll say right now, if i was a small brewery and looked to get more market share/popularity, but was offered $$$$$ to have it bought out; i'd surely consider it. i'd sell out for a decent wad of cash. then i could just homebrew whenever i wanted and i'd have the money for an amazing set up at home.

fletcher said:
i'll say right now, if i was a small brewery and looked to get more market share/popularity, but was offered $$$$$ to have it bought out; i'd surely consider it. i'd sell out for a decent wad of cash. then i could just homebrew whenever i wanted and i'd have the money for an amazing set up at home.
And enough money to not work, not have a mortgage and live comfortable for the rest of your life, minus the unknown amount of stress that comes with running your own business, I say it would be hard not to sell out and kick back.

From what I gather with the Byron pale, the guy still runs the brewpub, but he also gets royalties for the beer brewed at Newcastle. Best of both worlds, really- get the flexibility of running a small brewpub but also having an income

Back