Is your beer vegan?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave70 said:
Its a good idea, but what would we do with all the existing food animals?
Just imagine if we didn't eat them, there would be cattle, chickens and sheep everywhere you looked!
Roaming free.
Evolving.

Waiting..
cows with guns?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5s5qGg01nE

pcmfisher said:
Don't eat anything that your grandmother wouldn't recognise.
Bread and dripping anyone?

00393548.jpg

Airgead said:
I thought having seeds was part of the definition of a fruit.
Probably is. IIRC (and it was a while ago) i think the distinction was between a fruit with seeds like an apple or orange where eating the fruit left the seeds intact and thus with a chance at life, and legumes / brazil nuts and others where the edible portion is the seed such that consuming it denies it the chance at life

I didnt say it was sensible

Not For Horses said:
Thanks Dave for having my rant for me. I too have been reading a bit lately about fibre and its interaction with gut bacteria. Very interesting stuff.
I saw the Catalyst that talked about this recently & was fascinated. I've been making & eating lots if probiotic foods, but hadn't heard about this connection.

Lab-grown meat is interesting (if a little depressing, when you contemplate a completely artificial, inorganic future - plastic food, grown in plastic containers in plastic laboratories, wrapped in other plastic containers, and sent out to us for our enjoyment.... Soylent Green, anyone?) But there may be one or two roadblocks before we achieve this glorious meat-free future:

1) I haven't been keeping up but last time I read about this, it seemed the most meat-like artificial meat is cultured from cells taken from the body of a recently-slaughtered animal. Not something vegans would be happy with....

2) Cost of a cut of artificial meat: thousands of dollars, give or take. Cost of a cut of meat from an animal: let's say $10. This is not going to be a way to feed the world's poor anytime soon.

Blitzer said:
Is whirfloc vegan friendly?
Yep, it's Carrageenan from Red Marine Algae
AFAIK, Coldstream and Black Heart are the only breweries in Australia that use Isinglass (fish bladder) and even then it's only in their Pilsners and Pale Ales

By the by, I'm reminded of a story Tom Hodgkinson tells in his recent book Brave Old World - where he'd bought and raised a pig which he later killed and ate. Afterwards he received a visit from local government bureaucrats who took a rather dim view of the whole exercise - they informed him that in the EU (he's British), pigs could only be killed in government-mandated abattoirs.

That's right - far from having laws mandating against animal cruelty and factory farming, the EU virtually make animal cruelty and factory farming compulsory!

Other, closer-to-home examples come to mind from our o0wn experience with backyard chooks, but anyway, the take home message, I think, is.... vegans and animal lovers, the government probably ain't your friend!

Blind Dog said:
Probably is. IIRC (and it was a while ago) i think the distinction was between a fruit with seeds like an apple or orange where eating the fruit left the seeds intact and thus with a chance at life, and legumes / brazil nuts and others where the edible portion is the seed such that consuming it denies it the chance at life

I didnt say it was sensible
F me sideways. That is a weird one.

Did he plant all the seeds? Or by chucking them in the bin did he deny them a chance at life?

Apparently there are some fairly out there Buddhist sects that wear face masks to prevent accidentally inhaling insects and move really slowly and carefully while wearing special soft felt shoes to avoid accidentally squishing bugs. But even they eat rice.

Buddhist Extremists...they make there enemy die of old age and boredom to win the battle

TimT said:
Lab-grown meat is interesting (if a little depressing, when you contemplate a completely artificial, inorganic future - plastic food, grown in plastic containers in plastic laboratories, wrapped in other plastic containers, and sent out to us for our enjoyment....:
So McDonalds then

Airgead said:
F me sideways. That is a weird one.

Did he plant all the seeds? Or by chucking them in the bin did he deny them a chance at life?

Apparently there are some fairly out there Buddhist sects that wear face masks to prevent accidentally inhaling insects and move really slowly and carefully while wearing special soft felt shoes to avoid accidentally squishing bugs. But even they eat rice.
Actually Jain, not Buddhist.

I fund this convo hilarious and it rings too.
So do I find gluten free diets, purely meat diets, dairy free diets etc.

I choose to be vegetarian because of my belief in minimising taking advantage of those who can't defend themselves. No, I'm not about to start eating carnivorous meat.
A balanced diet is still necessary. Milk causes my sinuses to flare up if I already have them infected, I still try to eat dairy and start back on using milk in cooking as soon as I can on getting rid of the infected sinuses.
I really don't get the fad of frozen yogurts either, it contains uber truckloads of good bacteria that you simply kill off by freezing. Even worse are the stabilized sweet yogurt mini tubs.... rubbish.
People don't use grains and flour in cooking because it takes work to prepare, and then they claim gluten intolerance and buy expensive fibre extracts. A guy I knew who lived on junk food was starting to feel ill so he consulted someone, a doctor?! And bought an expensive bottle of powdered fibre. Needless, one slice of wholemeal bread has more fibre than the recommended dosage of that artificial crap.

The I only eat meat/fish crowd fits in nicely there too. Lazy.

Then there are the bloody fruitarians, loading up on fruit. Do you watch the massive hits of fructose you are ingesting? Only good are the vitamins and fibre and the body gets rid of excess of both. IMO, as long as it is low effort a diet will become a fad. You never find a fad composed of wholesome cooking involving a number of ingredients.

People are unhealthy because they are lazy, precious and downright dumb.

I have respect for all grain brewers, the words lazy or dumb doesn't enter that dictionary much.

practicalfool said:
Actually Jain, not Buddhist.

I choose to be vegetarian because of my belief in minimising taking advantage of those who can't defend themselves. No, I'm not about to start eating carnivorous meat.
Ahh yes. Jain. You are quite correct.

And some of those cows can be downright vicious. I'm claiming self defence (Seriously dude... ethical vegetarians - more power to you good sir. Its sanctimonious vegans and crazy fad diets that get right up me)

Only dietary advice worth listening to -

Eat food (actual food ie: something someone born before processed food would recognise)
Not too much
Mostly vegetables.

I really don't get the fad of frozen yogurts either, it contains uber truckloads of good bacteria that you simply kill off by freezing.

If there's an active bacteria culture freezing probably won't kill it but it'll knock it back a bit. Of course as frozen yoghurt is mostly mass produced stuff, and more about the sweet fruit they put in than the bacteria, it'll be targeted at people who (mostly) wouldn't want to think too much about the bacteria that goes into the process, and probably designed to get through stringent safety regulations - ie, the culture will either be pasteurised or a weak-as-piss lab variety designed to perform one or two runs of yoghurt culturing.

I don't get the "free range" argument...

An animal raised in overcrowded misery is going to be more grateful for its life to be ended than one has been given a range to roam and frolic and enjoy life in...
:ph34r:

Myself and the missus are along the lines of ethical omnivores. Just because you eat meat as part of your diet, doesnt make it cool to not give a shit about the animals wellbeing and life before it ends up as food. You can still show some respect to them, this also includes the manner in which they are killed. One of the reasons we havn't bought pork in quite some time is the fact of increasing rates they are slaughtered by being crammed in a pen and gassed to death...

moodgett said:
Myself and the missus are along the lines of ethical omnivores. Just because you eat meat as part of your diet, doesnt make it cool to not give a shit about the animals wellbeing and life before it ends up as food. You can still show some respect to them, this also includes the manner in which they are killed. One of the reasons we havn't bought pork in quite some time is the fact of increasing rates they are slaughtered by being crammed in a pen and gassed to death...
Actually, that depends.... certain forms of gassing are regarded as very humane. In particular oxygen depletion is regarded as being among the best.

Essentially (if done right) the oxygen is replaced by another gas gradually (over the course of a minute or so) and the animals lose consciousness very quietly and reliably with no awareness. Usually its displaced by nitrogen or sometimes co2.

They have done experiments on this on humans (not to the point of death obviously) as part of training for spaceflight and similar. Essentially everyone sits in a room wearing an oxygen mask. One of them has their o2 supply gradually switched out until they go unconscious and the others have to look for the signs. Without exception everyone who goes unconscious that way reports zero awareness that it was even happening. there was no indication that the o2 was getting low. one minute they were fine the next they were out like a light.

Give me that over being dragged up a ramp and having a bolt shot into my brain while I can smell the blood of those that went before me...

I treat other peoples diets like I do religions. I have no problem with them until they try and force their beliefs onto me.

The one bullshit diet I cant seem to get my head around is low fat diets. They wreak havoc on our bodies.

Our bodies run far more efficiently off fat then it does carbohydrate. The beauty of fat is it had more kilojoules per gram then carbohydrate or protein. Only issue is our body will prioritise on which fuel source it will use first. Toxin (alcohol), carbohydrate, fat, protein in that order.

So eating fat doesnt make you fat. The bigger picture is your other macronutrients. I think the universal view here is to eat real whole foods from each of the food groups. Or drink them.

Latest posts

Back