Is Wyeast 3864 Meant To Smell Funny?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

insane_rosenberg

Reaction score
G'Day all,

I'm hoping that someone out there who had used Wyeast 3864 can answer my question.

The reason I'm asking is that I'm currently fermenting a Belgian Golden Strong Ale using a La Fin Du Monde culture. The temp is at 27 and there's vigorous activity. But SWMBO asked me to move it from the laundry to the garage due to the smell. And it wasn't just a SWMBO whim, it really was quite pungent.

So does Wyeast 3864 smell? Or am I brewing some form of mutated monster?

G'Day all,

I'm hoping that someone out there who had used Wyeast 3864 can answer my question.

The reason I'm asking is that I'm currently fermenting a Belgian Golden Strong Ale using a La Fin Du Monde culture. The temp is at 27 and there's vigorous activity. But SWMBO asked me to move it from the laundry to the garage due to the smell. And it wasn't just a SWMBO whim, it really was quite pungent.

So does Wyeast 3864 smell? Or am I brewing some form of mutated monster?

Taste it, I usally find it easier to find faults in stronger beers due to the initial alcohol, wheresas I can let a std type beer get to keg and not pick up so much along the way. You must taste it to conquer the questioning of your culture :D

Had a taste, and there's definitely something there. I just cant work out how to describe it! A kind of vegetal/pineapple/solventy?

Not sure if it's going to improve or get worse as the beer goes on...

I did also have a whirlpooling fail and have a fair bit if Northern Brewer debris in the bottom of the fermenter.

I know the Wyeast recommendation is 18 to 27C for this yeast but from very recent experience I have fermented 2 beers using this yeast at 20C and they are loaded with the Belgian characteristics.
How sure are you that your 27C is actually 27C?

C&B
TDA

PS: This yeast is fast becoming a favourite :icon_drool2:

This yeast is brilliant. I had previously read that this yeast will chuck out some funky (bad funky) smells during fermentation, as well as stall about 80% through fermentation and will need to be transfered into secondary to get it going again. However, everyone that has said something about the bad smell has said that it doesn't carry into the finished beer.

I brewed a belgian red IPA with it and experienced nothing like that. Belgian IRA

I would have kept a sample of the yeast if I knew it was going to be this nice...

How sure are you that your 27C is actually 27C?

Coopers stick-on fermenter sure. I picked up my fermenting fridge last week but am a few weeks from buying the controller. It's cooled down a bit since I moved it to the shed.

I would have kept a sample of the yeast if I knew it was going to be this nice...

I think I'd be alot more relaxed if I had the Wyeast 'sanitised' version instead of my culture. Unless this brew turns out totally awesome I'll be buying some at the next seasonal release (please let there be one).

Latest posts

Back