Is this Lagering Vessel Ok to Use?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adrian078

Reaction score
Making my second lager. It's almost time to lager it. Last time I bottled then lagered but this time I want to batch lager it.

I was thinking of getting one of the bunnings water containers here.

I'm just a little worried about picking up any weird flavors from the plastic. Has anyone tried these containers or can you recommend something.

The reason I'm looking at these ones is that they're cheap when compared to the LHBS.

Exactly the same plastic as LHBS fermenters
They do have a little bit of an odour, just rinse it out with boiling water and bi carb soda
They're perfectly fine to use (most of us use them)

I have used the plastic cube type with the black or red lids and lagered beer in the cool room at work for up to 8 months, must have done about 10 batches that way. Its like opening up a Christmas present when it finally comes time to transfer to the keg Clear Liquid Gold!

I've been using these drums for making lager and have a couple of observations:

• They seem a bit leaky and not 100% airtight - which I imagine is fine for primary or secondary fermentation but maybe is an issue for long lagering periods?
  • They do not seem to have any impact on flavour
  • They're made of opaque plastic so you can't have a look at what's going on inside

Latest posts

Back