Is This A Hop Vine? Chinook?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rendo

WTF
Reaction score
Guys,

Is this a hop vine? The one on the right!

The one on the left is POR and looks like all the other pics of POR on the web/AHB.....BUT.....is this thing on the right a hop vine? Chinook? The rhizome sure looked like a hop vine. I very generous brewer from AHB gave the POR and "Chinook"(the one on the right) to me for nix. Thank You...

But it looks so wierd/different...

I am hoping someone can set the confusion straight....PLEASE

Rendo

hop_vine1.JPGhop_vine2.JPG
hop_vine3.JPG

the one on the bottom or the first pic (left on second and right on third) looks like my chinook the thing with the massive leaves doesnt look a hop at all dunno if thats the one you mean?

Edit the other thing looks like a elephant leave plant (not sure the proper name)

The big leaves look like a young cucumber/pumpkin vine to me. The smaller leaves look like pics of hops I have seen.(I don't grow hops so not 100% sure)
Cheers
Nige

Yep, Cucurbitaceae. Pumpkin, squash, cucumber, one of them. Nice going, pretty early to have it looking so healthy this time of the season, give it some lovin'.

Are you talking about the tiny sprout (last pic, on the right)? Or are you talking abot the biggest plant in the pic? The tiny sprout looks like a hop plant to me. The biggest plant in the pic is not a hop.

If i were you i would separate the rhizomes so that they have a pot each, and remove the pumpkin/zuchinni. Hops need alot of root space, plus if they're in the same pot you're likely to get them mixed up, well i would anyway. If you keep all those plants in the same pot they will compete with each other for nutrients, and by the look of that pumpkin, it will win!

You have two plants in that pot.

One appears to be a hop plant (the small darker green leaves)
The other plant is some type of cucumber or pumpkin - the light green large sized leaves (maybe if you used compost in the pot that's how it got there).

You should be able to pull out the pumpkin/cucumber easily and not hurt the hop plant, and when you do you'll notice that it's not attached to the rhizome.

Hi All,

Yes I am talking about the elephant ear looking one, that big whacko outta place one.

Yes...zucchini lager anyone, pumpkin hops maybe?

Thanks wolfy, ekul, everyone...f#$k!! now I have to put the bugger out. I am betting it was compost that put it there. Shit! I will let u know how the removal goes and if indeed it isnt attached to the rhizome.

Are u SURE it aint hops :) ??!?!? :)

Rendo

You have two plants in that pot.

One appears to be a hop plant (the small darker green leaves)
The other plant is some type of cucumber or pumpkin - the light green large sized leaves (maybe if you used compost in the pot that's how it got there).

You should be able to pull out the pumpkin/cucumber easily and not hurt the hop plant, and when you do you'll notice that it's not attached to the rhizome.

Its def not hops. And you should separate the other two hops before its too late. Put them in nice big pots.

I am not experienced wth hops at all (this is my first year) but i am very experienced with other plants. The opposite may be true, but from my experience root systems that look hop root systems don't transplant very well at all so you should do it as soon as possible.

Looks like you are growing some dope next to a cumcumber to me!? haha! ;)
Rip ya cucumber out and if you really want to grow ya other thing in a pot make sure the pot is at least 50cm wide, or put it in the ground.
Have fun! :)
You might have to wait untill your "hop plant" starts to flower, then send some of the flowers to an expert grower here on AHB so they can smoke them then tell you what breed it is! ;)

Rip out my cucumber hey?......well, that isnt the first time I have been told to do that...but usually not by a bloke. Sorry AJ.

Will send updates guys, thanks so much, this site is too good!

Rendo

AJ...are u volunteering as the expert smoker/grower here on AHB? :)

Looks like you are growing some dope next to a cumcumber to me!? haha! ;)
Rip ya cucumber out and if you really want to grow ya other thing in a pot make sure the pot is at least 50cm wide, or put it in the ground.
Have fun! :)
You might have to wait untill your "hop plant" starts to flower, then send some of the flowers to an expert grower here on AHB so they can smoke them then tell you what breed it is! ;)

I dont know anything about anything!
All i know is i have some tomato plants you can eat smoke and make beer with!

Guys,

Is this a hop vine? The one on the right!

The one on the left is POR and looks like all the other pics of POR on the web/AHB.....BUT.....is this thing on the right a hop vine? Chinook? The rhizome sure looked like a hop vine. I very generous brewer from AHB gave the POR and "Chinook"(the one on the right) to me for nix. Thank You...

But it looks so wierd/different...

Rendo

View attachment 41222View attachment 41223
View attachment 41224

all my hops look pretty much the same so i cant tell them apart except for the labels I put on them so I would seperate your POR and Chinook ASAP the other is a curcubit of some sort PIOQ before it takes over :)

Hi All,

OKAY...so first thing this morning I got up, headed straight for the backyard. Set upon the cucumber/pumpkin/elephatman in my hops pot and pulled it out.

As predicted it was not attached to a rhizome, the roots were still very small, thankfully. I couldnt see the offending seed, eg pumpkin, cucumber etc...anyway...whatever it is, it is now GOORRRNE.

Thanks All

Rendo

Shee-it, I thought you was just yankin everyones chain, but you were serious!
No offence intended; thanks for a good laugh. :lol:

Hahaha, none taken, yep i was serious....it didnt look like hops, but I thought...well...it might be, i have never grown hops before and this plant popped up at the same time as the POR and initially it looked similar, then got progressively different...very different :)

Wanted to check with the guys here before taking any action. I thought I would get an answer...and I did :) zucchini lager....Would be disasterous if it really was hops and I didnt check.

I just gave my hops a dose of Thrive liquid fertiliser, I am wondering what other people use...I guess the hop vine grows so vigourously they really dont need fertiliser, but it cant hurt. Once i am out of thrive (High N fertiliser) I might go to a more balanced (NPK) fertiliser like fish emulsion

maybe I should start a thread, will do some searching first.

Rendo

Shee-it, I thought you was just yankin everyones chain, but you were serious!
No offence intended; thanks for a good laugh. :lol:

Rendo has made a good point about fertiliser because SWMBO's Dad made a comment to me on the weekend in regards to fertiliser. He said surely what you feed them is going to affect the flavour of the cones and the alpha acid content etc.
He asked what fertiliser I was using on my hops. I said I have put on them a balanced NPK ratio slow release fertiliser. He said with some cropping plants that high nitrogen fertilisers can make them run and get woody but that the addition of Potassium (i.e. some potash) is good for developing larger amounts of robust heads/fruiting bodies.
What say you guys that know something about the topic of hop nutrient requirements?

Latest posts

Back