Is The Sg Low Enough :(

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morebeer4me

Reaction score
After some advice please, Brew no 2. is a Cascade Amber Ale from the tin with 1 kg of brew booster from local HBS
SG before yeast was added was 1.040, after a day some nice bubbles etc. on day 4-5 this then stopped. Day 7 and Sg
was down to 1.010 and now day 10 SG is still 1.010. According to the instructions it should be about 1.005 by now and it suggests not
bottling untill it is under at least 1.006.

Is the higher SG due to the booster ?, or do I have to wait longer for SG to Drop. ?

Anyway love my Beer still drinking James Squire Amber Ale (because i need the stubbies) any excuse will do !!!.

I keep checking brew no 1 in the fermenting fridge every day (still looks the same, will try one on Saturday, that will be 2 weeks in the bottle)

This waiting Sux

Cheers

Yeah, I reckon she's done. If booster has malt in it, it would bump up the FG, if it hasn't, I hope you didn't pay more than a couple of bucks. I recomend that you buy your own malt and dex and mix em together so you know what goes into your brew as opposed to just "brew no6". Might save you a couple of bucks in the long run.

This waiting Sux

But in the end itis worth it!

Welcome to AHB. It doesn't seem that long ago that I was just like you ... onto my second brew & wishing the whole process was quicker ... just hangin out for that first batch to mature. Hang in there mate ... you will find a natural cycle that suits you, and before too long you will have cold beer at the ready anytime you want :)

As GDAH said, the booster most likely has malt in it, which isn't 100% fermentable, so you'll have a little more body left in the brew. If you're going by the instructions on the Cascade tin they most likely assume you're just adding 1kg of sugar, in which case you would expect an FG that low. But with out knowing exactly what's in the booster it's hard to say what the FG should be, but if it were my brew I'd be happy to bottle at 1.010 using most "enhancers".
+1 for buying your own malt and dex seperatly and mixing to taste, those brew boosters are a bit of a rip off

Thanks for your advice, will bottle on the weekend, I'm sure the lhbs said the booster had some maltIn it. next visit I'll ask how much and record for future changes if needed, thanks again, checked brew no 1 bottles again this morning, there still brown :D

Back