Is Stout Actually Good For You? How?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds more like haematomacrosis to me

I'd get a medico check it out.

LOL :lol: Thanks Doctor. I reckon I'll be fine. Was 13 years ago and have given blood a couple times a year ever since. Iron levels have never been that high since. More proof of Guinness magic.

When i did a tour of the Guinness factory in Oreland a few years ago, the Tour Guide said Guinness contains lots of iron and all B group vitamins. Not sure of the accuracy of this tho.

Apparently there are some studies that show that anti-oxidants found in Guinness slow down the deposit of cholesterol on artery walls, so I would imagine that it applies for other stouts as well - nothing related to the supposed iron content though... Guiness and Health Also interesting to note the use of Isinglass in Guinness for fining - would have thought being a big commercial beer, it would be filtered and thus not need fining...

I don't believe the myths about the iron content though, as it is just grain, hops, yeast and water... I doubt the roasting of the barley magically increases its iron content somehow, add to that, that only a small portion of the grist is the roasted malts, etc.

Makes you wonder though, if the anti-oxidants are derived from the malt, hops or yeast, and if other styles of beer have similar benefits...

All beer is good for you unless it's shit beer or preservative laden.

We all know this. Brewing a stout tomorrow to stave off any winter flus

All beer is good for you unless it's shit beer or preservative laden.

We all know this. Brewing a stout tomorrow to stave off any winter flus

Any chance of you parting with the recipe Manticle?

I would think that anything with that much charred carbohydrate in it would be pretty bloody carcinogenic.

What's the rate of arse cancer in Ireland? That stuff makes me shit black.

If Stout is good for you I'm Jenny Craig.

Decent question, being that burned carbs = a carsenogen, http://www.blurtit.com/q378124.html, is stout more likely to give you cancer?

Or is my 7% ginger beer making my head fussY..

Thanks mate,
That's a shit load of Roast Barley, is that where the goodness lies?
Interesting to see which yeast you go for. I've noticed my Irish Ale yeast samples taken from my 3 litre starter have started to clear up nicely after around 3 weeks in the fridge. Something I guess you wouldn't notice in a big black stout is yeast in suspension, which leads me to wonder how much goodness comes from that?

Edit - I hate it when I make spelling misteaks

The grist is basically the same as my cream stout found in the recipe db. The 500g of roast barley seems to work very well in the sweet version so I'm hoping it carries its own in the oat version. Following that I'll try a dry version.

I've made this stout with several different yeasts (Whitbread 1099 is a favourite) and earlier extract versions with s04 and us05. The yeast is probably less consequential with this kind of style but I'm still playing around.

I've got a starter going with the irish ale because that's what I had on hand (second gen) but I've also got another brew with london ale III going which is a good top cropper. If the starter seems wonky in any way, I'll scoop from one into the other (done that before with great results using 1007).

I think you still notice too much yeast in suspension no matter how dark the brew - hence I treat each brew the same and try and settle out as much as I can before bottling.

I don't believe the myths about the iron content though, as it is just grain, hops, yeast and water... I doubt the roasting of the barley magically increases its iron content somehow, add to that, that only a small portion of the grist is the roasted malts, etc.

Perhaps the iron is from the local water in Dublin?

Back