Is Primary Fermentation In Cubes Ok?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captaincleanoff

Kings Cross Brewery
Reaction score
I have just set up a fridge with temperature control. The only way I can fit my planned 52l batches into the frigde for primary is with 2 cubes.

If i drill a hole and fit the airlock, does anyone see any problems with doing this?

I have just set up a fridge with temperature control. The only way I can fit my planned 52l batches into the frigde for primary is with 2 cubes.

If i drill a hole and fit the airlock, does anyone see any problems with doing this?

Sorry, I don't mean to hyjack the thread, but what are these cubes peole are tlaking about? How much do they hold, and where do you get them from?
The reason I'm asking is I need a means of storage for post-fermented beer, to stick in the fridge ready to be kegged.

Should be fine shouldnt it? Will probably spew out the top alot easyer than a fermenter and be kinda hard to clean. But nothing a napisan and boiling hot water wont fix

Sorry, I don't mean to hyjack the thread, but what are these cubes peole are tlaking about? How much do they hold, and where do you get them from?
The reason I'm asking is I need a means of storage for post-fermented beer, to stick in the fridge ready to be kegged.

Around $20 from BigW or bunnings. just have to make sure its food grade

If there's anyone in Brisbane after cubes, I strongly suggest here as they have 20L cubes on special (and have been for months) for $4 plus GST. A cap will set you back less than a buck. Much better value than $20. I've got six of the suckers.

Nothing particularly special about a fermenter that makes it a fermenter. They started life as plain old water barrels that some bright spark drilled a hole in the top of and stuck in an airlock. Cubes are food grade plastic, and so long as you've got enough headspace, it should be fine.

Fit a length of hose through the cap (blow off tube) and put the other end of it/them into a bottle of water in the fridge as an airlock, lots of brewers do this.

For those looking for Cubes or Jerrys try Big W around $19 make sure you get 25L blue'ish food grade containers, square ones (Cubes) or narrow ones (Jerry's, resembling the Jerry Can shape), all the same, depends which best suits your fridge space. Good for no chilling storage too, but watch out for low flying Darren's :lol:

Screwy

For those looking for Cubes or Jerrys try Big W around $19 make sure you get 25L blue'ish food grade containers, square ones (Cubes) or narrow ones (Jerry's, resembling the Jerry Can shape), all the same, depends which best suits your fridge space. Good for no chilling storage too, but watch out for low flying Darren's :lol:

Screwy

Hey Screwie,

Whilst you are being the true screwtop idiot, perhaps you could describe how a new brewer would identify a heat resistent, food grade, blueish container that would be suitable for high-temperature cooling of wort?? Are all blue containers at BigW food grade and heat resistent??

cheers

Darren

Hey Screwie,

Whilst you are being the true screwtop idiot, perhaps you could describe how a new brewer would identify a heat resistent, food grade, blueish container that would be suitable for high-temperature cooling of wort?? Are all blue containers at BigW food grade and heat resistent??

cheers

Darren

With his eyes?

Hey Screwie,

cheers

Darren

Sorry Das o'l germophobe, it's the beer, hic :lol:

Come on Screwie,

Answer the question. Perhaps you are suggesting that all blue containers are safe?

cheers

darren

Screwtop,

As I have always pointed out. There are many problems with no-chill. I am a microbiologist so I do need to point out the obvious issues about spoilage beer organisms.

I am assuming that you are a plastic chemist and are also looking out for your fellow homebrewer with your cube suggestions??

If not, perhaps you should be a little less vocal or offer something a tad more constructive!!

cheers

Darren

Allright girls. Knock it off.

Yes you can ferment in cubes.

I use the tall 20l cubes as I can fit 2 at a time in my ferment fridge.

They actually hold about 23L but you need some headspace and so I don't put anymore than 20L in them.

When it comes time to clean them, a good soak with hot water and Napisan removes all the crud.

Easy!

Allright girls. Knock it off.

Yes you can ferment in cubes.

I use the tall 20l cubes as I can fit 2 at a time in my ferment fridge.

They actually hold about 23L but you need some headspace and so I don't put anymore than 20L in them.

When it comes time to clean them, a good soak with hot water and Napisan removes all the crud.

Easy!
+1 I have fermented in a 20L blue jerry successfully (note I use a cfc so no no-chill botulism for me thanks) the jerry I bough came with a plastic pourer spout which I successfully adapted a blow off tube to using a rubber bung and some clear tube. The beer was a hefeweizen and was a rather vigorous ferment to say the least as there was yeast blowing out into the collection jar I had setup. Cleanup was reasonably painless just a hose out then fill with hot water and napisan then soak for a day or two.

The cubes are made from the same plastic as your coopers or tooheys plastic fermenter. Only difference is the shape.

Latest posts

Back