Is My Gear Still Good?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wimbymoonshine

Reaction score
Hey All,

Ive been out of action for a couple of months for a multitude of reasons. I have two fermenters which i want to start using to brew again but wondering if they were ok still. This is how i left them:

Fermenter 1 - Left a brew in there from primary for about 4 months without touching it. Recently just tipped it out and sanitised it with iodophor and it is still a little stained but seems clean?

Fermenter 2 - Left a 'napisan' based sanitising solution in there for 4 months with the lid on. Recently just washed it out with water and it smells a little napisan-y but not over the top or anything.

Question is, are these still ok to use? I know things leach in to plastics. Do i need to do anything before using them again?

Cheers!
:beer:

After soak and rinse allow them to dry.
I'd say, smell them!
If you still are not sure, add some water into them and leave over night and see if you can taste it in the water.
They ought to be right though,

clean with napisan give agood clean, sanitise with idophor and then rinse with boiling water
should be fine give them a smell when the boiling water is in there it will give you an indication of whats going on
if it smells clean should be fine

they should be ok, maybe replace the taps & give the threads a good scrub, give the napisany one a hit with boiling water and let it soak, just practice good sanitation such as Starsan or similar.

Cheers
Yardy

Fermenter 1, give it an overnight soak with napisan, rinse and then use your usual no rinse sanitiser and it should be right to go.

Like has been said, pull everything apart, clean the threads, grommets, orings and airlocks. If it is a plain drum tap, it may be time for a new one.

Fermenter 2, napisan often leaves a residual aroma, usually a final hot water rinse gets rid of this septic style aroma. I have left a fermenter full of napisan for a week and it was ok. But after a 4 month soak, I don't know. Follow Matti's excellent suggestion of a good clean, hot water rinse, then refill with plain water, leave it sit overnight and give it the taste test. If there is a problem, it may come good with a week soaking with a few changes of plain water.

The best strategy for any storage is to clean thoroughly, rinse, air dry and store dry.

Back