Is My Fermenter Too Cold

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adraine

Reaction score
hey guys i have put a batch down with my new temp controller and have found my fridge this morn still cooling and my wort temp down around 12 deg celcius.
hwve i buggered it or will it be ok when the temp comes back up.
I am brewing a golden ale and put the yeast in around 24 deg.

please help. :eek:

hey guys i have put a batch down with my new temp controller and have found my fridge this morn still cooling and my wort temp down around 12 deg celcius.
hwve i buggered it or will it be ok when the temp comes back up.
I am brewing a golden ale and put the yeast in around 24 deg.

please help. :eek:

Bring it back up to 19-20 degrees and it should come good within 24 hours or so.

For some advice on setting up your temperature controler check out this thread: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...st&p=411990

Bring it back up to 19-20 degrees and it should come good within 24 hours or so.

will the beer still have the same characteristics?
i put alot of time into this brew and id hate to have it spoiled.

will the beer still have the same characteristics?
i put alot of time into this brew and id hate to have it spoiled.

Should be perfectly fine cooling down the brew just slows the yeast down until it goes dormant.
It is high temperatures that cause the generation of bad tasting and headache inducing alcohol components.

When it gets back to 18-20C the yeast should kick back in. You may have to gently rock the fermenter a bit to give it a helping hand.

Thats great.

I have turned off the fridge and opened the door to let i come back up to temp which will be fine as its only 21 deg here today.
I will have to spend more time setting up my temp controller before i put the next brew down.
The only issue i have is that i get so excited and want to try out my new toys.
Its just like being a little kid again.

Should be perfectly fine cooling down the brew just slows the yeast down until it goes dormant.
It is high temperatures that cause the generation of bad tasting and headache inducing alcohol components.

When it gets back to 18-20C the yeast should kick back in. You may have to gently rock the fermenter a bit to give it a helping hand.

+1.

I am sure it shall turn out well!

Keep a log of the settings so you know what a given input will provide in the way of results.

Sounds like you've got the perfect conditions for a lager there, perhaps have a shot at one for your next batch.

Cheers - boingk

Keep a log of the settings so you know what a given input will provide in the way of results.

Sounds like you've got the perfect conditions for a lager there, perhaps have a shot at one for your next batch.

Cheers - boingk

Yeah ive just started a book logging all the brews i do so ill work out the fridge temp vs wort temp when this batch is racked.
As for largers im just trying to get the basics down pat first. then i may try a lager before i move on to extracts

Back