Is My Brew Infected Or Has It Evolved

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

head

Reaction score
ok guys, have a small problem I noticed this arvo. Was preparing to bottle/keg and noticed something disturbing. One of my fermenters had this white/fluffy/bubbly........STUFF sitting on top of the brew. The smell was not too feral, just a little musty. The other fermenter looked fine. Did a taste test, tasted ok with no off notes so kegged it quick to get it out of the road. However, what has happened to the other fermenter? They are both the same brew split into 2 30L fermenters for secondary. The brew was at the end of it's secondary, prob 2 weeks too long but did not think it would make a difference. What has happened here, did my brew visit a red light district for beer and get a nasty infection or has it evolved?

Here are the happy snaps.
WARNING: Some may find the following images disturbing.

P1040303a.jpg

P1040304a.jpg

P1040305a.jpg

Nothing a two week course of penicillin wont clear up :unsure:

Pumpy :)

It's evolved to a higher life-form all right. Keep it cold and drink it quickly.

I have never seen anything like that in beer.

I have seen it many times in sherry and looks a bit like flor yeast used to make sherry. What does the top layer of beer taste like. In wine flor yeast gives a distinctive green apple smell.

It is just my guess.

Kirk

that's what i refer to as "growing a carpet"
no more to see here - down the drain...

One thing is certain: it's not normal and I wouldn't drink it.

What you do with it is at your own risk!

They are some cool photos!
Shame about the loss, but still cool none the less :)

ok guys, have a small problem I noticed this arvo. Was preparing to bottle/keg and noticed something disturbing. One of my fermenters had this white/fluffy/bubbly........STUFF sitting on top of the brew. The smell was not too feral, just a little musty. The other fermenter looked fine. Did a taste test, tasted ok with no off notes so kegged it quick to get it out of the road. However, what has happened to the other fermenter? They are both the same brew split into 2 30L fermenters for secondary. The brew was at the end of it's secondary, prob 2 weeks too long but did not think it would make a difference. What has happened here, did my brew visit a red light district for beer and get a nasty infection or has it evolved?
Here are the happy snaps.
WARNING: Some may find the following images disturbing.
View attachment 10855

View attachment 10856

View attachment 10857
hi, is the beer from a can of extract?
i
the mould does look to be from a sanitising problem, and what saniitiser did you use in the fermenter?

cheers alan

Yuk! :blink:

Tip that over the next doors fence ;)

Batz

Thats an impressive looking pellicle!

Bottle it and give it to me, nice floret/pellicle, yeasty looking bug, not stirated and slimy/clingy looking like Aceto. Bet the beer below it tastes ok.

:blink: Crikey!

Whatever it is, its not supposed to be in beer. That one would get a serious pouring onto the garden from me.

Thats What I have had a couple of times in the last lot of brews I have been doing, After it stops fermenting and is left for a week or 2 in secondary it gets that crap on top.

Dang. Done a couple of hundred brews and never seen anything like that.
Where do you ferment (ie. keep the fermenters) ?

Beers,
Doc

They are great pics. What is the magnification of the "bubble" pictures??

Did the bubbles burst or stay like that??

If they are 1/1 still captures then yes, your beer has evolved!!

Donot go to bed with that in the house.

cheers

Darren

ok, the recipe........no reflection on GMK for this, but it was the GMK ginger beer. I didn't "Dry Ginger" with fresh ginger at all as was suggested as an option in the recipe, just left any ginger remnants that happened to progress from primary to secondary stay in secondary. The Sterilising component is Gro plus(I think) a hydrogen peroxide solution. Always cop a workout on my fingers every time I use the stuff, so figure must kill a few things. Like chilli, you know when you have it on your fingers. Just thought it strange that it attacked one fermenter in secondary and not both.

Cheers,
Head.............

Could be an infection in that particular secondary vessel, then.

While we're ogling over infection photos, here's one I prepared earlier:

infection.jpg

Oh, and for those out there that commented on the quality of the photographs.......The wifeage took them while chuckling. Please note the chuckling stopped when I asked her to be the second taste tester for the second fermenter that looked and tasted ok. She was a little dubious :eek: Heh Heh Heh

Back