Is It Possible To Cheap And Easily Keg Beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltedhopalong

Reaction score
Quick question, as I have never gone anywhere near kegging at this stage.

I wanna keep costs low, really low. Can I buy a keg and naturally carbonate it? What else would I need? a gun and a bit of beer line????

Thanks Johnno. I'm thinking long term storage, and I'm worried if I use a cube, it may go flat after a while.

You can naturally carbonate in a keg, but you still need some way to dispense the beer. The beer needs to be forced out of the keg under pressure. You can get away with a sodastream bottle and standard regulator, which would be cheaper than a large bottle in the short term. You also need a fridge to cool your keg.

For a year or so I kegged using a 4 US gallon catalyst pot scrounged off a Bullet fibreglass gun, a pluto that cost $7.00 from a swap meet and carbonated in the keg. To get the beer out, I spent $5.00 on an old soda syphon (swapmeet again), removed the charging valve and fitted it to the catalyst pot (keg) and used the little CO2 bulbs for the gas. The trouble is those things cost over a buck each and 4 or 5 were needed to empty the keg. The point I'm making is that if you keep your eyes open and scrounge, it can cost you bugger all to get started.
There is another big drawback. You will love the keg and come to hate the endless drudgery associated with bottling, so one day armed with about $1200.00, you will set yourself up properly.

Back