Is Dextrose Okay In Yeast Starters

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Sam

Glad someone caught the implication
Actually it came up in an online study group, one of the guys worked a lab at an extract makers and he spent a lot of time sticking wort samples into an HPLC to check exactly that (the sugar to dextrin ratios). Not exactly something I've gone looking for as I make my own sugar to dextrin ratios but it makes you think, Maybe I should do some more digging. I suspect the information we would find most useful will be propriety and hard to get a hold of.

MHB

yo, sorry for the silly question, but would it be alright to steep some grains to get some wort for the starter? (i have munich and bb ale)

i only have dextrose and now i know i cant use that

yo, sorry for the silly question, but would it be alright to steep some grains to get some wort for the starter? (i have munich and bb ale)

i only have dextrose and now i know i cant use that

You'd need to mash the grains. But do you live in the middle of nowhere/are you broke? A 500 gram bag of LDME isn't all that expensive.

ah ok.

well i was planning on doing it tonight after i drink the beer and the kmart thats close by is shut. how quickly does the yeast thats left in the bottle die off? and whatd be the best way to store it until i can culture it?

i COULD just drink the beer after i get the ldme, but i dont think thats much of a fair option really.

its late and i didnt read the whole thread buy i asume you are AG?

If you are.... here is what i do for free starters.

After i finnish sparging, there is still a good bit of liquid held up in the malt. I leave the tap open and let this slowly dribble into a pot while i boil the brew. I usually get 2 liters form a 20 odd liter batch and 4 to 5 from a 50 liter brew.

I pour this..... unboiled into a 2 liter bottle (empty vinigar bottles are best) and freeze it. Simply thore out and boil till you get about 1.035 graviry and you have yourself an AG starter.

if you want to collect it faster... sparge with an extra couple liters and when you have your volume in the kettle..... start collecting for your future starters.

I used to put all this in the bin with the grain........ i no longer need to buy malt extract for starters and please dont use dex to grow your yeast.

cheers

Wish i had found this post 1hr ago. I ran out of DME and yeast on my last brew and haven't had a chance to get to the brew shop,so I started a starter using washed yeast from an old brew and some dextrose I had.
Total rookie mistake ad lest i hadn't started the brew

Latest posts

Back