Is A 25l Esky Big Enough

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty

Reaction score
Was just wondering since its been ages since I have done AG brewing. Will a 25L esky be big enough for a normal 23L brew?

I might be totally wrong here but for a 23L brew you would need around 4.5kg of grain and at 3-4L/kg for the mash then it would do it easily.
But if you ever want to do a double batch it wouldnt be big enough.

Like I said I may be wrong and I want to know myself as I am thinking of going with a mash tun.

I"ve used a 25L esky in the past and yes for an average grain bill of 4.5 - 5.0 kg it was fine.
If you batch sparge and find you are struggling for room do 2 separate batch sparges.

Cheers,
BB

Yeah will be fine for 23L batches.
I upgraded from a 20L home made tun to a 35L about 2 years ago. In that time I think I've utilised the extra space maybe twice.

I use a 25 litre cooler, and it is fine for a grain bill up to about 5.5 kg, for a 23 litre batch.
Anymore than that, and it is a struggle.

I use a manifold, but batch sparge, with 2 sparges after the initial runoff.
Mash efficiency is usually around 90+%, so it works fine.

A couple of times I tried to do a weizenbock with 7 kg of grains and an estimated OG of around 1.070, but I ended up with a horrible stuck mash, having to split the mash into two lots to extract the wort, and my efficiency suffered horribly.

Great, I already drilled the hole and attached the tap so was kind of commited lol.

Thanks guys

Latest posts

Back