Is 12l Pot Big Enough For Extract Brewing?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a 6L pot and do 5L boils, no problem just have to make sure you use the right amount of LDME for hop utilisation and all is well. I usually try to to have the gravity of my boils about 1040-1050 and I measure that with a refractometer on the fly. They are a great peice of gear maybe you should look into getting one of those if you are going to go further with your brewing, got mine from the sponsors site wasn't that expensive for the amount of use i've got out of it.

I use a 6L pot and do 5L boils, no problem just have to make sure you use the right amount of LDME for hop utilisation and all is well. I usually try to to have the gravity of my boils about 1040-1050 and I measure that with a refractometer on the fly. They are a great peice of gear maybe you should look into getting one of those if you are going to go further with your brewing, got mine from the sponsors site wasn't that expensive for the amount of use i've got out of it.
One thing I'm still wondering about, (and I've asked this already in post #16 of this topic), is why do extract brewers do a large pot boil if all you need is to boil a small amount for the hop additions? Couldn't you even do a really small boil of say 2L and do your hop additions to that and just mix the bulk of the extract in boiling water at the end?

Back