Iron House Brewery Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim F

Reaction score
I'm on hols in tassy this week and made it to Iron House brewery to sample their beers. All pretty decent really, some more than others. I think my favourite was their lager. The girl at the bar described it as an aussie lager but I think it's better than that ;)

Moderate bitterness, quite a deep gold/light copper colour and although it's malt driven there was a prominent hop flavour and aroma - she told me they use Galaxy. The web site says they use Australian and German malts so reading between the lines I'm wondering if it is something like pilsener malt plus a bit of munich? I liked this enough that I'm going to have a crack at a clone :icon_cheers:

The wheat beer is good but not that much fruitiness to it and the porter is good but a little too much sweetness for me without the bitterness to balance.

They also had on tap an IPA which she said used a new experimental/unnamed hop. I wasn't bowled over by the hop flavour but it was quite clean with a bit of pine resin, not quite a fruity type hop but not quite noble either...

I was driving around Tassie this time last year, and we stayed a bicheno for a week. The miserable weather was kept at bay with more than a few sixers of the iron house brewery beer. I liked the wheat beer in the bottle, but wasn't great on tap. The lager (aussie) was excellent, and the porter was too sweet, you're on the money there. I tried the pilsner - and it was solid, but nothing to write home about.

The food at the brewery was good too!

I found both the lager and the pale to be quite sour on the back of the palate. Alright in the pale with the citrusy hops but not great in the lager.

Latest posts

Back