Iron Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woolworths main interest in the pub game was probably more about pokie revenue bolstering their profits.

Which is disgusting, considering how the retail supermarket wing loves to promote themselves as pro-family.

Speedie, while I thank you for introducing this comp to the forum, the rest of your contributions are just trouble-making rubbish.

They're buying breweries to control pokies? Madness.

They're buying breweries to control pokies? Madness.

Don't know why I bother responding to you, but more for the interest of other members - the ALH Group of hotels is 70+ % owned by Woolworths Limiited. And the bulk of those hotels operate poker machines. If a handful of those pubs happen to be onsite micro's, it's not their primary profit focus.

Well if they bought the Sail and Anchor to increase their profits from pokies they should have done more research as buying a pub to house pokies in WA would be a bit of a failure..... I was at the Sail and Anchor on Saturday and it was busy, beers were flowing and lots of food coming out to tables, I would say they bought it to tap into the the emerging craft beer market.

These big companies sometimes see that it isn't in their best interest to fight the "craft beer" movement, rather than that they take advantage of it. The same thing with Woolworths and their range of wines they release which look like they are from boutique Margaret River Wineries (see Cow Bombie Wines, which is named after a hectic surf break down in Margs, one would thing it was a up and coming winery but no its owned by Woolworths.) Even in the movie beer wars you see ranges of beers owned by Anheuser-Busch which depict craft beers. At the end of the day there is a market full of people who like something a little bit more special eg craft beer, or local wines and they big companies are trying to take their piece of the cake.

I don't agree with it and think its terrible that an institution like the Sail and Anchor is owned by ALH, but the beer is good, the waitresses are cute, I can get a beer on hand pump, I got to try an Oak Aged IPA on Saturday, and they are supporting homebrewing by having a competition such as this. Judging by the range of soon to be on tap beers on the board someone there loves beer and has a bit of artistic licence as to how the place is run.

Well if they bought the Sail and Anchor to increase their profits from pokies they should have done more research as buying a pub to house pokies in WA would be a bit of a failure..... I was at the Sail and Anchor on Saturday and it was busy, beers were flowing and lots of food coming out to tables, I would say they bought it to tap into the the emerging craft beer market.

Woolworths didnt specifically buy the Sail & Anchor. They bought a stake in a company that included many, many pubs, most of which have pokies. It wasn't a pick & choose transaction.

I'm thinking it needs to be prety close to the original beer, so following the brew log may be neccessary.

Hmmm poster calls for a 330ml bottle while conditions on the site call for 2 X 750ml bottles.

Nige

Clarified this bit with Matt from S&A. You will need to submit the 2 x 750ml....

I'm fairly new to the game, but wondering where the hell to find the Schooner Malt and Wilamette Hops....

-Scott

Why do they need!

Too control beer, fuel, food, pharmaceutical, and just about every other freaking thing

Talk about monopoly

Tax what tax

Clarified this bit with Matt from S&A. You will need to submit the 2 x 750ml....

I'm fairly new to the game, but wondering where the hell to find the Schooner Malt and Wilamette Hops....

-Scott

Schooner malt I don't think you'll find. Something like Joe White Trad Ale malt or similar should be fine as a sub. Willamette hops are fairly easy to get hold of. If your LHBS doesn't have them I'm sure one of the site sponsors will have them.

schooner malt is just a variety of grain, like maris otter/halycon and so on. But you probably won't find it sold as a single origin grain like the others... so what mika said ^

Schooner malt I don't think you'll find. Something like Joe White Trad Ale malt or similar should be fine as a sub. Willamette hops are fairly easy to get hold of. If your LHBS doesn't have them I'm sure one of the site sponsors will have them.

BB Ale used to be made from Schooner malt a couple of years ago, not sure if it still is.

The recipe calls for Willamette flowers - are NZ Wilamette much different to the US variety? I haven't ever used either.

I was a bit surprised that they didn't specify yeast, I was going to use this comp as an excuse to get some sort of English style liquid ale yeast to my just new collection.

Re: the judging - a swag of the most decorated judges/brewers of all ages have been roped in to judge the comp, & I'm pretty confident the likes of Roger Bussel & Barry Sexton should have a pretty solid recollection of the beer. Some ex S&A brewers that have produced Iron Brew in the past (inc Bill Hoedemaker) will be judging, & the rest I presume will be judging against the same description/profile that everyone has been provided. Unfortunately, as has been raised, it was a long time ago, and even who I consider to be the most notable beer judge in Australia has conceded that while he might have drunk a lot of Iron Brew in it's day, it was long before he had any kind of skill at beer evaulation.

So long as your beer is clean, balanced & free of faults you should have a pretty good chance!

I was a bit surprised that they didn't specify yeast, I was going to use this comp as an excuse to get some sort of English style liquid ale yeast to my just new collection.

S&A used to use the CUB house (lager) strain in the Iron Brew...

Well the big day is on Wednesday so goodluck!

I dropped off my mate and my entries on Saturday and had a chat with one of the managers, we should get tasting notes and yeah they will be having very small tasters to try and keep the palate clean.

good luck and best wishes to all that involved themselves with this comp
i hope that some lucky homebrewer gets to use a commercial system to produce there winning brew
speedie

s&a in th early days did in fact go up the road to matlida bay to pick up yeast which was there generic stuff
also there was a trip for the grain which would be put through the mill as there wasnt one at freo (sail)
speedo

Back