Iron Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the actual beer to be cloned sounds like a lighter version of SN Celebration ale?

the actual beer to be cloned sounds like a lighter version of SN Celebration ale?

A mate of mine recently brewed this, and its sitting in my fermenting fridge. The smell when I open the door is amazing. Lets hope he shares some of it with me. :D

So can any BJCP experts comment on what style category it would fall into ? The Iron Brew not the SN.

If I am correct, the beer has not been brewed comercially in years, so are we relying on the memories of some brewer to determine which one is "cloned"

Listen too the commotion that has erupted from one small post

Guys and gals do not FORGET who owns the pub

They dont do anything for us at the browser bottle shop chemist

Are there is nothing like the smell of capitalism

It will be brass monkey next

Sounds like wool something! :(

If I am correct, the beer has not been brewed comercially in years, so are we relying on the memories of some brewer to determine which one is "cloned"

That's a strange comp then. How do we know what to brew, and who are the judges qualified to comment on it being true to style if its some old forgotten beer?

I thought that the strong ale/19A - Old Ale might be a bit of a guideline for those of us wanting to try our hand at something different. Look at some of the following comparisons between the Iron Brew description and the BJCP description for Old Ale:

IB: very luscious caramel and toffee palate
19A: Flavour: a luscious malt complexity

IB: The aroma should be an intricate array of rich currant-like fruitiness, blackstrap molasses
19A: Aroma: Malty-sweet with fruity esters, often with a complex blend of dried-fruit, vinous, caramelly, molasses

IB: a very full colour, deep copper, with a hint of ruby
19A: Appearance: Light amber to very dark reddish-brown color

IB: (The aroma) /and higher alcohols, more reminiscent of liqueur.
19A: Flavour: oxidative flavors similar to a fine old Sherry, Port or Madeira. Alcoholic strength should be evident

IB: OG 1066, Bitterness 43 IBU, Alc/Vol 7%
19A: Vital Statistics: OG: 1.060 1.090, IBUs: 30 60, ABV: 6 9%

Being very new to the 'official' guidelines on beer styles, maybe Im not reading it right, but the Iron Brew comp sure sounds similar to the Old Ale style.

Listen too the commotion that has erupted from one small post

Guys and gals do not FORGET who owns the pub

They dont do anything for us at the browser bottle shop chemist

Are there is nothing like the smell of capitalism

It will be brass monkey next

Sounds like wool something! :(

What is your problem, you alerted us to the comp, and there's some interest from some members. You should be happy that people have stopped taking the mickey out of you and are focusing on the original post.

Just looked at the ownership, The Sail & Anchor in Fremantle is registered as a business of ALH Group Pty Ltd. From memory that's a company that includes about 40 pubs, and was bought out by Woolworths a few years ago. Correct? Either way, their website has a little icon saying "best Beer Venue/Best in State 2010" and theyre holding a comp for homebrewers. So regardless of the sinister commercial backing, a good beer pub that promotes alternatives to megabrews and also recognises small amateurs by holding an obscure comp is a good thing.

Isn't it?

The site has been updated and when you register they'll send out the original recipe from 1999.

Four months to brew a high alc% brew that as described in the style guidelines 'benefits from extended ageing' means that anyone who is intending to enter should probably get their skates on.

I think as a local you have to actually go in a pick up your brew log, all part of the sinister plan to get you in the door . :lol:
GB

Actually no.

I got my copy by doing the following:

Head off to the Sail and Anchor Website Here

Download and fill out the credit card details form and send it off to [email protected] attn Matt Marinich

A short while later Matt will reply with the brew sheet and your entered

Cheers

Asher

Edit: Asher beat me to it.

As mentioned comp is on ! Brewsheet available via credit card ($10), no need to rock up to the brewery if you're a local, unless of course you want to.
Included with the kit is the Style guide for English Old Ale. At ~7% ABV and 45IBU's, it would certainly benefit from some age, but everyone's going to be in the same boat. Interestingly enough, yeast strain hasn't been identified, so there's a fair bit of room to move.

No matter the ownership of the Sail, the brains behind the comp is a homebrewer and the Sail is typically a craft brew pub. Either way I look at it, it's good exposure for the Craftbrew movement.

the question is...do you follow the brew log or improve it blazing a new path.

the question is...do you follow the brew log or improve it blazing a new path.
I'm thinking it needs to be prety close to the original beer, so following the brew log may be neccessary.

Hmmm poster calls for a 330ml bottle while conditions on the site call for 2 X 750ml bottles.

Nige

i will post two words wool worths
correct me with i am wrong

OK.

Woolworths is 1 word
you meant "correct me if I'm wrong"
you should've used a comma instead of the 2nd line
"I" should be upper case
you used normal person font instead of speedie font

Apart from that I can't see too many problems with that post.

The place is owned by woolworths but it's 1 of the best pubs I've been to. There's not that many pubs around that stock a good variety of beer & if I went to WA again I'd be hoping to get back there. Given that you live in Freo I have to assume that either you drink at the sail & anchor or that I missed out on something really special.

hatchy you forgot to mention that Spee die posted more than two words. I see 13.

Never heard of wool worths...is it a new wool shop? I hope they only sell Australian wool.

I like the S&A...nice beer. nice place. nice food. Only place I've been to in Aus that has beer on the hand pump.

I like the S&A...nice beer. nice place. nice food. Only place I've been to in Aus that has beer on the hand pump.
Food's ok, but nice wait staff ;)
One thing that they suck at is service.... they really REALLY need to move meal orders from the bar back to the kitchen the way it was before, let the bar staff do drinks, kitchen staff do meals.
All the staff I've talked to hate the current system, typical management not having a clue.

But yeah, in every other way, great place!
I wouldn't kill the day there(perving ;)) every Sunday if it weren't.

Whos in with woolies gig

If you take your voucher you can redeem at least a middy \or one pastie off the shopping bill

Dont forget that they own chemists, liquior stores pubs super marts fuel stops

All the good stuff!

What a monopoly we have to chose from

Sorry Simon,

woolworths have bought out at least one brew pub here in QLD and shut it down. If I were you guys I would tell then to g^$ F@$$^

cheers

Browndog

Latest posts

Back