Irish Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macccc

Reaction score
Like to know if U :party: guys have a good recipe for the coopers Irish stout , I use coopers because it's the only beer I know that has the least amount off preservitives added as I'm Allergic to SO

like most of U guys I like a great complex dark chocolate flavours through out the beer
so i wait to your replies
Markus

Like to know if U :party: guys have a good recipe for the coopers Irish stout , I use coopers because it's the only beer I know that has the least amount off preservitives added as I'm Allergic to SO

like most of U guys I like a great complex dark chocolate flavours through out the beer
Markus

Never done it, but these people have:

http://www.hbkitreviews.com/view-id-89-coopers-stout.html

Cheers
Steve

I don't think it has any preservatives @ all. HB kits usually don't. The best simple recipe I can offer is to use the kit and a kilo of dried dark malt extract. If you wanna add extra hops Fuggles as aroma or a dry hopping would probably be in order. Bittering is not required with this kit. If you like a bit of residual sweetness like ye olde fashioned English stouts have you can also add about 100g of lactose to your additional fermentable bill.

If you're trying to get something approaching Coopers bottled stout I'd use two stout kits for a 25L batch plus 1 kilo dark dried malt extract and 1/2 a kilo of sugar. No extra hops as Coopers stout shows no hop flavour. If you wouldn't like it to be quite as bitter then substituting one kit for a can of 1.7Kg unhopped dark malt extract syrup will make a maltier beer, but perhaps too much.
This should give you about 6.2% alcohol which with priming sugar should get you close to the 6.3% the bottled version has.
If you're adventurous then a good quality yeast and a cool-side fermentation (21 degrees max) should make something pretty good.

I regularly make a variation on the Coopers stout kit using leatherwood honey which comes up beautifully every time:

1 x 1.7Kg Coopers stout kit
1 Kg dried light or dark malt extract
0.5 Kg leatherwood honey

A good quality yeast (I've had excellent results with both Wyeast Irish Ale and White Labs Burton Ale). I hear a lot of Saf dried yeasts are excellent. A neutral one like US-56 should be good, you don't want to mask the honey flavour).

I also have on occasion used finishing hops, but keep in mind that true-to-style stouts don't show hop flavour at all. If you're not concerned about styles then who cares, right?

MFS

I've currently got the following ingredients in the fermenter.

1 X 1.7kg Cooper's Irish Stout Can
1 X 1.7kg Morgan's Dark Ale Can
500g Dried Dark Malt Extract
500g Dried Corn Syrup
Safale S-04 Yeast
23L total volume

Just about ready to bottle and so far it's tasting nice and "stouty" straight from the fermenter.

Markus
Your better brands such as brewcraft international (homebrand Muntons), malt shovel, Mountmellick, etc, Muntons, shouldnt have any preservitives. so you should be safe with any of them. or if you are really worried you should look into making extract brews which are simple. you just need a big pot to boil all your malt extract in. Bconnery has a heap of extract brew recipes that im sure he'll happily share. Otherwise there are a few extract recipes on the AHB recipes page. I have a few (10 or so) , so PM me if you want them.

Markus
if your after a pearler of a stout recipe try this ...its excellent gear ...don't see why she wouldn't work with the irish stout kit

1.7 kg tin of coopers stout
1.35 kg LDM
250 g malto dextrin

specialty grains

150 g chocolate [steeped 70-80/c then boiled 1/2 hour]
150 g roast barley [steeped 70-80/c then boiled 1/2 hour]

hops schedule
25 g fuggles @15-20 mins
8 g willamette @ 10 mins
8 g willamette @ 1mins
8 g amarillo @ 1 mins

yeast us -56 or whatever its called these days