Iphone Or Android

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If your not interested in all the bells and whistles these phones offer, and they do offer a lot, and your main concern is music why not just stick with a top of the range music player?

Andrew

Thanks for your input.I dont want two devices when I could have them built into one.

As I am pretty careful with my phones (well, not counting the last smartphone I hurled at a concrete wall) I think I will go for the Galaxy S (version 1)

CHeers for all the feedback

As I am pretty careful with my phones (well, not counting the last smartphone I hurled at a concrete wall) I think I will go for the Galaxy S (version 1)

I recommend the melko case if you do, and asap, damage was done to mine pre case.

I recommend the melko case if you do, and asap, damage was done to mine pre case.

Nice cases, I had once very similar for my Nokia a5800, but it was a chinese knock off for a 1/4 of the price.

You can only upload songs via iTunes, which means I cant simply 'drag & drop' files as I have in the past
iTunes converts Mp3 to .wav,

No it doesn't. iTunes natively supports MP3, AAC, AIFF(like WAV), WAV and ALAC (like FLAC)

iTunes also has the option to convert your music to whatever 128kbps AAC (or whatever) as it copies to your iPhone to save space, but leaves the PC copy in it's original format

therefore duplicating the somg files on my PC

Nope.

When you first fire up iTunes it will ask if you want it to scavenge music from all over your hd, say no

It also has the option to copy music to it's library, or just use the music wherever it is currently.

It also has the option to keep the music in your library sorted on disk. Some people don't like this. Me I like it, sorting your mp3s by hand is so 90s

Or worse.. I have heard stories that iTunes, combined with iPhone, will convert ALL music files on my PC to their format.

Nope, but this could also be confusing the options I described above, which are optional

This is a big no-no for me, as I am an amateur muso, and have a lot of files that should never have anything to do with my portable music player

Just don't allow the full hd scan and only add the music you want to to itunes

I need to register with the iTunes store, and log in every time I do something with file transfers

You do need to register, but you only need to enter your password to confirm iTunes purchases, that's pretty much the only time, and if you want you can disable that, but do you really want to be able to spend money with a single click ;)

So, should I look at the iPhone, a brand that has a long reputation for portable music ? My concerns are as follows, and correct me if I'm wrong on the following:
  • You can only upload songs via iTunes, which means I cant simply 'drag & drop' files as I have in the past
  • iTunes converts Mp3 to .wav, therefore duplicating the somg files on my PC
  • Or worse.. I have heard stories that iTunes, combined with iPhone, will convert ALL music files on my PC to their format. This is a big no-no for me, as I am an amateur muso, and have a lot of files that should never have anything to do with my portable music player
  • I need to register with the iTunes store, and log in every time I do something with file transfers

How much better is the iPhone than a new generation smartphone ? Love to hear especially from people who have used both regularly.

Think I've already corrected most of the misunderstandings. I'd personally say, just get the phone which has a built in iPod ;)

Cheers, but in the end I went with the Galaxy, picked one up today.

For me, personally definitely the iPhone - it took over my heart as the i took over the world. It is simple and beautiful in its look but ridiculously clever in all its available apps... I really like, appreciate and enjoy that.

Latest posts

Back