IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
koolkuna said:
Looks like some serious beers on the list I have to try Gauge Roads IPA what's that like ?
The sleeping giant isnt actually too bad, wouldn't be a patch on some of the others mentioned here, but for cheap run of the mill IPA its ok, quite bitter and not as hoppy and fresh as some of the others mentioned.

Gage Roads Single Fin is a nice drop but more of a summer ale.

Coodgee said:
Depends how fresh they are. I really like fixation ipa because it's usually very fresh
I agree, another very good one for the list, and agree on the freshness too.

Looking like a big weekend coming up. I'm going to buy a mixed dozen. Keep the suggestions coming [emoji106][emoji3]

Fortitude ANZUS IPA if you can get it, also seconding the Fixation and Hawthorn Australian IPA calls.

Pernicious Weed from Garage Project in NZ is a cracker, and just had some Oskar Blues IPA from the US which uses all Aussie hops and is delicious.

Check out the date on IPAs before you buy them. Try some English IPAs too for comparison. I love both styles. The Shepards Neame IPA at Dans isnt too bad.

Go sam smith's india for a tasty uk comparison.

Fuller's is also good.

Coodgee said:
they're all so bloody expensive though. For a couple of 4 packs of these beers one could brew a keg full.

Gives us an inspiration on what to aim for

My inspiration is that you try a commercial beer 1st then go for your keg. And realise that your homebrew is better!! WOW. can't believe some guys pay top dollar for rubbish.

I find IPA's especially need to be drunk from the keg, always a bit disappointing in a bottle.
Currently in the fridge is Bridge Road Bling Bling and Kaiju Aftermath. Love these two beers and always like a few on hand to compare clones with.

manticle said:
Gives us an inspiration on what to aim for
Yeah its good research. That's what i keep telling myself every time my wallet cops a beating

Very slowly savouring a Sculpin this very moment. Yes I could have invested all that money on a truly forgettable hamburger or a longneck of VB. Call me profligate.

Back