IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koolkuna

Reaction score
Okay guys tell what are the best IPA's that you have tried. Australian and imported??
I have just found my love for them after 50 years. My very first IPA was given to me at Xmas it was a Feral Hop Hog where do I go from there.

Akasha, Pirate Life, Murrays, Modus Operandi all do decent IPAs. Hop Hog is a shadow of its former self and i wouldn't even consider it an IPA and i don't think Feral have called it an IPA for quite some time. Start with some American Pale Ales before you destroy your palate with some serious IPAs!

. Founders centennial or Bells brewing Two hearted

Golden Road, Stone, Magic Rock, Lagunatis, Ballast Point, Epic, Brewdog.

Some good options from West Coast USA:
Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA
Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA
Green Flash West Coast IPA
and many more ...

The Hop Hog I had on tap last year was lovely.

Ballast Point Big Eye is my favourite from Dans.

I'm only fairly new to IPA's too, Alesmith from the US is pretty awesome. For something more local, another recommendation for Pirate Life and Murray's Fred IPA. If you can justify the cost, check out something like beercartel.com.au and go nuts!

Exit IPA 7% from VIC is excellent
Pirate Life IPA 6.8% (light blue can not the green session IPA) from SA is very good, the double IPA 8.8% (black can) is fantastic
From over the ditch I like the Heretic Evil Cousin (black/green can), I think this one is 7.8%
Modus Operandi Former Tenant is one of the best I tasted last year, more a Red IPA but absolutely gorgeous beer
Brewdog Punk IPA 6.2% is good but if you want Brewdogs best IPA go for the Jack Hammer 7%

And more mainstream that you will find in the likes of Dan's and relatively cheap the Hawthorn IPA 6.2% is actually not a bad drop too.

Commercially the one I liked the most was Mornington Peninsula IPA. It's not a style I go and seek out but found this one to be a standout.

The best IPA's I e had usually are home brewed by others.

koolkuna said:
Looks like some serious beers on the list I have to try Gauge Roads IPA what's that like ?
If you're going Gage Roads then Little Dove is the beer to go for.

Latest posts

Back