Iodophore In A Spray Bottle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeauVinnie

Reaction score
Gday guys

i read somewhere here that you cant really use iodophore in a spray bottle? any ideas why?

cheers

Yup, cos when its mixed up it starts to degrade in light, so will become increasingly ineffective..

IMO, starsan is the way to go!

Gday guys

i read somewhere here that you cant really use iodophore in a spray bottle? any ideas why?

cheers
You certainly can use it in a spray bottle, you just can't store it in a spray bottle.

Iodophor is de-natured by the combination of UV light and dilution with water. Saying this, it's still effective for about 12 to 24 hours, but if you leave the solution in the sun it will pretty quickly turn "clear", and no longer be effective as a sanitiser.

Starsan on the other hand...

Edit: Apologies to Reviled for restating what he said, albeit more verbosely. Must learn to fully read thread before replying.

On the other hand, it's so easy to mix up a litre of iodophor and it's so easy to use. With only 1ml per litre (i just use a 40cent syringe from the chemist) I've hardly dented my original little bottle of iodophor.

Horses for courses. I keep mine in a spray bottle in the fermenter fridge. I did a Ph test some time ago and the Ph was still good after two weeks. Doesn't really matter much as I make it up the day I brew and use most of it that day, I keep it in the fridge to spray the fermenter tap when taking hydro samples. I plan to switch to Starsan when my bottle runs out, if I live that long!

How long does Starsan last once made up and kept in a fridge?

Rook

Ok cool,

so the spray bottle is fine ya, 1ml to the litre and just spray the inside of the fermenter and tools etc before brewing and let it dry ya? Would that do the job?

And before bottling just 1ml a longie, fill with water, shake and transfer to the next, and so on ans so forth? Does this sound fair?

all up 2ml per brew/bottle session seems pretty economical to me

cheers

How long does Starsan last once made up and kept in a fridge?

Rook

if using RO water a long time, if using tap water not so long but way longer than iodophore.

now wheres my piece of string.

Really? I did not know this!
I'm not saying that the above info is wrong, I do however find it surprising that it would degrade over 24hrs, i've used half a litre one weekend then used the other half litre 1-2 weeks later, and never had an infection, but this doesn't necessarily mean that the sanitiser is working. I usually mx up 1.2mL a litre because of slight paranoia, and i don't trust the volume markings on any plastic bottle anymore.

As for it going clear, i left some in a bowl that was sanitising some bottle caps, i forgot to clean it up for about a month and it is still brown, it is a little lighter though. Is the colour change an accurate indicator of its effectiveness?

As i said, i'm not saying th above info is wrong, i will be now making up my iodophor as i need it, rather than storing it. Its so cheap anyway, i bought a bottle nearly 6months ago and i don't think that i'd even be a quarter of the way through!

1 x 250ml bottle of iodophore lasts me around 12 months - it's great stuff, spray bottle is a good way to go.

I've used iodophore thats been sitting in a spray bottle for months. Oops!

Oh well no problems thus far. For the fermenters/bottling I usually use 1L of newly diluted solution but use the spray for bits here and there. Looks like I won't be anymore!

IIRC Iodophor is active as long as it is still brown yellow colour. Good indicator the colour. When I leave it in an open bucket it usually goes clear within a couple of days.

At 10ml to 10litres of water just as easy to make up a new batch each new brewday.

Colour is a good indication.
I keep a clear squeeze bottle (like a plastic sauce bottle) full in my keg fridge to rinse the taps with.
It stains the bottle after a while so you have to tip it into a glass to check the colour.

I use it in a spray bottle, but make it up as needed in brewing/bottling day... It is just there in case I drop something and to spray taps before attaching hoses etc.

When my iodophor runs out in ~2016 i will probably get some starsan, simply because it keeps once mixed (with deionised water).

I've used iodophore thats been sitting in a spray bottle for months. Oops!

Oh well no problems thus far. For the fermenters/bottling I usually use 1L of newly diluted solution but use the spray for bits here and there. Looks like I won't be anymore!

+1 Oops

I have kept mine in sprayer until it runs out 500ml at a time sometimes I keep it for a month before all used up

oops

:,(

Its so cheap though, so why not just make up a new batch each time you need it, and avoid the risk.

Though Im interested in an earlier post about testing the pH for the solutions viability. Got any figures?

I keep a spray bottle of iodophor under the kitchen sink. I spray it liberally (not in the Mad Monk sense) on everything brewish.

I 'refresh' it every now and then. (Can't be specific. Maybe once every couple of weeks. Maybe longer.)

I am on tank water, 'fortified' with possum poo.

I have not had an infection since I started using iodophor. And that's about four years.

Latest posts

Back