Introduce Yourself.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G'day guys & gals. Im Josh (Josh SA). I just recently registered with AHB & thought id better thank you all for your assistance in the last 12 mths, as ive been scabbing lots of useful info from here. THANK YOU ALL.
I just bottled my 9th brew (all ales) & am happy with the results so far. always room for improvment though.
Ive brewd 2 kits with steeping grains then built a small esky with manifold for partials.
Im currently setting up for full boils then next a larger esky so i will be all grain.
Im very interested in the 3v rig in all its forms ( Gravity/pumps, Esky cooler/ RIMS /HERMS. etc) but my aim is quality beer at a good price.
My current brews are 1.5kg lme, 250-500gms dme, 2.5-3.0kg base&spec grains & im still using dry yeast.
In the near future, i will no doubt have many questions to ask of you all. Cheers for your help!
Any ADL members who frequent the Wheaty, let me know as i love avin a Beer there & am new to the "meet the brewer" thing.(never been, wed nite).
Talk to any of you soon. Josh.

Hi everyone,I've just started brewing and have learnt a lot from everyone on the forums. Thanks to you guys, I received the covetted, "it tastes like beer", compliment. I've currently got a small batch English Pale Ale in the primary and am watching the calendar tick over until I have space for another brew. I'm pretty keen on joining a brew club in Sydney. Can anyone recommend a club in the Inner West area?

Well I thought it was about time I introduced myself on here I've been a member long enough. I'm Gerad and I'm a 23 yr old uni student from toowoomba. I've been brewing for almost a yr and have 24 under my belt so far. I've just invested in kegs and am currently cooling my first one which should be ready to drink tomorrow. I brew extracts currently and plan to move to ag eventually but need more room first so that might have to wait a few years until I've finished uni. Cheers for all the help you guys on the forum have given me over the months you turned decent beer into good beer and soon hopefully excellent beer.

Evening guys!

Just thought I'd introduce myself.. My name is Phil, 24 years old from Perth. Been a member for a while, but have been "shy" lurking in the background, trying to soak up as much as I can. I have a kegerator setup, and have had a temp controller for ages but no fridge to use with it. I did give up on homebrew for a while but I work up north in the mines, so I thought I'd give it another crack (ah, why not leave it fermenting while I'm away for 2 weeks ? or carbonating and finding equilibrium)

I went on gumtree the other day and found a decent enough fridge, for free, around the corner from my place. Score! Hopefully this'll improve my beers (only kit + kilos for now, until I get it right) :D

There seems to be alot of useful information around here. Thanks guys. Can't wait to churn out a few great brews and hopefully (eventually) step into AG territory.

Cheers
Phil

By way of introduction, heres a typical day at the brewery.

I had the day off today and it was such a nice sunny Autumn day I decided to work in the garden, preparing a potato bed for spring. Its a warm day so Im refreshing myself with some of my recent Stout Hitching Post. Ive hit the sweet spot in the keg and it tastes good. Molasses, coffee and bitterish dry charcoal.

My fellow brewer arrives. The Shed of Content is a brew collective; a few of us brew together, sharing tools, gear etc. He seems keen to test his most recently racked brew, a Canadian Blonde kegged on Mothers Day, 10 days ago. It seems early but by this time Ive had a few tankards of stout so I agree that its a splendid idea. Another mate arrives and its unanimous, lets crack the keg. My mate racks his brews into two kegs. About 17 litres into one and about 4 into another. This smaller amount is known as his tester.

Initial odour is predominantly vinegar with enough power to immediately clear my sinuses. Yeasty and bitter and all wrong. I feel like Gary Glitter or Michael Jackson; if I was in Germany Id probably be arrested for interfering with a beer so young.

Heres the crisis. We only have one beer line operational at the moment. For experimental reasons, its running through two temp-rites. It takes 4-5 schooners to pull through the new beer. We all agree we need to switch back to the sublime stout and let the Canadian reach legal age. But how do we deal with the next 5 schooners of vinegar?

We have a brainwave. I have one tallie of Sheaf Stout. Well make black and tans. It works; the beer is now just drinkable. After a few of these its time to call it a day. Then we discover the disaster. We forgot to switch back to the stout; everyone assumed the other bloke would do it. So now I have to back up tomorrow afternoon and do it again, but Im out of Sheaf. Time to harden up I suppose. On a positive note, I did detect a nice hint (very well hidden) of butterscotch in the Canadian. Touch wood it develops into a fine drop.

vinegar and butterscotch! its not looking to good but may age fine :huh: Oh and welcome lol

Hello People - I am now 'formally' on board with the Forum! Have been lurking a bit and am ready to get a bit more sophisticated with my beer making (my excuse to make more good beer!). Great community and great people. Cheers

Hi Guys, thought Id introduce myself too :)

I started brewing at the start of the year, started with kits, and very very quickly moved onto extracts after lurking these forums. Will be going AG at the end of the year once SWMBO gives me my wallet back.

The information on these forums has helped me immensely and I wouldn't be making half decent beer without you guys!

I hope to be able to add some constructive responses to people in the coming months too.

Cheers!

Hi guys,
The name's Dave.
I Recently got into brewing and I'm planning a small case sized (10l) biab batch this weekend as my first brew.
In the meantime, I'm building a simple cooler mash tub for multiple vessel brewing and collecting 750 ml corked chimay bottles to bottle Belgian dubbels in.... Could take a while...
I'm also looking to build a 3 tap keg fridge to keep my 3 favorites on tap at all times - a hoppy beer, a wheat beer & a malty beer.... Fairly broad categories I know! But what can I say... I like good beer!
Be good to hear any tips or tricks you might have to assist me in my first brew
Cheers,Dave

Hi all,

Name is Adam, live on the Gold Coast and I have been brewing for roughly 6 months. Got a Copper Tun brew kit and one case of bottles for Christmas and now I have done about 5 brews, doubled my bottle count and have another tub on the way haha very very addictive!!

Hi all.
Been hear for along time. My name is John and I live in Geraldton. I have been brewing on and of since I came to Perth in the 70s. than ended up in Karratha for 25 years and in Geraldton for 13 years.
Have done over 100 BIAB, now I have gone mad and aquired a BM. Iam not the best speller in the world so please for give me Thats it for now.
Chears John :beer:

Hi all,

I've been hanging around here for a few years and smacked together a simple esky/keg system which friends and I have been brewing AG in for a similar time. I thought I'd finally say hello and start to participate on the forum as I've gained much from eveybody's discussions and shared information. I live in the Inner West in Sydney and generally just brew double batches of quaffers for the odd house party and a sharehouse full of part time alcoholics. Hopefully I'll get the inspiration soon to increase the control over temps and volumes to finally get some consistency in our brews.

Steve.

Hello there fellow makers of Alcoholic beverages My name is Brentice

I live in Wangaratta in the north east region of Victoria
I am a Maintenance fitterer at a well know cereal and snacks manafacturer in north east country victoria
I ride dirtbikes but since an injury (seperated ligaments in my knee) before christmas i have tried my hand at brewing some of the amber gold we like to call Beer
I have done half a dozen kit beers and i am now in the process of doing partial extracts with the intentions of one day in the future trying my hand at all grain
So yeah any hoo hello and cheers and beers and all that

Cheers B) B) B)

Hi Everyone,
Thought i probably should introduce myself as i have now bottled my 1st ever Home Brew (a 150 Lashes type Pale Ale) and have 1 week to go before i crack a bottle and give it a try! Bloody excited!!!!!
I wanna say thanks straight off the bat cause i have been scouring these forums on everything from beginner kits to Sanitisers and am hoping with all your help i will stick with this and eventually be helping the new guy.
I brought a starter kit from my local (Country Brewer) and have found a wealth of knowledge which i will be tapping! not to mention his Test beers in shop.

I'm 28 years young and i come from Maitland, NSW and i am a Diesel fitter working in a Coal Mine in the Hunter Valley. And i look forward to catching up with you all at some stage! :chug:

Hey everyone,
Just rejoineed the forum. I used to brew all grain a few years ago but relocated a bit over a year ago and my gear is in storage. I have just got back into brewing and am pretty excited about it. Just tweaking some kits at the moment. Hopefully making some good beer. Bottling my first brew this weekend. It's a best bitter based on a coopers kit. Can't wait to see how it turns out! Happy to be part of the brewing community again.
Cheers,
Happyrock

Hi, Just joined the forum - jwhite1913, been a brewer for a very long time - I am interested in "mock" beers, what books you refer to and easy ingredients.

So; my last "mock beer" is apple ale,

1.5kg Apples

30g root ginger

cloves , cinnamon, 500g sugar - 5litres water + yeast

Outcome: Got more like a fizzy wine with age, wife thought it crap compared to cider.

Books: Home Brewed Beers and stouts - CJJBerry; The Home Brewers companion - Charlie Papazian ; The great Australian Home Brew Book (found at a throw out). Do it yourself Wine and Beermaking publisher grange.

I hate and love Charlie Papazian, CJJ Berry is the best - but old school.

Easy Ingredients

Okay just this week put on a coopers stout mix+ Chocolate ice cream topping From ALDI + 1Kg Light Malt fermented at 21C - 23 litres

All up about $15 for 23 litres - fermentation going like a rocket and ...... who knows what it tastes like !

Please add me to your correspondence as I need to talk to people of the same interest.

Hi Everyone, My name is Grant, I live at Penrith in NSW and have just started home brewing, I have bottled about 6 weeks ago a Coopers Canadian Blonde and about 3 weeks ago I bottled a Morgans Wheat Beer, In the very near future I will be brewing a Cerveza. As I am just setting up my new 23L SS keg system I'm hoping to have this as my first tap beer.
I'd like to take this moment to thank everyone on this forum for all the information I have gleaned over the past few weeks that have helped me decide on what to do with regards to my setup. I hope that at some point I may be able to help others as others have helped me.

Hey Grant,

Firstly welcome to the boards...

But more importantly, I think your choice to keg straight up is the best one you will make when you look back.. while pouring the worlds best beers!

Read up, post away and welcome.

Some forums are not quite as welcoming and as knowledgeable a community as you will find here!

Cheers!

BTW: I am only a noob too....

:icon_chickcheers:

Hey Fellow brewers,

Im GTSBrewer, I started making kit beer bout four years ago then went to extract and mini mashes. i have recently finished building my 3v brew system using three 50lt kegs and have made coopers sparkling, stella, kirin and a fat yak clone so far AG still waiting to taste. I have kegs and thankfully have done for 3 years now best move i have ever made :) . Im in Perth and 29 years of age. have just recently setup a fermenting fridge so interested in seeing the difference in the brews.
I work south of perth as a Process Technician making Ammonia, Ammonium Nitrate and Nitirc Acid.
I have also found this site very useful in finding lots of info.

Well chow for now and happy brewing :)

:beer:

Hello all,I am an American now in Perth for the next year, and would like to hook up with the local brewing scene.I started with kits in 1986, then AG from 2004 on. Back to kits for this year most likely.
First thing is to get outfitted with a fermenter!
Looking forward to meeting some WA members soon.Anthony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back