Introduce Yourself.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone I thought I better introduce myself my name is Pumpy.

I am a Pome , I have lived in Australia 21 years I am Naturalised but people still ask me where I come from as I speak with a funny accent , I am a baby boomer and refuse to grow old, one day I am gunna grow up!.
I first brewed a concentrate over 25 years ago ,to my recollection it tasted rough , a girlfriend used to bring me around kilos of hops as she worked in the Carlsberg brewery in Northampton , at the time I just flung a few in my brew( dumped most of them 4kg hops), my mother used to brew wine and I helped her a lot and I could make Elderflower champage which was a bit like a spumante with a beautiful flavour I remember tying the corks down ,It was fantastic .

I started brewing againin Australia just over a year ago with kits and kilo but whilst initial results went well ,I think I was brewing in too high temperatures and generally results were poor ,at this stage I nearly gave up .

I used to read the US sites where they had all manner of fancy gear and thought I would like to do that ,a friend got me a couple of old legal kegs and I then thought how I going to cut these and set to work cutting the lids off with a dremmel.
There was still a long way to go it took about four months to get everything to start.
I was surprised how many little bits and tools I had to buy to do all the little jobs and still going ,I am not that fantastic with building things, but sometimes surprise myself (I dont give up easily),I ask engineers at work,read the net and use other peoples brains cuz I dont have many cells left .

My first All grain brew, I think everything went wrong that could of and pulled the grain out twice of the tun, that day seven hours later after the slowest sparge I put the yeast in, at that stage I was happy, but I had to sit down and reassure myself this was my first batch and I am sure it would improve there was a learning process.

It was if I was blindly on a mission to brew real beer with no real experience but I believed I could do it .

I brewed another seven batches of the same Ale recipe and a brown ale also a wheat & a Bok fresh wort kit , beer was everywhere was everywhere.
I assured the Missus I would stop until after Christmas and there is now not many batches left.
I made a new years resolution to try to make different beers and lagers, which required more gear, lagers take longer.
I really know little about brewing but the results I am very happy with,I have learned 90% of what I know from reading the Palmer book and reading the forum postings and some great help from a few guys on the forums who have gone out of there way to give me good advise .and point me in the right direction for that I am very grateful.

Thanks everyone!!

Pumpy

I think that make's three now from the Macarthur area, maybe more.

Welcome to all the new people, this list is growing faster than I can read sometimes. :D
Good luck with your brewing!!

Cheers

Hi all, nickname Norm (something to do with body shape) real name Rob.
From Castlemaine, central Vic. 54 years young.
Started brewing about 10 years ago, started kegging in Nov. 2001, had a work accident in Feb. 2002 (electrocuted 22,000 Volts, shit did that make the hair stand up :blink: ), only started brewing again a couple of months ago.
Didn't realise what I'd been missing.

Welcome to all the new brewers to the forum.
Happy brewing. :chug: :chug:

Geez Norm, you must really light up parties, eh! :lol:

Welcome, all!

Cheers - Snow

Yeah, welcome fellas.

Shawn.

G'day guys, name's Adrian I live in Springfield in SE Queensland. I'm about 20 years old, a graduate engineer. I came over from the Brewboard (Homebrew Adventures - based in the States).
Looking forward to finally talking to some people who speak my language and have some good advice for brewers in Australia - cause I know there's a lot of them!
Favourite styles are mostly the German stuff but I'm a fan of English ales as well... dunkels, hefeweizens, pilseners, but you can't beat a good stout.
Cheers guys,
Adrian

EDIT: I kind of resent being called an amateur brewer though... :p

Hi guys, My name is Peter and you guessed I live in wagga wagga NSW. Ive been brewing as long as i can care to remember. I was bought up in a swiss/austrian heritage and brewing is second nature to most of my family. I love all styles of beer making and I love nothing more than to see the smiles on my friends faces when they ask "Did you make this"
I also am very interested from time to time in getting bulk orders for hops and grain happening on this lovely site. I have accounts with a maltster and a hop supplier as well. I usually order for my family, but I see that this is a close knit family as well.

I am very interested in getting a wagga wagga craft brewing club up and running so if you are or know of any wagga people please feel free to drop me a line on [email protected]

Thanks Guys

Peter

Hi guys,

I've been lurking for a few months and have finally got around to introducing myself. I'm a 32yo project manager and have been brewing(Kits with extras) on and off since I was 18. I was brewing lagers in the cool bathroom during winter until I acquired a fridge about 9 months ago and now brew year round. I am about to make the plunge into mashing. I have soaked up plenty of info on AHB and have been inspired to modify the esky into a mash tun(The missus will never notice.....will she).

Cheers guys and thanks for all the info, I hope I have some knowledge tucked away that may be of use.

Chilla

Welcome to the list Dunkel Boy, Peter in Wagga & Chillamacgilla.

Dunkel Boy - tell 'em you're a Craftbrewer.

I introduced myself in the Off Topic forum but I'll make it official. I go by HumDum, from Houston, Texas where it's hot and humid as all get out. Been brewing since August 2002 and All Grain since May 2004. I don't take this hobby too seriously, but I do enjoy the fruits of my labor seriously. Joined your forum to see how its done Down Under. Howdy Y'all.

hey everyone im barls ive been brewing for 2 years now and just starting to refine the process.

Hi barls I'm Tristan and it's about time I introduced my self as well, I now live in Brisbane and having a few HBS around is the best thing as I have just moved from the town Batz hails from. I got a keg fridge two weeks ago with two pin lock kegs and have ordered more ball lock kegs from usedequip on ebay. I've only been assisting fermentation for about a year now but I've recently bought a brewing book that has answered a lot of questions about AGing for me and I'm going to start to build up my gear, hope to start AGs this year. :)

Hi all

This is my first post here :beer:

Ive been brewing from coopers beers kits but im just starting to get into all grain brewing

Any tips for a Newbie to this area of Brewing

What part of Brizzy you living, Wort?

Hi Chiefman

What area are you in? AG seems daunting, but the easiest way to start is to get "invited" to another AG'ers place and see their kit. It makes it a lot easier if you can see a working system and ask questions.

Cheers
Pedro

PS Add your location to your profile

Im in Sydney are there any clubs that have open nights where one could watch the proccess in action :beer:

Welcome to AHB Cheifman and Wort.

Chiefman, Pat Casey is doing an AG demo at his Blue Mountains brewshop this weekend
Details in this topic

Beers,
Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back